Poll

East
8 (61.5%)
West
3 (23.1%)
Even
2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Poll: Better Conference- East or West?  (Read 1366 times)

Poll: Better Conference- East or West?
« on: October 29, 2021, 11:32:05 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
I’m thinking the tide is finally turning as the West use to have better teams in the past, but now East looking good with Bulls, Knicks, Cavs & Wiz looking good..Got Bucks, Nets, Miami, Atlanta & Philly possibly being top 5..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Re: Poll: Better Conference- East or West?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 11:51:26 AM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1820
I’m thinking the tide is finally turning as the West use to have better teams in the past, but now East looking good with Bulls, Knicks, Cavs & Wiz looking good..Got Bucks, Nets, Miami, Atlanta & Philly possibly being top 5..

Hey what about those Cs?
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 11:53:54 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1553
West has way more good teams, though Milwaukee is pretty clearly the best team in the sport and the Thunder are pretty clearly the worst team in the sport.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 01:03:21 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2413
Let's see:

Tier One - Title Contenders

East - Milwaukee, Brooklyn and maybe Miami
West - Denver, Phoenix, Utah

Tier Two - Above average teams

East - Philly, Boston, Atlanta, New York, maybe Miami
West - Golden State (when Klay returns)

Tier Three - Average teams

East - Charlotte, Chicago, maybe Toronto
West - Dallas, Portland, LA Lakers, Memphis, maybe New Orleans

Tier Four - Below average teams

East - Indiana, Washington, maybe Toronto
West - San Antonio, LA Clippers, Minnesota, Sacramento, maybe New Orleans

Tier Five - Lousy teams

East - Detroit, Orlando, Cleveland
West - Houston, OKC

Conclusions

They look comparable at the top of the ticket (title contenders). East has more above average teams by a large margin (4-5 vs 1) while the West has more average teams (4-5 vs 2-3) and below average teams (4-5 vs 2-3). Similar number of lousy teams (3 vs 2 East).

I am not sure one really stands out over the other. East has more of a claim to it for it's superior above average teams vs average blandness of the West.

West's average teams are a lot more dangerous than the East. They are average because of failures to round out teams rather than failures of top end talent. Both Dallas and Lakers could and should be higher / better than they are. They have more upwards mobility and could get to title contender status easier than some East teams that are currently comparable or better than they are due to superior balance / depth.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 01:11:23 PM by Who »

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 01:44:02 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1687
Super early, but I feel like the East may have three teams that I'd take over the West's best team in the playoffs (especially if Kyrie ever decides to actually play basketball).  That has to count for a lot, even if I think the West's second tier is stronger than the East's. 

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 03:39:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1553
Super early, but I feel like the East may have three teams that I'd take over the West's best team in the playoffs (especially if Kyrie ever decides to actually play basketball).  That has to count for a lot, even if I think the West's second tier is stronger than the East's.
what is the 3rd team?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2021, 04:12:32 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Pointed out this could happen before season started and it appears that it is playing out that way early. Bucks, knicks, bulls, hawks, Philly, brooklyn, heat, all appear like they will be solid, cavs and wizards seem to be rapidly improving. Worried about how celtics and pacers have looked so far. Only clearly awful East team is Detroit. This is all happening with two all stars sitting out (irving and simmons). Would be surprised if East doesn’t go over .500 against west. Very deep conference.

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2021, 04:39:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Way, way, way to early to tell.

Why are so many trying to make definitive calls on the state of conferences, teams, coaches and players for this season after just 5-6 games of the season being played? It's happening all over this site. How about we maybe, oh I don't know, have some patience and let the season play out for 20-40 games before trying to assign absolutes regarding the performances of conferences, teams, coaches and players in the league.

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2021, 04:55:18 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Why are so many trying to make definitive calls on the state of conferences, teams, coaches and players for this season after just 5-6 games of the season being played? It's happening all over this site. How about we maybe, oh I don't know, have some patience and let the season play out for 20-40 games before trying to assign absolutes regarding the performances of conferences, teams, coaches and players in the league.

I mean Nick it is a forum with hundreds of daily posts (if not a thousand). Should we not observe some impressive wins by the East early on? I don’t think anyone is trying to say crazy stuff like nets will be in the lottery not the cavs will win the chip.

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2021, 05:14:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I mean Nick it is a forum with hundreds of daily posts (if not a thousand). Should we not observe some impressive wins by the East early on? I don’t think anyone is trying to say crazy stuff like nets will be in the lottery not the cavs will win the chip.
It's one thing to talk about a few good or bad wins. It's another to make definitive determinations about the conferences, teams, coaches or players after so few games, which is kinda the point of this thread, at least for conferences and teams.

Too often in the past great teams and players start slow and get rolling after 20-30 games. The opposite is also true. Perfect example is Orlando. A few seasons ago they started out hot very early only to absolutely suck the rest of the year. Milwaukee was 2-3 last year and went on to win the title. There dare so many examples of this type of stuff.