Author Topic: Celtics waive and then resign Jabari Parker  (Read 9454 times)

Re: Celtics waive and then resign Jabari Parker
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2021, 08:17:19 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Wrong post

« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2021, 10:41:26 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I would've liked to have seen some of Jabari's physicality for a couple of minutes last night.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2021, 10:42:39 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I would've liked to have seen some of Jabari's physicality for a couple of minutes last night.

Agreed. Think he could have defended Randle better in the post than G Will.

« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2021, 10:45:08 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

That's a question that came into my mind. Jabari isn't necessarily a better defender than Grant but Grant just didn't seem to know what to do with Randle's physicality. Parker might've.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2021, 01:57:24 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

That's a question that came into my mind. Jabari isn't necessarily a better defender than Grant but Grant just didn't seem to know what to do with Randle's physicality. Parker might've.
True, but Grant is stronger and should be able to actually do what is necessary to contain Randle, he just is inexperienced.  At one point, Randle caught him leaning the wrong way and he just blew by him.

« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2021, 02:05:26 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
Grant is neither as strong or as quick as I want him to be in my mind. He should / could / we want him to be a versatile big that can credibly guard all types of 3-5. In reality, he is not fast enough to keep quick drivers in front, he is not strong enough to contain bruising 4s, and he's not tall enough to guard a 5 with any kind of post game. So basically, he can guard 3-5 but only crappy bench player 3-5s. I don't see the value there.

« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2021, 03:05:04 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Grant is neither as strong or as quick as I want him to be in my mind. He should / could / we want him to be a versatile big that can credibly guard all types of 3-5. In reality, he is not fast enough to keep quick drivers in front, he is not strong enough to contain bruising 4s, and he's not tall enough to guard a 5 with any kind of post game. So basically, he can guard 3-5 but only crappy bench player 3-5s. I don't see the value there.

And yet two coaches in a row now value his defensive abilities, and Grant has made timely plays to win playoff games.

Maybe the board's perception of Grant is wrong, not the coaches who get paid millions of dollars to make those decisions.

« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2021, 04:14:24 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
With Parker or not, we are in position to go either way.  We can bring in players along the way with TPEs, thus adding salary, or we could probably dump some players as others have said such as Schroder (who probably won't sign with us anyway) or JHern, who is not all that important and be under the tax for the season.  I think it is brilliant that the Celtics have set themselves up with that flexibility.

To me it is strange how the NBA does it but if I understand correctly, tax is determined based on the team salary at the end of the season, not based on what you actually paid through out the season.  So we could pay Al for the first half of the season but if we trade him at the deadline and take little or nothing back (not all that likely but just giving an example), our salary for tax purposes would be whatever it is without Al counted, even though we would have already paid him say $13M.

Trading Schroder for a pick for example to a team that has a TPE and needs a PG seems like a very viable scenario, if we decide to go that route.  He will be a UFA in any case so we probably don't keep him anyway.  Rules prevent us from paying above some limit where as other teams can pay him whatever they want.
That's part of this as well.
The celts save $500K in real money (or a prorated portion)
They also push the guarantee date into Jan, They can have him for a few months then cut him again and it counts zero against the cap.

« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2021, 04:33:48 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

When has he ever defended better then average?   

I mean if you wanted to put him in when the offense went cold to give a spark, sure (though I would likely have gone with Kanter instead just to be a monster on the offensive board)