Author Topic: Just throwing away another season seems foolish.  (Read 5997 times)

Re: Just throwing away another season seems foolish.
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2021, 07:59:10 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
This the Celtics phoning it in:

"Celtics' priority, according to league source, is to retain a "salary structure" that makes it possible to sign a "major" player when he comes available, most likely next summer. Good chance they don't use the $5.7 taxpayers mid-level this time around."

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2021, 08:00:38 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I'm out of market and have to pay for every game I watch and have since the'80's.  Should I continue or just take the year off?

I know I took a year off from League Pass in '14.

Though I feel like this year will be more like watching the 2013 Celtics. That also was not a fun year.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2021, 08:05:46 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
1. Ownership was simply not willing to pay luxury tax to prop up a group that just got beaten soundly in the first round

I think it's disingenuous at best to act like Boston was at full strength last year, and that the only alternative was to run back the team that was still suiting up come playoff time.

Exactly. The healthier teams always win but no one knows who that will be until the end. The Nets and Lakers and maybe Clippers were the shoe-in contenders.

Yea, I mean, not to wildly overreact to a guy another team gave away, but I felt like Richardson dropping out of the sky to defend the guys previously being guarded by Kemba and Pritchard gave the team a plausible path back to being a top defense, and if you re-sign Fournier to be a scoring sixth man and swing one more good trade - maybe expand the Thompson deal to go get Dragic from Toronto - you have a team on both ends of the floor. Now they're destined to be just another good-not-great playoff squad.

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2021, 08:06:42 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
I'm out of market and have to pay for every game I watch and have since the'80's.  Should I continue or just take the year off?

I know I took a year off from League Pass in '14.

Though I feel like this year will be more like watching the 2013 Celtics. That also was not a fun year.

Not taking any years off when Tatum and Brown are still here.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2021, 08:10:45 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

"Celtics' priority, according to league source, is to retain a "salary structure" that makes it possible to sign a "major" player when he comes available, most likely next summer. Good chance they don't use the $5.7 taxpayers mid-level this time around."

As opposed to what, exactly? Lonzo gonna deliver banner 18? Collins? Even if those guys would sign here and we went deep into the tax for it… why?

Cap flexibility enables good teams with solid pieces to vault up to the top. That’s how you win in today’s league. We can’t sign that player this free agency because he’s not out there for us and we don’t have the room. So we gotta make room and take our shot next season. That’s all we can do short of a mega trade with brown or smart or something.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2021, 08:17:15 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
This offseason has been particularly frustrating and its only been two days! I don't get why we aren't going after players on 1 year deals. I hate the idea of "punting" a year just to keep cap open for next year when there is no guarantee we sign a Bradley Beal.

I expect Brad is setting Udoka up to play the young guys as much as possible in order to hopefully showcase some talents to move them elsewhere and collect assets. Not only assets for the future but assets to attach to a salary like Horford's if we have to move it next summer. Or make them play well enough to convince Beal to do a mid season trade.

We are going to see a lot of Grant Williams, Langford, Neismith, Pritchard, and Williams this year. And some "extra" Smart as well.

It's going to be rough.

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2021, 08:19:34 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
I’m starting to get concerned about what JT and JB are feeling right now. They’ve been so close a couple of times to reach the finals only  to see everything crumble. These guys are competitors. If they see every other team trying to make moves to improve their roster, what message does this uneventful off season send them? This team is starting to feel like the Walker/Pierce teams of old. Pierce has said it many times that he thought of asking Danny to trade him, but the arrival of KG and Allen prevented that. The Celtics are playing with fire here. If they strike out getting a third star, losing both JT and JB might be inevitable.

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2021, 08:19:43 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

What other major player is available next year besides Bradley Beal?

None? RIP

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2021, 08:23:37 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587

None? RIP

Yeah this is really disheartening, and I’m usually an optimist regarding this team. We have two of the best young players in the league and here we go with another “bridge” year, waiting on the hope of a guy becoming available. It’s worked so well in past years…

You need to build around Tatum and Brown. A part of me really does wonder how much of this is to save Wyc money, disguised as a “long-term plan.” For example, there is no reason not to use the 5.7m MLE, except to save Wyc money.

Should be fun when Tatum requests a trade.

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2021, 08:24:10 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123
I'm inclined to agree -- any year in which you have multiple All-NBA type talents on your roster is a year in which you should be trying to put the best team out there that you can.

However, I think a few things are true:

1. Ownership was simply not willing to pay luxury tax to prop up a group that just got beaten soundly in the first round

2. Due to the sins / mistakes / bad luck of the past few years, it was not possible to keep open the option of making a big splash next summer and still commit money this summer to improve / fortify the current team.

3. The Celtics have decided that Plan A is to go after a max player next summer.  The only max player that really makes sense for that is Beal.  The Celtics want Beal.  I expect them to make a push to trade for him mid-season this year, but if that doesn't work, they will clear max space and try to sign him next summer.

All of which results in

4. If the Celts don't acquire Beal by next summer, regardless of what happens this year, things are going to get really dark around here.

