Author Topic: Would you trade Jaylen for Lavine?  (Read 5966 times)

Re: Would you trade Jaylen for Lavine?
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2021, 12:44:16 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Does Lavine do anything better than Jaylen?

He was unquestionably a more efficient scorer last year on similar volume.  Some might argue he’s a better passer because he gets more assist — I’d say he has the ball in his hand more, and I’m curious how that holds up with Ball on the team.

LaVine's AST% is 23.4 to Jaylen's 16.5, and his usage is only marginally higher - 31.0% to 29.7%.  He's a better passer.

Usage isn’t the only way to measure possession.  Lavine possessed the ball for 5.4 minutes per game.  Brown possessed it for 2.7 minutes per game.  That’s double the time.  Lavine’s average possession lasted 4.8 seconds compared to 2.8 seconds for Jaylen.  That’s what I was talking about.

It is amazing what there are stats for these days but this does represent my impression.  Lavine is an all star caliber guard.  Brown is an all star caliber guard.  I don't see the point in trading these two.  I like Brown a lot but I am a Celtics fan.  I don't see Lavine nearly as much.  He has really come on the last few years.

I suspect that Lavine would have slightly more value around the league.  For example, PHI, if given the choice, would probably take Lavine over Brown in a trade for Simmons.  But only slightly.

I see it slightly differently. Jaylen is a two-way wing all-star; Lavine is a scoring guard all-star. Around the league, two-way wings are all the rage. Perhaps in your specific example where PHI might want a guy who can play occasionally slot at PG, they would choose Lavine, but I would imagine Jaylen has more value leaguewide. Not only is he so versatile defensively, but he is a comparable scorer while needing much less on-ball time to be effective.

« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2021, 04:35:31 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I would trade Brown for Lavine as it seems counterproductive. That being said, if adding a “3rd star” is the Cs gameplan for next year, I sort of wonder if maybe going after Lavine makes more sense than Beal. Lavine has played point before in his career and is pretty efficient. Seems like he would fit better with JB and JT. Can play next to Smart and that keeps the Js at the wings.

« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2021, 08:09:01 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I know it gets said a lot, heck it was said in this thread already, but apparently some don't read most of the trade Jaylen threads:

The goal should be to get a superstar to add to Jaylen and Jayson, not to replace one of them. That's what will make this team a true title contender.

There are exceptions. KD, Luka, Lebron, Steph, Giannis, Jokic are pretty much those exceptions.
(BTW those playing in the CelticsStrong draft with me, there you go on my top 6)
Sure that should be the goal, but if you can slightly upgrade with a still pretty young guy, even just a small amount, that does get you closer, and you would still have the assets to add a 3rd star to Tatum and whoever you traded Brown for.  I think Beal is too old to make that trade, but I'd absolutely consider LaVine as he may be better than Brown.

But what if he's not? Then you just traded your home-grown talent for the possibility of a slight upgrade. Do you think that helps your perception around the league? Do you think that makes you the type of team that players want to play for?

It's a big gamble with minimal upside.
well that is why I said I'd consider it.  I'm not sure who is better.  I think they are in the same general range.  I do think though that LaVine might be a better fit here given the strengths and weaknesses of the other players on the team, but Brown might be a better fit as a 3rd star (if the team can add one).  That is why Stevens gets paid the big bucks, to make those decisions. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2021, 09:08:54 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I know it gets said a lot, heck it was said in this thread already, but apparently some don't read most of the trade Jaylen threads:

The goal should be to get a superstar to add to Jaylen and Jayson, not to replace one of them. That's what will make this team a true title contender.

There are exceptions. KD, Luka, Lebron, Steph, Giannis, Jokic are pretty much those exceptions.
(BTW those playing in the CelticsStrong draft with me, there you go on my top 6)
Sure that should be the goal, but if you can slightly upgrade with a still pretty young guy, even just a small amount, that does get you closer, and you would still have the assets to add a 3rd star to Tatum and whoever you traded Brown for.  I think Beal is too old to make that trade, but I'd absolutely consider LaVine as he may be better than Brown.

But what if he's not? Then you just traded your home-grown talent for the possibility of a slight upgrade. Do you think that helps your perception around the league? Do you think that makes you the type of team that players want to play for?

It's a big gamble with minimal upside.
well that is why I said I'd consider it.  I'm not sure who is better.  I think they are in the same general range.  I do think though that LaVine might be a better fit here given the strengths and weaknesses of the other players on the team, but Brown might be a better fit as a 3rd star (if the team can add one).  That is why Stevens gets paid the big bucks, to make those decisions.
Well then perhaps we shut down CelticsStrong entirely.   ;D  We are here mainly to be armchair GMs.

« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2021, 10:26:04 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
Jaylen Brown is, and will be, a better player than Lavine.

No gracias.

« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2021, 11:44:41 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Absolutely I would. Without question.

Nah, I'm kidding. It's just that seeing a CS thread where everyone agreed is throwing off my sense of equilibrium.

Mike