Author Topic: If Danny dropped Carsen Edwards a year earlier do we keep Bane?  (Read 4937 times)

Re: If Danny dropped Carsen Edwards a year earlier do we keep Bane?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2021, 02:46:13 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I've never seen someone so obsessed with a role player, than some people on this site. I'd understand talking about just missing a guy like Giannis, but c'mon lol.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2021, 04:36:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Don't worry I'll be just like you about the Horford trade. C's missed out on Murphy and Sengun.

Except sacrificing the pick this year was a very necessary move as it allowed Boston to unload  Kemba and his albatross of a contract while  upgrading  the roster at the same time.

Trading the pick, which turned out to be  Bane while Keeping 4 of 5 G-leaguers on the roster was just a stupid move. Since Brad has taken over, almost all of those guys are gone.

I guess we'll see how things work out, but we are currently well into the tax as it is, so this year doesn't really matter. Also, you need to add Schroder's contract to Horford's since we would need a PG anyway.

As for next year, it really depends if we waive Horford. If we do, then we get a much bigger tax savings.  OKC just saved $20M by waiving Kemba, though. Hopefully Horford proves to be more valuable than Kemba. I believe that is possible - mostly because the Schroder signing offsets much of the loss of Kemba - but I'm not going to pretend that Kemba wasn't an All-Star/All-Star caliber player who took a lot of the pressure off of the Jays.

Sengun (or the two future 1sts) is a tough pill to swallow for somewhat of a sideways move - both on the court and financially.

Feel like if this was true, he’d still be in Boston. Instead he was traded, Immediately waived and then signed with the Knicks for a fraction of what he was making. His contract has him earning $8M this season and $9m next. Think that says enough.

Yes, but that doesn't account for the money he's making from being bought out by the Thunder. 

He's making a nice chunk of change this year all combined.

The buyout money is irrelevant. His market value as a player is 8-$9M a year. He’s clearly not an all star caliber player anymore.
I don't think that is necessarily true.  If every team had cap room, I think he gets a fair amount more than that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2021, 06:12:26 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Don't worry I'll be just like you about the Horford trade. C's missed out on Murphy and Sengun.

Except sacrificing the pick this year was a very necessary move as it allowed Boston to unload  Kemba and his albatross of a contract while  upgrading  the roster at the same time.

Trading the pick, which turned out to be  Bane while Keeping 4 of 5 G-leaguers on the roster was just a stupid move. Since Brad has taken over, almost all of those guys are gone.

I guess we'll see how things work out, but we are currently well into the tax as it is, so this year doesn't really matter. Also, you need to add Schroder's contract to Horford's since we would need a PG anyway.

As for next year, it really depends if we waive Horford. If we do, then we get a much bigger tax savings.  OKC just saved $20M by waiving Kemba, though. Hopefully Horford proves to be more valuable than Kemba. I believe that is possible - mostly because the Schroder signing offsets much of the loss of Kemba - but I'm not going to pretend that Kemba wasn't an All-Star/All-Star caliber player who took a lot of the pressure off of the Jays.

Sengun (or the two future 1sts) is a tough pill to swallow for somewhat of a sideways move - both on the court and financially.

Feel like if this was true, he’d still be in Boston. Instead he was traded, Immediately waived and then signed with the Knicks for a fraction of what he was making. His contract has him earning $8M this season and $9m next. Think that says enough.

Yes, but that doesn't account for the money he's making from being bought out by the Thunder. 

The buyout money is irrelevant. His market value as a player is 8-$9M a year. He’s clearly not an all star caliber player anymore.
I don't think that is necessarily true.  If every team had cap room, I think he gets a fair amount more than that.

The Knicks had the Cap room to pay him more, yet he signed a 2 year deal for less than $20M. He’s a role player at this stage.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2021, 09:46:22 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

The Knicks had the Cap room to pay him more, yet he signed a 2 year deal for less than $20M. He’s a role player at this stage.
The Knicks are over the cap.  As such, they don't have their roster if they gave Walker more money.

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2021, 11:09:40 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
What is this thread about now?

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2021, 11:27:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Something far more interesting than your 50th Bane thread. 

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2021, 11:17:12 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Something far more interesting than your 50th Bane thread.

BANE!!!!!

It's only my second....

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2021, 11:32:34 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

The Knicks are over the cap.  As such, they don't have their roster if they gave Walker more money.

They’re over the cap because they extended Rose with Bird rights, but his cap hold was far less than he signed for.  They could have the same roster they do today and paid Kemba about $73 million more this year.

EDIT: Rose's last year salary was misreported the first site I looked at, so I miscalculated his cap hold.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 11:45:09 AM by Celtics2021 »

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2021, 11:52:29 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
I've never seen someone so obsessed with a role player, than some people on this site. I'd understand talking about just missing a guy like Giannis, but c'mon lol.

Well, this is the site where, every preseason, some no-name player who's nothing more than a training-camp body is touted as deserving to make the team and play regular rotation minutes.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2021, 12:29:37 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

They’re over the cap because they extended Rose with Bird rights, but his cap hold was far less than he signed for.  They could have the same roster they do today and paid Kemba about $73 million more this year.

EDIT: Rose's last year salary was misreported the first site I looked at, so I miscalculated his cap hold.

Asking genuinely, as I truly don't know, would the Knicks have been bidding against themselves if they went up another $3MM?

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2021, 12:37:29 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

Asking genuinely, as I truly don't know, would the Knicks have been bidding against themselves if they went up another $3MM?

That’s kind of GoldStar’s point — the Knicks could have paid Kemba more, but didn’t, because no one else was going to, meaning his value is far less than someone else was arguing.

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2021, 12:49:43 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

That’s kind of GoldStar’s point — the Knicks could have paid Kemba more, but didn’t, because no one else was going to, meaning his value is far less than someone else was arguing.

Because no one else "was going to" or because no one else could, under their salary cap restraints?

I think that's the key question I have.  Maybe other teams, who needed a point guard, could have outbid the Knicks?

If not, then the Knicks would only have been bidding against themselves if other teams in need could have only offered up to $7MM.

This is all moot if a point-guard hungry team had more $$ available and didn't offer.

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2021, 01:03:49 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Well, this is the site where, every preseason, some no-name player who's nothing more than a training-camp body is touted as deserving to make the team and play regular rotation minutes.

Having guys at the end of the bench that can play is always a good thing. You hope you won't need those guys but if you do it's better if they can play. We have a very deep team this year for the frist time in a while.