What if the Celtics just wrote off 2008 off as a bridge year because these super teams usually take a year to gel? They didn't put players around the big three and figured they'd win down the line....

Well the Celtics definitely wrote off 2007 and that worked out.

Not really the same scenario. 

This Celtics team has two All-Stars in their early-mid 20s (one of whom is arguiably already tranistioning to superstar status) and was coming off, from memory, three ECF appearances in four years prior to the abomination that was last season.

This is not like the 06-07 team, which hadn't made it past the first round in 3 straight seasons.  It made perfect sense for a team like that to throw away a season if need be to bring about drastic change.  This team had already improved by adding Horford and Moses in the Kemba trade.  They could have added Richardson, resigned Fournier, added maybe one other player to the roster in free agency.  Roster would have looked soemthing like:

C: A.Horford, R.Williams, G. Williams
PF: J.Tatum, T.Thompson, J.Parker
SF: J.Brown, E.Fournier, A.Nesmith,
SG: J.Richardson, E.Fournier, R.Langford
PG: M.Smart, P.Pritchard, C.Dunn

Even as it is, that's actually a pretty well rounded team that I think could have hung with pretty much anybody this coming season.  That starting 5 would proabably be one of the best defensive units in the league while still be pretty capable offensively, while having Fournier, Thompson and Williams on that second unit could made for one of the strongest benches in the league. 

And you could have still added an additional veteran free agent or two using the whatever MLE was available and possibly one of the team's remaining TPE's.  Given how wide open the league is right now, that team might have been a genuine title contender in the East with that extra depth, extra toughness, and a new coach to freshen things up.

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2021, 08:28:22 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
We all want more excitement....which for me means we would have traded into the draft for something like Davion Mitchell, or Scottie Barnes...Not because I like perpetual youth, but because I thought we lost a lot of guys in recent years and feel we need to reboot somewhat (just me).

However, things are not as dire as most post in this thread seem to suggest.

in my humble opinion:

1.  Richardson is being underrated

2.  I'm tired of highly rated Celtic draft picks rotting on the bench for longer than they should.  I want Romeo and Nesmith in at big minutes to gain experience.  I want to see what Ime can do with those two...the moves so far suggest plenty of time for those two, which I think will lead to very good results for them and the C's.

3.  The off season is just starting...calm calm...just because the plan for now is to go after big fish next year (doesn't have to be Beal btw), doesn't mean a deal won't be made if the right one comes along.

4.  Smart can still be great...he has been written off by the blog as a has been...this is ridiculous.  But I'm tired of Smart being the only defensive alpha who makes things happen.  Dunn will finally be someone who can help Marcus out in the tough defender department.  And when Smart is banged up or out for a stretch...Dunn will be there so that the D doesn't fall off a cliff.

5.  The team wants to emphasize defense...the moves thus far do just that.  Adding scorers is nice, but we have two major scorers on the team, and Pritchard should have a good second year scoring too.

6.  Gearing up for next year's free agents is not at all a horrid plan. 

7.  Most of the recent blog frustration (last couple days) seems to be from not resigning Fournier.  I agree it's a loss.  However...aren't most on here always harping about not overpaying the wrong guy at the wrong time?  I really like Fournier, but if he stays then Romeo and Nesmith just turn into wall flowers.  Can't wait to see those two develop this year...they can't shoot as well as Fournier, but they are both better defenders...Romeo for sure and Nesmith I imagine very soon if not already, with size and activity making up for lack of experience.

8.  I love Robert Williams.  I haven't written him off due to injuries.  Lots of guys have injuries early in their careers.  Robert and Pritchard (and even Grant) have one more year of experience.  Add Horford helping to re-structure things and I think it's a recipe for much improved play over last year's uninspired output.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 08:35:54 PM by wiley »

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2021, 08:29:03 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum

None? RIP

Yeah this is really disheartening, and I’m usually an optimist regarding this team. We have two of the best young players in the league and here we go with another “bridge” year, waiting on the hope of a guy becoming available. It’s worked so well in past years…

You need to build around Tatum and Brown. A part of me really does wonder how much of this is to save Wyc money, disguised as a “long-term plan.”

According to this is was exactly that:
https://theathletic.com/2748924/2021/08/03/nba-free-agents-olympics-evan-fournier-nicolas-batum/?source=rss

The Celtics did not want to dip into the luxury tax, and so they let him walk. Fournier said he wanted to play for Knicks coach Tom Thibodeau, and also,“I enjoy pressure, I enjoy the spotlight. “They had a good season and they had a really good spot open. I thought I could help and yeah, God, it’s freaking New York,” Fournier said. “You want to be a part of something big, you want to have pressure, you want to be a guy that competes every night and I feel like New York was a great opportunity for me to live those moments.”

And this:

Gary Washburn: Evan Fournier said his first intention was to re-sign with #Celtics: “That was my priority going into the summer. Because I knew the place. I talked to Brad and we couldn’t get a deal done, obviously. I was more inclined to sign there because they traded for me.”

Yet another case of Boston turning their backs on quality players who seemed happy to be here. 

