Author Topic: Simmons to Golden State rumor Rusillo  (Read 7441 times)

Re: Simmons to Golden State rumor Rusillo
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2021, 10:09:34 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I doubt Philly ends up with anything much better than Wiggins and Wiseman and picks/prospects.

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2021, 10:46:46 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Completely hypothetical question: Do you guys think Simmons would be a good fit next to Jokic? The two of them would form arguably the best passing duo in NBA history (Bird and Walton come to mind as well, but Walton was way past his prime at the time). Thing is, would Jokic be at his best if the Nuggets paired him with a pass-first Point Forward? Or would it be better for them to surround Jokic with score-first players?

To put it another way, can 2 elite pass-first players coexist in the same lineup? Going by the success of Walton next to Bird, they definitely can. Bird didn't have pass-first mentality, but he's one of the best passers of all time. The ball movement on that Celtics team was out of this world!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Td5QRfzj4

The way I see it, passing is contagious. You can never have enough passers, sort of like you can never have enough shooters. I'd love to see Simmons on the Nuggets. Don't think it will happen. Just saying.

I cannot think of a team that would want Simmons less than Denver.
okay, but i am curious to know why you think this way. thanks.
Simmons gives you elite defense, passing and athleticism along with power forward size. To take advantage of his skills, you need to run as much as possible. He also forces you to adapt to possibly the most severe absence of shooting skills ever seen by a non-center in league history.

Denver already has the best passing big man in the game, and he isn't a runner. He' doesn't need playmaking help. Murray doesn't need help. Porter doesn't need help. They all want the ball.

They also have Aaron Gordon who they just extended for 4 years at 92M, who isn't as elite as Simmons at anything, but gives you a versatile top tier athlete at power forward who can cover a lot of different players, but without the drama, and without the shooting psychosis. He's one of the very few players in the league who has anything similar to Simmon's athleticism and size. He fits in and seems happy there.

Everything Simmons is really great at, Denver has a very good solution for already. Why would they upend everything and take a wild chance that Simmons will bring better chemistry?

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2021, 11:16:28 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Completely hypothetical question: Do you guys think Simmons would be a good fit next to Jokic? The two of them would form arguably the best passing duo in NBA history (Bird and Walton come to mind as well, but Walton was way past his prime at the time). Thing is, would Jokic be at his best if the Nuggets paired him with a pass-first Point Forward? Or would it be better for them to surround Jokic with score-first players?

To put it another way, can 2 elite pass-first players coexist in the same lineup? Going by the success of Walton next to Bird, they definitely can. Bird didn't have pass-first mentality, but he's one of the best passers of all time. The ball movement on that Celtics team was out of this world!

The way I see it, passing is contagious. You can never have enough passers, sort of like you can never have enough shooters. I'd love to see Simmons on the Nuggets. Don't think it will happen. Just saying.

Simmons gives you elite defense, passing and athleticism along with power forward size. To take advantage of his skills, you need to run as much as possible. He also forces you to adapt to possibly the most severe absence of shooting skills ever seen by a non-center in league history.

Denver already has the best passing big man in the game, and he isn't a runner. He' doesn't need playmaking help. Murray doesn't need help. Porter doesn't need help. They all want the ball.

They also have Aaron Gordon who they just extended for 4 years at 92M, who isn't as elite as Simmons at anything, but gives you a versatile top tier athlete at power forward who can cover a lot of different players, but without the drama, and without the shooting psychosis. He's one of the very few players in the league who has anything similar to Simmon's athleticism and size. He fits in and seems happy there.

Everything Simmons is really great at, Denver has a very good solution for already. Why would they upend everything and take a wild chance that Simmons will bring better chemistry?
Because Porter is developing into a #1 option and is going to want the ball more.  They very well might have very real problems when Murray is back trying to figure out who is getting the ball.  It is very difficult to have 3 top tier scorers all get enough touches.  Simmons for Porter alleviates a lot of that concern.  Porter, Gordon, Morris for Simmons, Maxey. 

Denver would still have a great trio at the top - Jokic, Murray, Simmons, and still have enough depth to form a contender with Maxey, Barton, Green, Compazzo, Bol Bol, etc.

Philly gets a "star" in Porter and solid depth.  Porter becomes a clear #2 option behind Embiid (he is way better as scorer than Harris). 

I could also see a Murray for Simmons swap making some sense depending on Murray's knee.  Something like Simmons for Murray and a couple of 1st's could work.  Sixers wouldn't have Murray till midseason, but they aren't going to have Simmons at all so I'm not sure that matters as much from a basketball standpoint.  Just depends on how Murray heals up on whether that is a viable type trade.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2021, 12:03:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Because Porter is developing into a #1 option and is going to want the ball more.  They very well might have very real problems when Murray is back trying to figure out who is getting the ball.  It is very difficult to have 3 top tier scorers all get enough touches.  Simmons for Porter alleviates a lot of that concern.  Porter, Gordon, Morris for Simmons, Maxey. 

