Author Topic: Would you trade Jaylen for Lavine?  (Read 5960 times)

Re: Would you trade Jaylen for Lavine?
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2021, 04:15:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I know it gets said a lot, heck it was said in this thread already, but apparently some don't read most of the trade Jaylen threads:

The goal should be to get a superstar to add to Jaylen and Jayson, not to replace one of them. That's what will make this team a true title contender.

There are exceptions. KD, Luka, Lebron, Steph, Giannis, Jokic are pretty much those exceptions.
(BTW those playing in the CelticsStrong draft with me, there you go on my top 6)

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2021, 04:18:42 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
What would be the point of a trade like this? Swapping comparable players doesn't improve either team.

Just curious how their trajectory was viewed amongst fans.

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2021, 04:20:27 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I know it gets said a lot, heck it was said in this thread already, but apparently some don't read most of the trade Jaylen threads:

The goal should be to get a superstar to add to Jaylen and Jayson, not to replace one of them. That's what will make this team a true title contender.

There are exceptions. KD, Luka, Lebron, Steph, Giannis, Jokic are pretty much those exceptions.
(BTW those playing in the CelticsStrong draft with me, there you go on my top 6)

I know it gets said a lot but just because a Jaylen trade thread is created doesn’t necessarily mean people wouldn’t prefer adding instead of trading. It’s just hoop talk.

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2021, 04:24:10 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I've been a Lavine fan since his UCLA days. I've often said he's just as good as Devin Booker.

But I also seriously think Celtic fans underestimate just how valuable an all-star, two-way player like Jaylen Brown is.

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2021, 05:19:01 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would not because Brown is more proven in playoffs and is a two way player.  I still think he has room to grow.   Lavine puts up great numbers on a bad team.  Both are monster athletes, and Lavine maybe the better athlete but is he the better player?

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2021, 05:25:51 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

100% agree. The goal should be to make the team better not swap one all-star for another.

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2021, 05:28:06 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
What would be the point of a trade like this? Swapping comparable players doesn't improve either team.

Just curious how their trajectory was viewed amongst fans.

Fair enough. Brown is a couple of years younger and I like him better as a player but they are comparable players.

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2021, 05:32:32 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Zero percent chance.

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2021, 05:34:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
No thank you.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2021, 07:14:51 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
  There aren’t a lot of guys I’d move Jaylen for but I thought of Lavine. It’s close for me. I go back and forth. ( this is a hypothetical where Lavine is under a new long contract in a year, sorry. )
  I’m just curious where fans here rate Lavine snd his trajectory. As well as Jaylen’s. Thanks!

Not a chance.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2021, 07:54:15 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Jaylen's offense in his first 5 years was slightly better than Lavine's first 5 years.
Jaylen's defense in his first 5 years was much better than Lavine's first 5 years.
Jaylen is under contract for 3 more years. Lavine is under contract for for 1 more year.
Jaylen is 1.6+ years younger.
I have a high opinion of Brown's personal attributes and work ethic. I don't know Lavine's.

I would say no to this trade.

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2021, 09:49:59 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Jaylen is a freak with high intelligence. The sky is the limit.

Uf he figures things out he will unstoppable at both ends. LaVine has limitations despite hus high efficiency. These limitations will become more apparent in the playoffs.

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2021, 10:16:17 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
If LaVine is properly spelled T-o-w-n-s then definitely kick the tyres.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2021, 11:07:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Sure that should be the goal, but if you can slightly upgrade with a still pretty young guy, even just a small amount, that does get you closer, and you would still have the assets to add a 3rd star to Tatum and whoever you traded Brown for.  I think Beal is too old to make that trade, but I'd absolutely consider LaVine as he may be better than Brown. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2021, 11:15:32 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Sure that should be the goal, but if you can slightly upgrade with a still pretty young guy, even just a small amount, that does get you closer, and you would still have the assets to add a 3rd star to Tatum and whoever you traded Brown for.  I think Beal is too old to make that trade, but I'd absolutely consider LaVine as he may be better than Brown.

But what if he's not? Then you just traded your home-grown talent for the possibility of a slight upgrade. Do you think that helps your perception around the league? Do you think that makes you the type of team that players want to play for?

It's a big gamble with minimal upside.