Author Topic: I still have Romeo over Nesmith  (Read 29806 times)

Re: I still have Romeo over Nesmith
« Reply #195 on: November 30, 2021, 02:45:27 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Nick is right:  we need to wait for JB to get back, but once he is Nesmith should be force-fed minutes in Maine.
It's not a bad idea. It's crazy how bad his shot has been this season.

I wouldn't say crazy; like Pritchard, he's been getting reduced minutes from last season, and more importantly from a player's point of view, they've been inconsistent. Compare to Romeo, who's gotten rotation minutes.
which Romeo has earned by playing very good defense and hitting his open shots as well as showing the ability to drive and either finish in the lane (although this could improve) or pass to someone who's open. 

Well, I’d agree that Romeo has earned his minutes. What a welcome surprise, one that bodes well for the stretch run and the playoffs!

I’d also agree that his finishing could be better - okay, tell the truth: it’s been plain awful. Let’s not sugarcoat it.

My point is that getting spot minutes doesn’t lend itself to good shooting %s. It’s not that Nesmith and Pritchard are suddenly poor 3-pt shooters. It’s a rare player who can shoot good %s from 3 on inconsistent spot minutes; rarer still is the second-year player who can do it. Let’s not lose perspective here. Both of them have futures as NBA rotation players, and Nesmith has star upside.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #196 on: November 30, 2021, 02:55:51 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Nick is right:  we need to wait for JB to get back, but once he is Nesmith should be force-fed minutes in Maine.

I wouldn't say crazy; like Pritchard, he's been getting reduced minutes from last season, and more importantly from a player's point of view, they've been inconsistent. Compare to Romeo, who's gotten rotation minutes.
which Romeo has earned by playing very good defense and hitting his open shots as well as showing the ability to drive and either finish in the lane (although this could improve) or pass to someone who's open. 

Well, I’d agree that Romeo has earned his minutes. What a welcome surprise, one that bodes well for the stretch run and the playoffs!

I’d also agree that his finishing could be better - okay, tell the truth: it’s been plain awful. Let’s not sugarcoat it.

My point is that getting spot minutes doesn’t lend itself to good shooting %s. It’s not that Nesmith and Pritchard are suddenly poor 3-pt shooters. It’s a rare player who can shoot good %s from 3 on inconsistent spot minutes; rarer still is the second-year player who can do it. Let’s not lose perspective here. Both of them have futures as NBA rotation players, and Nesmith has star upside.

Nesmith is 5-29 in the 10 games he’s played at least 10 minutes.  He’s played at least 10 minutes in 48% of the C’s games, and averaged attempted 2.9 3s per such game.  Last year he got at least 10 minutes in 30 of 72 games (42%), and took 86 3s in those games (2.9 attempts).  Yet he shot 38% in such games last year, rather than 17%.

In other words, he’s gotten similar opportunities as last year to play, and has had a similar number of shot when playing in those opportunities.  Last year he made them, this year he isn’t.  But playing time is not the variable here.

« Reply #197 on: November 30, 2021, 05:54:04 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I was in the Romeo camp preseason, most of you were in Nesmith camp. Understandably, given how he played in summer league. 

While I continue to give Romeo the edge, I am disappointed in his lack of developing more assertiveness on the offensive end of the floor.  He typically gets 2-5 points a game.  I expected more from him going into the season.  I think his lack of offensive production is a blend of the vets not trusting him enough (or worried more about "getting theirs"), and Romeo just not getting more aggressive. I feel recent game planning has increased his opportunities for secondary playmaking, but he has yet to really take advantage of it.

I feel bad for Aaron Nesmith.  I truly believe his bad shooting numbers are principally the product of having opportunities that are too short.  He rarely gets to run more than 5-6 minutes at a time. Ime should just pick a couple of games where he lets Aaron play through his mistakes and get his shot going.  To me there is great untapped potential here, in an area of primary need: elite 3 point shooting.

« Reply #198 on: November 30, 2021, 07:28:52 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
I was in the Romeo camp preseason, most of you were in Nesmith camp. Understandably, given how he played in summer league. 

While I continue to give Romeo the edge, I am disappointed in his lack of developing more assertiveness on the offensive end of the floor.  He typically gets 2-5 points a game.  I expected more from him going into the season.  I think his lack of offensive production is a blend of the vets not trusting him enough (or worried more about "getting theirs"), and Romeo just not getting more aggressive. I feel recent game planning has increased his opportunities for secondary playmaking, but he has yet to really take advantage of it.

I feel bad for Aaron Nesmith.  I truly believe his bad shooting numbers are principally the product of having opportunities that are too short.  He rarely gets to run more than 5-6 minutes at a time. Ime should just pick a couple of games where he lets Aaron play through his mistakes and get his shot going.  To me there is great untapped potential here, in an area of primary need: elite 3 point shooting.

Romeo is taking about 5-6 shots per game.  They are all good shots.  Open 3's and 3-5 foot bunnies.  Romeo's problem right now is he has no touch around the basket. He can get to where he wants to go which is awesome to see but his lack of touch is the reason why he's not averaging 8-10pts a game.  I think Romeo will start scoring more after the new year when those bunnies start to fall. 

Nesmith's shot looks great.  He just needs to play more to get a rhythm and his shots will fall more consistently as well.

As for their trajectory.  I think both have a similar ceiling but in different roles.  Both will be able to play good D.  Romeo is more of a scorer and Nesmith more of a shooter.  You need both and I expect one to eventually be a starter and the other a 6th man.  I'd assume Nesmith because of his shooting would be better spacing for the J's and Romeo if he can become more assertive the scorer and D off the bench taking Richardson's role.

« Reply #199 on: November 30, 2021, 07:47:55 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Nesmith is 5-29 in the 10 games he’s played at least 10 minutes.  He’s played at least 10 minutes in 48% of the C’s games, and averaged attempted 2.9 3s per such game.  Last year he got at least 10 minutes in 30 of 72 games (42%), and took 86 3s in those games (2.9 attempts).  Yet he shot 38% in such games last year, rather than 17%.

In other words, he’s gotten similar opportunities as last year to play, and has had a similar number of shot when playing in those opportunities.  Last year he made them, this year he isn’t.  But playing time is not the variable here.

Did Nesmith have more minutes towards the end of last season? Maybe marginally more idk

« Reply #200 on: November 30, 2021, 09:41:15 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

TP old friend. Couldn’t agree more.

Go Cs!!!👍🏀🏀🍀🍀🍀☘️☘️☘️

Ime has to suck it up and take his lumps with both kids. Especially Nesmith.

Ime not impressed with a lot of IME decisions.

Sorry off on a tangent to this thread, but Ime Is responsible for all of the terribly poor starts that we have had this year.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 10:07:11 PM by csfansince60s »