Denver would still have a great trio at the top - Jokic, Murray, Simmons, and still have enough depth to form a contender with Maxey, Barton, Green, Compazzo, Bol Bol, etc.

Philly gets a "star" in Porter and solid depth.  Porter becomes a clear #2 option behind Embiid (he is way better as scorer than Harris). 

I could also see a Murray for Simmons swap making some sense depending on Murray's knee.  Something like Simmons for Murray and a couple of 1st's could work.  Sixers wouldn't have Murray till midseason, but they aren't going to have Simmons at all so I'm not sure that matters as much from a basketball standpoint.  Just depends on how Murray heals up on whether that is a viable type trade.
Doesn't Brooklyn prove this is wrong? Didn't the Denver team prove it wrong before Murray got hurt?

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2021, 12:42:46 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Doesn't Brooklyn prove this is wrong? Didn't the Denver team prove it wrong before Murray got hurt?
Brooklyn's big 3 played 8 games together.  Let's see what a full season looks like.

In the 20 games directly after Murray went out Porter significantly increased his scoring up to 24.6 ppg on 16.8 shots.  In the 28 games before Murray went out (when Porter was starting) he averaged only 17.1 ppg on just 12.2 shots.  So that is the question, especially when Murray isn't going to start the year.  So when Murray comes back, which guy is taking the back seat, Porter or Murray and how does that actually affect them?  I think that is a real concern.  As there aren't going to be enough touches for all 3 of them (and Jokic is clearly getting his), especially when none of the 3 can defend worth a lick.    So they are going to have 3 ball dominant players that can't defend and that all should have shots.  I think it could be a real issue for them, which is why acquiring Simmons makes sense for them if it is something like Murray or Porter/Gordon with filler and maybe some draft picks.  That balances out the offense and significantly improves their defense.

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2021, 01:37:57 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Brooklyn's big 3 played 8 games together.  Let's see what a full season looks like.

In the 20 games directly after Murray went out Porter significantly increased his scoring up to 24.6 ppg on 16.8 shots.  In the 28 games before Murray went out (when Porter was starting) he averaged only 17.1 ppg on just 12.2 shots.  So that is the question, especially when Murray isn't going to start the year.  So when Murray comes back, which guy is taking the back seat, Porter or Murray and how does that actually affect them?  I think that is a real concern.  As there aren't going to be enough touches for all 3 of them (and Jokic is clearly getting his), especially when none of the 3 can defend worth a lick.    So they are going to have 3 ball dominant players that can't defend and that all should have shots.  I think it could be a real issue for them, which is why acquiring Simmons makes sense for them if it is something like Murray or Porter/Gordon with filler and maybe some draft picks.  That balances out the offense and significantly improves their defense.

First off, you are pretty consistent advocating for the C's to add any all-star scoring machine that might be available. Certainly Tatum, Brown and Beal are far more problematic than Jokic, Murray and Porter.

Second, if Denver is worried about Porter's long term fit, then fine, move him for other assets. There are some amazing young 3 and D wings out there and Porter would be in high demand. They don't need the drama, and they don't need his skills. 

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2021, 01:51:26 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

First off, you are pretty consistent advocating for the C's to add any all-star scoring machine that might be available. Certainly Tatum, Brown and Beal are far more problematic than Jokic, Murray and Porter.

Second, if Denver is worried about Porter's long term fit, then fine, move him for other assets. There are some amazing young 3 and D wings out there and Porter would be in high demand. They don't need the drama, and they don't need his skills.
If you can trade a bunch of role players for a star you absolutely do it, every time, and worry about the fit later.  That is why I would have made the exact same trade Brooklyn made to acquire Harden.  Or why I'd be fine acquiring Beal if the trade didn't include Tatum or Brown. But yeah the fit issues are certainly a potential problem in that scenario, but the value of the trade means you have to do it every single time and then you just hope there aren't fit issues or that Brown is fine taking more of a back seat role (which ironically enough is exactly what Harden did in their limited time together).  That is also why people have a ton of concerns about how the Lakers will work with Westbrook, but again they traded some role players, so you make that trade and worry about making it work after.

The Nuggets absolutely could have fit issues once Murray is back, and swapping Porter or Murray for Simmons could absolutely alleviate those issues given how much different Simmons' skill set is.  He can fit a lot better with Jokic and Murray or Porter than I think the 3 of them will fit.  But who knows maybe Murray is fine taking on the role of 3rd scorer and facilitator.  Of course I'm not sure that puts him at his best either.   

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2021, 01:54:12 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Porter/Gordon for Simmons would be interesting for the NBA and a big win for both teams. Simmons’ defense and passing makes him the perfect no. 3 in a Big 3 of Jokic/Murray/Simmons.

