Author Topic: Would you trade Jaylen for Lavine?  (Read 5891 times)

Would you trade Jaylen for Lavine?
« on: August 26, 2021, 10:52:44 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  There aren’t a lot of guys I’d move Jaylen for but I thought of Lavine. It’s close for me. I go back and forth. ( this is a hypothetical where Lavine is under a new long contract in a year, sorry. )
  I’m just curious where fans here rate Lavine snd his trajectory. As well as Jaylen’s. Thanks!

Re: Would you trade Jaylen for Lavine?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 10:59:57 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Nope.

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 11:00:26 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
No.  Not even tempted.

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 11:03:13 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don’t think I would.  Jaylen is younger, will be less expensive, and he’s got serious defensive potential that Lavine doesn’t have.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 11:06:27 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
No way.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2021, 11:14:46 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
Oh goodness, no.

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2021, 11:18:13 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Nope. Don't even have to think about it. Now, if the opportunity arose to turn, like, Richardson's contract plus some youth and picks into Lavine and pair him with Brown and Tatum? I'm absolutely listening there.

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2021, 11:37:48 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Does Lavine do anything better than Jaylen?
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2021, 11:45:00 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Right now he’s a better scorer, shooter and passer.  He’s also more ball-dominant and an inferior defender.

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=lavinza01&p1yrfrom=2021&player_id2=brownja02&p2yrfrom=2021

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2021, 11:45:02 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

He was unquestionably a more efficient scorer last year on similar volume.  Some might argue he’s a better passer because he gets more assist — I’d say he has the ball in his hand more, and I’m curious how that holds up with Ball on the team.

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2021, 11:53:03 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649

Well... yeah.  People sleep on how good LaVine was this past season.  He averaged 27/5/5 on 50/41/84 shooting as the Bulls' #1 option.  He's more efficient from every part of the court, he's a better passer, he gets to the line more, and he was doing all of this as the Bulls' only viable offensive threat until they added Vucevic at the trade deadline. Dude is really good.

Would I trade Jaylen for him?  I don't think so.  I'm admittedly biased because I really like Jaylen and I want to see him succeed in Boston, not Chicago.  I do think LaVine is the better player right now.  But Jaylen is the better defender, even in a down defensive year for him, so the difference isn't as large as the offensive numbers make it seem.  And I've been impressed by Jaylen's ability to come back better every single year.  So I'll ride with our guy. 

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2021, 11:55:44 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649

He was unquestionably a more efficient scorer last year on similar volume.  Some might argue he’s a better passer because he gets more assist — I’d say he has the ball in his hand more, and I’m curious how that holds up with Ball on the team.

LaVine's AST% is 23.4 to Jaylen's 16.5, and his usage is only marginally higher - 31.0% to 29.7%.  He's a better passer. 

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2021, 12:08:28 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
The problem with Lavine is that once you get into the playoffs, and particularly once you get a round or two in, he can be bumhunted the same way Fournier could be. If you still have Tatum and Brown you can work around a bad matchup for Lavine by reducing his minutes/deploying him more against bench-heavier lineups, but that gets a lot harder if you gave up Jaylen to get him.

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2021, 12:19:37 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Not giving up Jaylen for him, but the question is if we go after him instead of Beal... I prefer Lavine.

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2021, 12:19:51 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

LaVine's AST% is 23.4 to Jaylen's 16.5, and his usage is only marginally higher - 31.0% to 29.7%.  He's a better passer.

Usage isn’t the only way to measure possession.  Lavine possessed the ball for 5.4 minutes per game.  Brown possessed it for 2.7 minutes per game.  That’s double the time.  Lavine’s average possession lasted 4.8 seconds compared to 2.8 seconds for Jaylen.  That’s what I was talking about.