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2021, 08:30:54 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

None? RIP

You need to build around Tatum and Brown. A part of me really does wonder how much of this is to save Wyc money, disguised as a “long-term plan.” For example, there is no reason not to use the 5.7m MLE, except to save Wyc money.

How about J. Brunson, Miles Bridges, Terry Rozier....  The team can split Beal's money up among two of those guys.  The C's don't need a third superstar.  Two is enough if there is great quality around them.

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2021, 08:43:59 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We simply don't have many other viable options right now.   Our trade assets are dicey, young talent especially, we are close the luxury tax.  Getting cap space may be our best option but there is no guarantee that someone comes here next year.

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2021, 08:47:05 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
We all want more excitement....which for me means we would have traded into the draft for something like Davion Mitchell, or Scottie Barnes...Not because I like perpetual youth, but because I thought we lost a lot of guys in recent years and feel we need to reboot somewhat (just me).

However, things are not as dire as most post in this thread seem to suggest.

in my humble opinion:

1.  Richardson is being underrated

2.  I'm tired of highly rated Celtic draft picks rotting on the bench for longer than they should.  I want Romeo and Nesmith in at big minutes to gain experience.  I want to see what Ime can do with those two...the moves so far suggest plenty of time for those two, which I think will lead to very good results for them and the C's.

3.  The off season is just starting...calm calm...just because the plan for now is to go after big fish next year (doesn't have to be Beal btw), doesn't mean a deal won't be made if the right one comes along.

4.  Smart can still be great...he has been written off by the blog as a has been...this is ridiculous.  But I'm tired of Smart being the only defensive alpha who makes things happen.  Dunn will finally be someone who can help Marcus out in the tough defender department.  And when Smart is banged up or out for a stretch...Dunn will be there so that the D doesn't fall off a cliff.

5.  The team wants to emphasize defense...the moves thus far do just that.  Adding scorers is nice, but we have two major scorers on the team, and Pritchard should have a good second year scoring too.

6.  Gearing up for next year's free agents is not at all a horrid plan. 

7.  Most of the recent blog frustration (last couple days) seems to be from not resigning Fournier.  I agree it's a loss.  However...aren't most on here always harping about not overpaying the wrong guy at the wrong time?  I really like Fournier, but if he stays then Romeo and Nesmith just turn into wall flowers.  Can't wait to see those two develop this year...they can't shoot as well as Fournier, but they are both better defenders...Romeo for sure and Nesmith I imagine very soon if not already, with size and activity making up for lack of experience.

I appreciate your perspective, though IMHO:

1. Richardson is not at all being underrated.  People seem to be viewing him as a bigger version of marcus Smart who is a little better offensively and a little worse defensively.  That seems pretty accurate to me.  I think think there is any hidden secrets about who the guy is at this point.

2.  I agree - but I think the solution for this is to get rid of some of the excess picks so they have a chance elsewhere, not to hand major minutes over to unproven propspects. We tried last year depending on key minutes from Pritchard and Nesmith - not by choice, but by necessity.  That didn't play out so well.  I think they will be much better this year, but they are still young guys.  They are going to have growing pains and make mistakes.  We dont need 3-4 such players in our rotation. 

3. This is true, though it does seem like most of the quality free agents who were available are not gone, with Boston left in a position to pick up some craps / crumbs.  And given the desire to stay under the tax threshold (and the lack of tradable salary now on the roster) I'm not sure there is all that much potential eft for goalpost moving acquisitions to be made. 

4. Smart can't be great, he never has been.  He can be a really good role player if he stops acting like he things hes an All-Star and actually buys in to his role for a change.  I've seen him do that one season so far (the bubble season) and even then he let it slip at times in crucial moments.  I'm praying that under a tougher, less soft coach he will be held in check, but I'm not holding my breath.

5. All the moves did is, on paper, made our starting line up better defensively by adding Richardson and Horford.  But god only knows how much Hoford is going to contribute since he is now 36 years old and didnt play half of last season.  And Richardson has not looked great as of late.  Witht hose additions we also lost Moses (who I was actually excited about) and TT (who was one of the more dependable guys on our bench) and Fournier (who could have been that 6th man we so desperately need).  I cant look at this roster and see anythign but a major regression. 

6. It could be.  If beal happens to have a major injury (which he's had his share of in the past) and misses the end of the season then the entire plan pretty much goes down the toilet, and this season was dumped down the crapper more or less for nothing.    Beal is a good player...I'm really not sure if he's good enough that I'm willing to put THAT much of the team's future in his hands. 

7. What Fournier got is not an overpay.  Looks lkike he got just under $20M a year over 3 years with a 4th year option.  Given what other players around the league are getting right now that is MORE than reasonable for a guy who could have been a game changer as the #3 scoring option or 6th man for this team.  He could have been a legitime 6MOTY candidate here and could have taken a ton of offensive pressure off Brown and Tatum.  Now we just have to wait until mid season for Brad Stevens to go around saying that the team is hurting from losing Fournier (like they did last year about Hayward) and that they need to find a replacment.