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2021, 02:47:14 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Am I the only one who thinks Porter Jr. is better than Murray (assuming they both stay relatively healthy going forward)? Two reasons for that:

1. I'm low on Murray's BBIQ. Being a mediocre passer when running the point is a massive red flag in my book. It ain't a problem in Denver cause he's playing next to Jokic. If he were the primary shot creator, I bet this would have been a serious issue. I'm not even sure whether he'd be considered a PG tbh. Porter Jr is even worse at passing, but he's a swing. Nobody will ever expect from him to run the offense.
2. They are both very crafty scorers, but Porter Jr. is 7 inches taller than Murray. Size matters, especially when we talk about go-to scorers.

Porter would be in high demand. (...) they don't need his skills.
Why on earth don't they need Porter's skills? Jokic and Porter Jr. are polar opposites on the offensive side of the ball. Jokic is a pass-first player. He's at his best when used as a facilitator.  Porter Jr. is a score-first swing with tunnel vision. He's at his best when operating as a scoring machine. They fit next to each other like a glove.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 02:58:22 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2021, 02:56:48 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Am I the only one who thinks Porter Jr. is better than Murray (assuming they both stay relatively healthy going forward)? Two reasons for that:

1. I'm low on Murray's BBIQ. Being a mediocre passer when running the point is a massive red flag in my book. It ain't a problem in Denver cause he's playing next to Jokic. If he were the primary shot creator, I bet this would have been a serious issue. I'm not even sure whether he'd be considered a PG tbh. Porter Jr is even worse at passing, but he's a swing. Nobody will ever expect from him to run the offense.
2. They are both very crafty scorers, but Porter Jr. is 7 inches taller than Murray. Size matters, especially when we talk about go-to scorers. As simple as that.

Why on earth don't they need Porter's skills? Jokic and Porter Jr. are polar opposites on the offensive side of the ball. Jokic is a pass-first player. He's at his best when used as a facilitator.  Porter Jr. is a score-first swing with tunnel vision. He's at his best when operating as a scoring machine. They fit next to each other like a glove.
He was talking about Simmons.  I think you cut out the context.

And no you aren't alone, Porter is a potential monster.  I really wanted Boston to figure out a way to draft him.  His back injury was a real concern, but if he was healthy he would have been the top pick in that draft.  You can't just disregard talent like that.

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2021, 02:59:54 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

2. They are both very crafty scorers, but Porter Jr. is 7 inches taller than Murray. Size matters, especially when we talk about go-to scorers. As simple as that.

He was talking about Simmons.  I think you cut out the context.
Oh, my bad then.

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2021, 08:12:23 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
If I was Denver, I would not have any concern about a big 3 of Jokic, Murray, and Porter.  You always hear the concern about only having one ball and all that but that 3 is a good mix of size, ball handling, scoring, the right age, everything you want.  If I was Denver, I would not see any need to bring in Simmons for either Murray or Porter.  Why take that risk.  Get Murray back on the court and see what you have.

And if Simmons and Embiid is a bad fit, why would Simmons and Jokic be a good fit?  I don't think it would be.  I don't see Denver going anywhere near Simmons.

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2021, 10:16:01 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
If I was Denver, I would not have any concern about a big 3 of Jokic, Murray, and Porter.  You always hear the concern about only having one ball and all that but that 3 is a good mix of size, ball handling, scoring, the right age, everything you want.  If I was Denver, I would not see any need to bring in Simmons for either Murray or Porter.  Why take that risk.  Get Murray back on the court and see what you have.

And if Simmons and Embiid is a bad fit, why would Simmons and Jokic be a good fit?  I don't think it would be.  I don't see Denver going anywhere near Simmons.
Denver is all terrible defenders though.  Sure you can outscore people, but when you need a stop what are you going to do.  That is why I'd look at it if I was Denver.  That is why Golden State worked so well when they had Curry, Durant, and Thompson.  Because 2 of the 3 could defend, and really only Curry is a ball dominant type player (and he is such a good shooter he even works off the ball).  Plus Durant and Curry were top 5 players in the sport (that also helps).  The latter is why Brooklyn might actually work i.e. Durant and Harden are top 5 players (well harden is arguably top 5 at least).  Guys that are established, have made their money, etc. are more apt to let ego not enter the equation.  Denver's trio is pretty young, are bad defenders, and outside of Jokic aren't MVP level players.  I'm not saying they should do it, but Denver should absolutely consider it, especially if it is Murray and draft picks for Simmons.  That would make them so big and versatile and Simmons would be huge for them defensively.

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2021, 11:20:30 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
I think that is the problem.  Philly wants a top tier player that they can plug in and help them win.  A healthy Murray for example or McCollum or someone like that.  The problem is that no currently contending team wants to give up a player like that for Simmons.

A team like GSW, the original rumor, would be giving up young or depth players, not part of the core.  This makes sense for GSW but not so much for Philly.  Wiseman for example is a great prospect, a great value, but how does he help Philly now?  3-ways make more sense.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 11:37:50 AM by Vermont Green »