Author Topic: Would you trade Jaylen for Lavine?  (Read 5971 times)

Re: Would you trade Jaylen for Lavine?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2021, 12:20:46 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Does Lavine do anything better than Jaylen?

Right now he’s a better scorer, shooter and passer.  He’s also more ball-dominant and an inferior defender.

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=lavinza01&p1yrfrom=2021&player_id2=brownja02&p2yrfrom=2021

Wow, didn’t realize how good of a season Zack had last year. With that said, I still would prefer Jaylen and I feel like he would put up similar numbers as a number one option. JB was averaging 27ppg as a #2 option before Kemba came back...
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2021, 12:26:12 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Right now he’s a better scorer, shooter and passer.  He’s also more ball-dominant and an inferior defender.

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=lavinza01&p1yrfrom=2021&player_id2=brownja02&p2yrfrom=2021

Wow, didn’t realize how good of a season Zack had last year. With that said, I still would prefer Jaylen and I feel like he would put up similar numbers as a number one option. JB was averaging 27ppg as a #2 option before Kemba came back...

He was honestly spectacular last year... out of the norm for him, not sure if he can repeat that feat. He has a better supporting cast now, we'll see.

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2021, 12:27:28 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Nope.

I like Zach LaVine. He has been steadily improving for years now and often doesn't get credit for his growth but I do not think he is as good as Jaylen. I like Jaylen's defensive ability and particularly his defensive versatility (1-4) over LaVine's superior firepower on offense.

I have both in my top 25 players in the league. Jaylen a few slots above LaVine. What I want to see next from LaVine is (1) improved feel for the game offensively. Too stuck on 3s or layups. Needs to play more within in the flow of the game. Be easier for his teammates to function alongside him. His game / decision making is too mechanical for someone so skilled. I feel his individual numbers / efficiency over-state his team impact (2) get his defense up to an average or better level. He clearly has the athleticism. This is more about desire.

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2021, 12:32:15 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

He was unquestionably a more efficient scorer last year on similar volume.  Some might argue he’s a better passer because he gets more assist — I’d say he has the ball in his hand more, and I’m curious how that holds up with Ball on the team.
I don't watch Lavine a lot but if he's not a better passer than Jaylen then he's got to be downright horrible.  For everything Jaylen is, a passer isn't one of them.

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2021, 12:39:25 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

He was unquestionably a more efficient scorer last year on similar volume.  Some might argue he’s a better passer because he gets more assist — I’d say he has the ball in his hand more, and I’m curious how that holds up with Ball on the team.

LaVine's AST% is 23.4 to Jaylen's 16.5, and his usage is only marginally higher - 31.0% to 29.7%.  He's a better passer.

Usage isn’t the only way to measure possession.  Lavine possessed the ball for 5.4 minutes per game.  Brown possessed it for 2.7 minutes per game.  That’s double the time.  Lavine’s average possession lasted 4.8 seconds compared to 2.8 seconds for Jaylen.  That’s what I was talking about.

It is amazing what there are stats for these days but this does represent my impression.  Lavine is an all star caliber guard.  Brown is an all star caliber guard.  I don't see the point in trading these two.  I like Brown a lot but I am a Celtics fan.  I don't see Lavine nearly as much.  He has really come on the last few years.

I suspect that Lavine would have slightly more value around the league.  For example, PHI, if given the choice, would probably take Lavine over Brown in a trade for Simmons.  But only slightly.

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2021, 12:41:16 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
IMO, Jaylen is the better player already. Lavine's one real advantage over him is his passing, but otherwise, JB is his equal or superior in every other facet of the game.

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2021, 12:51:56 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
No.

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2021, 01:12:23 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2021, 01:20:36 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
LaVine is a truly elite scorer.  1.41 points per shot is elite (Curry last year was 1.47 and Jaylen was 1.29 as a comparison), especially as a team's #1 option.  Offense is more important than defense so that weighs heavily to thinking LaVine is the better player, but he is just so bad defensively, that Brown might make up for it.  On this team, I think LaVine is the better fit because there are plenty of quality guard and wing defenders, such that LaVine's elite scoring would probably have more of an impact.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2021, 01:33:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Absolutely not
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2021, 01:40:43 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
No but they are very close in value to me. I was hoping LaVine could be a plan B if team struck out on Beal.

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2021, 02:04:05 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
It's definitely a lot closer than some people here want to admit. It's pretty much unarguable that LaVine is a better offensive player at this point, while Brown is a better defender. It's a toss up imo.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2021, 02:08:24 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
No but they are very close in value to me. I was hoping LaVine could be a plan B if team struck out on Beal.

Lavine should be plan A as far as Beal is concerned honestly.

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2021, 02:40:22 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Regarding Lavine's defense, it seems he really stepped it up in the olympics when he didn't have to carry the load offensively.  And we know that JB's defense took a hit, potentially because he had to carry more of the load.

So even the difference on D may not be as big as people think.  Lavine carries the load for the bulls.

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2021, 03:25:07 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
What would be the point of a trade like this? Swapping comparable players doesn't improve either team.