Poll

Would you do this trade?

No
18 (62.1%)
Yes (as long extension is in place)
11 (37.9%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Beal to Celtics trade (not involving Brown or picks)  (Read 4904 times)

Beal to Celtics trade (not involving Brown or picks)
« on: August 13, 2021, 12:18:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yel42zw7

Wizards seen enough from Celts SL team. And willing to trade Beal.  But it would pretty much gut out the Celtics future/youth

To Wizards: Nesmith,  Langford,  Timelord, Pritchard, Dunn, Smart
To Celtics:  Beal,  Gafford, Gill, Homesley

No picks would need to be included, giving Celtics flexibility at the trade deadline. 

Would you bite the bullet and do the trade?

Re: Beal to Celtics trade (not involving Brown or picks)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 12:27:53 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 226
Eh no thanks. There’s no reason to think Beal won’t be another Kyrie - a star who makes the team look sexy on paper, but in reality doesn’t really move the needle. I’m not opposed to trading young assets for a star, but it’d have to be a star who has a reputation of making others better and can pass and defend.

But if I’m Washington I jump all over that trade.

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 12:28:48 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
If we're giving up that much, I'd rather sign him in free-agency.

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 12:31:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
If we're giving up that much, I'd rather sign him in free-agency.

That will be tricky to satisfy the dollar amount he wants vs Celtics able to keep vets like Horford or Schroder

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 12:36:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Eh no thanks. There’s no reason to think Beal won’t be another Kyrie - a star who makes the team look sexy on paper, but in reality doesn’t really move the needle. I’m not opposed to trading young assets for a star, but it’d have to be a star who has a reputation of making others better and can pass and defend.

But if I’m Washington I jump all over that trade.

If the SL Celtics keep destroying.... 

I'm sure Wizards are keeping a close eye on this

Pritchard and Nesmith look A+ right now.  Nesmith is living up to his sharpshooting billing and has also added dribble stop/pop,  finish at the rim.   

Pritchard ability to push the pace harder as the game progresses/spray the ball around.... has had SL teams scrambling

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 12:44:02 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Voted yes if there is an extension agreement in place. Beal is All NBA caliber. We can't buy into summer league.

Edit add = Other than PP and Nesmith all those guys would be moved to sign Beal next year so you can look at deal as, "Is Nesmith and PP for extra year of Beal a good deal?"

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2021, 12:44:06 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Tempting.  We'd then be able to keep Richardson, and have Horford plus picks as an expiring contract to trade for another excellent player.  It depends on whether we could talk Schroder being underpaid another year.

(Trade Acquisition)
Tatum
Brown
Beal
Schroder

If we were guaranteed that team, I'd probably pull the trigger.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2021, 12:51:51 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Tempting.  We'd then be able to keep Richardson, and have Horford plus picks as an expiring contract to trade for another excellent player.  It depends on whether we could talk Schroder being underpaid another year.

(Trade Acquisition)
Tatum
Brown
Beal
Schroder

Horford's non guarantee deal would be an interesting chip next year to add a guy.

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2021, 12:57:33 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
What’s the point? Just wait 10 months and sign him without losing any assets. If the C’s gut their roster to add Beal, they are still losing to the Nets and Bucks.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2021, 01:00:48 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
Nice post Triboy, this is a very interesting trade idea.

It's quite impressive how Nesmith and Timelord and now legit value for acquiring an all-star caliber player in a trade. Nesmith looks legit and you know the C's have been showcasing him in summer league

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2021, 01:05:53 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I think pursuing Beal as a general principle is nuts. Locking in on the notion of having three big stars makes sense, but it typically also involves those stars having substantial complementary skills. Tatum, Brown and Beal do not, unless Beal somehow has a point guard lurking inside waiting for the chance to pop out. Many posts have explored how dismal the numbers are in order to fit him in.

I'd much rather have solid complementary players at point and power forward than one superstar and no bench. I think it would be wise to seek one of those via the draft. I expect Nesmith is going to be a really good starter, and I'm hoping Robert Williams can be too.

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2021, 01:09:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
As I've said pretty consistently if you can acquire Beal (or any other All NBA caliber player) without giving up Tatum or Brown you have to do it.  Makes no difference what it is, you do it and worry about the rest of the roster later.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2021, 01:14:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I think pursuing Beal as a general principle is nuts. Locking in on the notion of having three big stars makes sense, but it typically also involves those stars having substantial complementary skills. Tatum, Brown and Beal do not, unless Beal somehow has a point guard lurking inside waiting for the chance to pop out. Many posts have explored how dismal the numbers are in order to fit him in.

I'd much rather have solid complementary players at point and power forward than one superstar and no bench. I think it would be wise to seek one of those via the draft. I expect Nesmith is going to be a really good starter, and I'm hoping Robert Williams can be too.

not saying yes or no to this trade idea

but this would not be the case. Celts would have three legit all stars. Plus Horford, Jrich, Schroder ... who are considered above average stat producing players

So the depth would still be there (plan for 8 man playoff rotation)

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2021, 01:14:56 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

(Trade Acquisition)
Tatum
Brown
Beal
Schroder

I don't think we would want Schroder if Beal was here. Too many ball happy shot happy players. Better with lower usage role players. Guys who are happy playing supporting roles.

Schroder is a wannabe star. He doesn't take the backseat. He is gonna call his number and play hero regardless of there being 3 better players than him on the team.

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2021, 01:18:52 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
As I've said pretty consistently if you can acquire Beal (or any other All NBA caliber player) without giving up Tatum or Brown you have to do it.  Makes no difference what it is, you do it and worry about the rest of the roster later.

The way Brad is stuffing this roster....  it may very well happen.  Could be for Beal .... but also could be for Lavine, KAT calibre of players.  Whoever is disgruntled next

Celtics angle:  We don't have amazing draft picks to offer. But instead a handful of promising youth talent