Author Topic: Simmons Wants Trade / Not Going To Report To Camp (CBS Report)  (Read 67314 times)

Re: Simmons Wants Trade / Not Going To Report To Camp (CBS Report)
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2021, 08:38:50 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I hope Philly does nothing and deduct his paycheck.

This would really be cool if they did this, but the way things are set up this doesn't really benefit Philly to do. They are going to tank the season, which is probably one of Embid's final prime 3 or 4 seasons, to make a point to klutch? I just don't see that happening.

Thing is that Simmons is under contract for 4 years, I don't think they should be in a hurry to trade him. But his trade value could decline if he's missing action. But yeah, I hope some of these malcontent players get screwed one way or another.

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2021, 08:43:34 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
I hope Philly does nothing and deduct his paycheck.

This would really be cool if they did this, but the way things are set up this doesn't really benefit Philly to do. They are going to tank the season, which is probably one of Embid's final prime 3 or 4 seasons, to make a point to klutch? I just don't see that happening.

Thing is that Simmons is under contract for 4 years, I don't think they should be in a hurry to trade him. But his trade value could decline if he's missing action. But yeah, I hope some of these malcontent players get screwed one way or another.

I like no parties involved in this, so I hope they all get what’s coming to them.  Simmons is quitting on his team, but his co-star and coach completely threw him under the bus, so it was going to be an impossible situation for him to return.  Management wanted to get more than he’s worth, because everyone in the league saw this trainwreck coming and wasn’t going to help Philly out by overpaying.

« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2021, 08:54:31 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I I have a feeling Morey and the Sixers will call Ben's bluff. They're not going to sell low no matter what Rich Paul wants. They will sell for the return they want, even if they have to wait and fine him $1m a day.

That said, Morey will probably have to adjust his return, he's not getting a Dame type player back.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2021, 08:54:40 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Simmons needs a team where he's on the floor with other scorers to relieve him of pressure. Other teammates that desire to score the ball. He can't be a "second banana" type of player, he just doesn't have that type of scoring ability.

Honestly, before the Celtic married Smart, and traded for Schroder. I was half picturing him here. He's an incredible defender, can cover
1 thru 5, is an excellent passer, he scores at the rim well too...and at just 25 YO, I can't see why he couldn't improve enough at the line to not be a "hack target." You have to wonder if he actually works at it off season?

The problem for me was... at what cost? Philly has him over-valued IMO. 

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2021, 09:14:32 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Shams Charania@ShamsCharania 12m

The Cleveland Cavaliers have agreed to a one-year, non-guaranteed deal with 7-foot-5 center Tacko Fall, agents Bill Duffy and Justin Haynes of @BDA_Sports told @TheAthletic @Stadium. Fall played his first two NBA seasons in Boston.

Somehow dropped it into the wrong thread with my cat walking all over the keyboard.

« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2021, 09:31:11 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I I have a feeling Morey and the Sixers will call Ben's bluff. They're not going to sell low no matter what Rich Paul wants. They will sell for the return they want, even if they have to wait and fine him $1m a day.

That said, Morey will probably have to adjust his return, he's not getting a Dame type player back.

Too late, they should've traded him last year.

« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2021, 09:50:40 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
This is what happens when the coach and executives name name and call out players specifically.  They "shockingly" don't want to play for you any more.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2021, 10:36:13 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
This is what happens when the coach and executives name name and call out players specifically.  They "shockingly" don't want to play for you any more.
So you keep the ones who can accept responsibility, and lose the ones that can't.

Is that so bad?

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2021, 10:57:26 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
So you keep the ones who can accept responsibility, and lose the ones that can't.

Is that so bad?

The Sixers problem was not actually trading the one who couldn’t because they demanded equal talent and better work ethic, as opposed to accepting that they’d have to take a loss on talent.  And now they’re in a bigger bind than they were two months ago.

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2021, 11:04:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Simmons value is dropping faster than the Dow did in early 2020.

« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2021, 11:21:43 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Is that so bad?
It isn't about accepting responsibility, it is about being singled out by management.  The appropriate response is something along the lines of, we all need to get better.  We didn't play well as a team.  etc.  You don't single players out or exactly what happened will always happen and it will trickle down to the other players (and not just those with Rich Paul as an agent).  Your reputation matters.  The Sixers now have a reputation of an organization that will throw its star players under the bus.  Not a good place to be.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2021, 12:09:32 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
The final nail in the coffin for the Process, which is nothing but good news for the league. If the Sixers had tanked their way to being a perennial contender, parity and the overall quality of play in the NBA would have suffered for years.

Between this and flattening the lottery odds, this is the death knell of tanking IMO.

Now if we can just force teams in Miami and LA to pay 50% more to sign free agents than everyone else, we might actually have a level playing field.

« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2021, 12:35:13 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
I feel for Maxey though. What if he really likes to continue with his projects in Philly? Will he just do what Rich Paul wants?

If you were Denver, would you offer MPJ + others for Simmons?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 12:59:03 AM by radiohead »

« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2021, 01:19:46 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Is that so bad?
It isn't about accepting responsibility, it is about being singled out by management.  The appropriate response is something along the lines of, we all need to get better.  We didn't play well as a team.  etc.  You don't single players out or exactly what happened will always happen and it will trickle down to the other players (and not just those with Rich Paul as an agent).  Your reputation matters.  The Sixers now have a reputation of an organization that will throw its star players under the bus.  Not a good place to be.

I am curious what we are referencing here. Are we referencing doc saying he wasn’t sure he could win a championship with ven as a starting point guard? Cause that is really pretty light criticism. I think objectively ben is not a pg and is more of a small ball 5 or point forward like Lebron. Is this really insulting to say he may not be the ideal point guard? Or are we referencing embid saying he thought the turning point of a game was when they had a dunk and ended up with one free throw? Neither of these is super harsh and this is after 4 years of this. I think if anything Philly and Philly management handled simmons with kid gloves more than a lot of organizations would.

Also ironically I was making these criticisms about ben for the last three years in the Philly thread. I will say my takes have aged very well and some others have not.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 01:25:50 AM by celticsclay »

« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2021, 01:30:31 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I feel for Maxey though. What if he really likes to continue with his projects in Philly? Will he just do what Rich Paul wants?

If you were Denver, would you offer MPJ + others for Simmons?
Salary-wise I think Barton and Gordon would have to accompany MPJ, which could be an overpay.

What about Murray for Simmons straight up? Risky for both teams, but could be cool
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)