Author Topic: First time I am worried  (Read 10477 times)

Re: First time I am worried
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2021, 07:13:22 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I feel like the Celtics are approaching a cliff, if they don’t get Beal by this time next year, there are no stars available via free agency till 2024.

This all but assures me that Jaylen Brown will be traded.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2021, 07:25:27 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Tatum is the 2nd youngest player and 2nd leading scorer on the USA Olympic team; Brown would’ve joined him on the team if he were healthy. The Jays were Top 20 in Points Scored, PPG, above average individual and team defenders, and averaged career highs across the board at 23 and 24 years old. They’re durable, have performed well in the playoffs, and improved year over year.

As is, this team will be top 5 on defense with no defensive mismatches in our starting/closing 5 and our ceiling will be determined by how well we close games (conditioning/half court offense). Combine that with having 4-5 promising young players with an NBA season of experience under their belt already training together to play in the Summer League and I’m not worrying.

« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2021, 07:33:03 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I think Beal will sign with Washington for another 4-5 years..they putting some good players around him with and I say he has control of who comes and goes

What good players are you referring to?

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2021, 07:41:19 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
I think Beal will sign with Washington for another 4-5 years..they putting some good players around him with and I say he has control of who comes and goes

What good players are you referring to?

Does anyone think that Washington got better?

« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2021, 07:44:08 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
(Not counting the playoffs, because of Brown's injury)

I feel as if the Celtics should have had a better season last year. They were inconsistent as a whole, predictable on offense and lazy on defense.

I just wonder when Tatum and Brown are going to over-achieve and drive a team to surprisingly good season. IT did it, with a lesser team...It's not just about scoring averages either. Both score individually well.

When have you ever seen either get into the face of an opponent. I don't think I've ever seen Tatum or Brown have words with an opposing player for over-stepping. Where's the emotion?

Perhaps the Celtic ownership are waiting for a sign they're hungry, before further investing.   

« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2021, 07:48:43 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
The problem with the "cap space for Beal" route was always that it was inflexible to the point that I assumed the team wouldn't choose it. Here we are though. When you can't sign anyone beyond one season deals and you can't trade for anyone with a contract beyond next season and you can't move any first-rounders because you need them for a Beal offer this is what the summer looks like.

Hopefully they get Beal, I guess.

This is like Anthony Davis all over again.

My thoughts exactly.  You think we'd learn.  What a waste of time this year is going to be. 

« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2021, 07:51:07 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
On the bright side, a team that boasts Jayson Tatum & Jaylen Brown on the same team will be one of the finest if not the finest landing spot for any marquee FAs looking for stars to hook up with to win a Championship.

As FA attractiveness goes, the Celtics are giving FAs a fantastic offer (next summer or future summers beyond).

I hope that you're right, but I don't think that you are.  Why should a free agent trust that the team is going to make smart and costly moves to keep the team in contention? 

Right now, the reputation in league circles is:

1.  Boston is racist;
2.  Boston is cheap;
3.  Boston has no loyalty

Those aren't completely fair, but it's the reputation. 

And, the wild thing is that even if we give up every single player on our roster other than Tatum, Brown and Nesmith, we still won't be able to offer Beal a complete max.  Is he going to take less money to sign here for the pleasure of playing alongside 10+ minimum contract teammates?

There's only one way I see this working out.  *If* we can convince Washington to do a sign and trade with us involving Horford's contract, we may be able to sign-and-trade for Beal and retain Bird rights on our own free agents.  That would probably cost us a first rounder at minimum, but it's really the team's only hope.

I'm fully prepared for us to end up with Andrew Wiggins or Malcolm Brogdon as consolation prizes 2023.
Brogdon would be very neat as a 3rd star, but not if it costs us our whole roster.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2021, 08:18:06 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
would the OP kindly change the thread title to "the chicken little thread"?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2021, 08:22:43 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
On the bright side, a team that boasts Jayson Tatum & Jaylen Brown on the same team will be one of the finest if not the finest landing spot for any marquee FAs looking for stars to hook up with to win a Championship.

As FA attractiveness goes, the Celtics are giving FAs a fantastic offer (next summer or future summers beyond).

I hope that you're right, but I don't think that you are.  Why should a free agent trust that the team is going to make smart and costly moves to keep the team in contention? 

Right now, the reputation in league circles is:

1.  Boston is racist;
2.  Boston is cheap;
3.  Boston has no loyalty

Those aren't completely fair, but it's the reputation. 

And, the wild thing is that even if we give up every single player on our roster other than Tatum, Brown and Nesmith, we still won't be able to offer Beal a complete max.  Is he going to take less money to sign here for the pleasure of playing alongside 10+ minimum contract teammates?

There's only one way I see this working out.  *If* we can convince Washington to do a sign and trade with us involving Horford's contract, we may be able to sign-and-trade for Beal and retain Bird rights on our own free agents.  That would probably cost us a first rounder at minimum, but it's really the team's only hope.
Beals max is 41.6 mil. If we waive and stretch Horford we will be at 104 mil with just brown tatum beal and Horford and Demetrius jackson(lol)’s money we are at 105 mil roughly on a 119 mil projected cap.

Tell me where my math is wrong?

Ahh my math is wrong because minimum salary holds get placed to fill out the roster don’t they?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 08:37:23 PM by Ilikesports17 »
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2021, 09:12:04 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I feel like the Celtics are approaching a cliff, if they don’t get Beal by this time next year, there are no stars available via free agency till 2024.

I think this is inevitable assuming their target is Beal. JT/Beal + whatever they get for Brown. Maybe that Lillard. Maybe it’s Towns. I don’t know. But that is likely what will happen.

« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2021, 09:31:17 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

I think this is inevitable assuming their target is Beal. JT/Beal + whatever they get for Brown. Maybe that Lillard. Maybe it’s Towns. I don’t know. But that is likely what will happen.

I expect Towns to be on the market after next season. Minnesota is a train wreck. His patience has gotta be wearing thin by now.

« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2021, 10:43:43 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
The Celtics should've just went all in instead of waiting and waiting. What are they gonna do with all those picks? Keep them to draft more Carsen Edwards or James Youngs? If Beal doesn't pan out next summer, then Tatum/Brown are gone after 2023 or whenever they hit FA.

Been waiting since 2008.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2021, 10:50:11 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The Celtics should've just went all in instead of waiting and waiting. What are they gonna do with all those picks? Keep them to draft more Carsen Edwards or James Youngs? If Beal doesn't pan out next summer, then Tatum/Brown are gone after 2023 or whenever they hit FA.

Been waiting since 2008.
Horford, Hayward, Kyrie and Kemba not enough? Not to mention attempts at Durant and Davis?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2021, 11:09:29 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
I kinda like this roster.

For the first time, the team is truly the Jay's - No Hayward, No Kyrie, No Kemba. My only problem, as always, is that we lack a truly deadly 3 and D third guy, like Joe Harris, Jrue, Klay etc..

I expect both Jay's to put up huge numbers, and lead us to ECF. If they can't position us there by February, then it's time to talk trades.

Let's see the Jay's combined ceiling for once.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2021, 11:14:28 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I kinda like this roster.

For the first time, the team is truly the Jay's - No Hayward, No Kyrie, No Kemba. My only problem, as always, is that we lack a truly deadly 3 and D third guy, like Joe Harris, Jrue, Klay etc..

I expect both Jay's to put up huge numbers, and lead us to ECF. If they can't position us there by February, then it's time to talk trades.

Let's see the Jay's combined ceiling for once.

ECF? That will be great…