Author Topic: If Danny dropped Carsen Edwards a year earlier do we keep Bane?  (Read 5013 times)

If Danny dropped Carsen Edwards a year earlier do we keep Bane?
« on: September 26, 2021, 04:08:31 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Well, my long Bane thread is even more aggravating because we held on to Edwards, Semi, etc so we didn't have a spot for Bane. Bane would've been a perfect role player for this team.

Re: If Danny dropped Carsen Edwards a year earlier do we keep Bane?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 04:52:15 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Don't worry I'll be just like you about the Horford trade. C's missed out on Murphy and Sengun.

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 05:28:59 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Well, my long Bane thread is even more aggravating because we held on to Edwards, Semi, etc so we didn't have a spot for Bane. Bane would've been a perfect role player for this team.

No.  Danny traded Bane to dump Enes Kanter so that we would have cap/tax room for Hayward or a trade involving him, but then we just wound up with Tristan Thompson whom we dumped so we could bring back Enes Kanter.

It had zero to do with Edwards.

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 05:48:36 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

No.  Danny traded Bane to dump Enes Kanter so that we would have cap/tax room for Hayward or a trade involving him, but then we just wound up with Tristan Thompson whom we dumped so we could bring back Enes Kanter.

That's even worse!

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 07:20:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Going to haunt you for years, isn't it? ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2021, 07:23:20 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

That trade still makes no sense to me.  It wasn't really necessary to trade the #30 to dump Kanter, since Portland took him into a trade exception for essentially no compensation.  It seems like Danny either didn't do his due diligence (unlikely), or he just preferred two #2s for the #30 pick (which seems unwise, but more likely).

That said, even if we kept the pick, I think Danny would have gone big (Tillman or Carey).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2021, 08:02:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

That trade still makes no sense to me.  It wasn't really necessary to trade the #30 to dump Kanter, since Portland took him into a trade exception for essentially no compensation.  It seems like Danny either didn't do his due diligence (unlikely), or he just preferred two #2s for the #30 pick (which seems unwise, but more likely).

That said, even if we kept the pick, I think Danny would have gone big (Tillman or Carey).
I think he also wanted to drop the salary of the pick
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2021, 08:11:27 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
Don't worry I'll be just like you about the Horford trade. C's missed out on Murphy and Sengun.

Except sacrificing the pick this year was a very necessary move as it allowed Boston to unload  Kemba and his albatross of a contract while  upgrading  the roster at the same time.

Trading the pick, which turned out to be  Bane while Keeping 4 of 5 G-leaguers on the roster was just a stupid move. Since Brad has taken over, almost all of those guys are gone.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 07:16:51 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
You make an assumption that no one knows, would DA have even drafted Bane at 30.  Still on the board were Carey, Tillman, and Oturu, bigs who would have filled a need plus Maledon, another need, although not as much since Pritchard was just drafted.  In addition, with the C's drafting Romeo and Aaron, does Bane fit, probably not. 

You should probably move on from this...
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2021, 07:32:07 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I am still super-confused when people say that we used a 1st to dump Kanter. First, the pick was only #30, not some awesome 1st, and second, I definitely believe Danny wanted the 2 future 2nds over a 3rd guaranteed contract rookie. Obviously he would have preferred a future 1st, but that was apparently just not on the table. As you mention with Kanter, compensation wasn't really required anyway, and I was under the assumption that he only picked up his PO once we determined a perfect fit for him in POR.

As for Bane, again, you make a good point, why would we take a player who projects to be a worse version of Nesmith when we literally just took Nesmith?

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2021, 07:39:14 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Except sacrificing the pick this year was a very necessary move as it allowed Boston to unload  Kemba and his albatross of a contract while  upgrading  the roster at the same time.

Trading the pick, which turned out to be  Bane while Keeping 4 of 5 G-leaguers on the roster was just a stupid move. Since Brad has taken over, almost all of those guys are gone.

I guess we'll see how things work out, but we are currently well into the tax as it is, so this year doesn't really matter. Also, you need to add Schroder's contract to Horford's since we would need a PG anyway.

As for next year, it really depends if we waive Horford. If we do, then we get a much bigger tax savings.  OKC just saved $20M by waiving Kemba, though. Hopefully Horford proves to be more valuable than Kemba. I believe that is possible - mostly because the Schroder signing offsets much of the loss of Kemba - but I'm not going to pretend that Kemba wasn't an All-Star/All-Star caliber player who took a lot of the pressure off of the Jays.

Sengun (or the two future 1sts) is a tough pill to swallow for somewhat of a sideways move - both on the court and financially.

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2021, 05:29:14 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

I guess we'll see how things work out, but we are currently well into the tax as it is, so this year doesn't really matter. Also, you need to add Schroder's contract to Horford's since we would need a PG anyway.

As for next year, it really depends if we waive Horford. If we do, then we get a much bigger tax savings.  OKC just saved $20M by waiving Kemba, though. Hopefully Horford proves to be more valuable than Kemba. I believe that is possible - mostly because the Schroder signing offsets much of the loss of Kemba - but I'm not going to pretend that Kemba wasn't an All-Star/All-Star caliber player who took a lot of the pressure off of the Jays.

Sengun (or the two future 1sts) is a tough pill to swallow for somewhat of a sideways move - both on the court and financially.

Feel like if this was true, he’d still be in Boston. Instead he was traded, Immediately waived and then signed with the Knicks for a fraction of what he was making. His contract has him earning $8M this season and $9m next. Think that says enough.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2021, 11:39:39 AM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 85

Feel like if this was true, he’d still be in Boston. Instead he was traded, Immediately waived and then signed with the Knicks for a fraction of what he was making. His contract has him earning $8M this season and $9m next. Think that says enough.

Yes, but that doesn't account for the money he's making from being bought out by the Thunder. 

He's making a nice chunk of change this year all combined.

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2021, 02:40:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Bane was picked for Memphis and Danny had already taken two 3 point shooters in Nesmith and Pritchard. It is very possible, and maybe even likely since the team took Langford the year before, that Ainge would have drafted someone other than Bane.

At some point you just got to let it go, Liam.

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2021, 02:40:42 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Yes, but that doesn't account for the money he's making from being bought out by the Thunder. 

He's making a nice chunk of change this year all combined.

The buyout money is irrelevant. His market value as a player is 8-$9M a year. He’s clearly not an all star caliber player anymore.