Author Topic: Are we tanking or should we?  (Read 4178 times)

Re: Are we tanking or should we?
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2021, 01:34:25 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
I don’t think we can tank unless Tatum and Brown get a bunch of rest days to heal injuries or “injuries”. The two of them are too good to miss the playoffs

That said, Brad is kinda punting the year with this roster right now. The play seems to be making a play for a big FA next year, get whoever we can with MLE, and then roll with a bunch of minimums/rookies to round out the roster. Someone’s going to want to play alongside Beal-Brown-Tatum-Timelord

There are all kinds of ways to tank, and yes they are tanking. Tanking for cap space is tanking.

Correct. We are not trying to lose per se. We are gunning for cap space. Which involves us likely losing more to get what we need.

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2021, 02:02:23 PM »

Offline rogueandpoet

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Tanking no. This team as is ... healthy, is easily equal to or better than Phoenix or Atlanta. Healthy odds are Langford and Nesmith become studs. We still need another good big. Horford and Timelord are not enough.

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2021, 02:30:41 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Tanking no. This team as is ... healthy, is easily equal to or better than Phoenix or Atlanta. Healthy odds are Langford and Nesmith become studs. We still need another good big. Horford and Timelord are not enough.
This team is no where near as deep as ATL or PHO.

Odds are Langford and Nesmith are out of the league in a few years likely.

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2021, 02:40:42 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
WYC, just Sell the team....you've made enough cash....it's obvious you don't want to spend money to win, don't let this franchise become the Baltimore Orioles.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2021, 02:45:12 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

I’d take that bet. I will be shocked if nesmith is out of the league in a few years. He’s a plus shooter with prototypical wing size and a high motor. Langford’s future is harder to see but he’s obviously a plus wing defender already, who may or may develop on the offensive end. Guys like that usually find a role/place.

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2021, 02:47:22 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282

Langford yes it is possible. Not Nesmith on my opinion. He has many qualities many team want : hustle, shoot, lenght... And no réal health care. After will he be a starter or an end bench guy it is another thing.

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2021, 02:54:32 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
I don’t think we can tank unless Tatum and Brown get a bunch of rest days to heal injuries or “injuries”. The two of them are too good to miss the playoffs

That said, Brad is kinda punting the year with this roster right now. The play seems to be making a play for a big FA next year, get whoever we can with MLE, and then roll with a bunch of minimums/rookies to round out the roster. Someone’s going to want to play alongside Beal-Brown-Tatum-Timelord
How?
Next year Tatum($30,351,780)+ Brown($28,741,071) + Timelord's cap hold($10,985,927), + 8x empty roster cap holds($953,000.00) + deadcap($92,857) = $119,445,635

Add Beal(at the max $41,65,0000) = $119,445,635
Over the Cap, can't do it.

So either RWIII sign's for less than $10.5M or Beal (($41.65M) accepts less than the max.

This assumes we don't exercise our options on Langford, GWill, Nesmith, Pritchard, and Edwards, or move them with no money or first round picks coming back.

And renounce Smart, Richardson, and Parker.

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2021, 03:08:38 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I wonder if the lack of free agents coming to Boston has more to do with a lack of aggression by the team, or if it has more to do with players wanting to go elsewhere. If it’s the latter, does Stevens need to make another trade to help improve the team? Another point of view is the team is trying to take a long term approach and planning on going after Beal in next year’s free agent market. I’m not sure if a trio of Beal, Brown, and Tatum will get the job done, especially since Beal and Brown play the same position. I would think of trading Brown now, if this legit big man is available.

Boston: Karl-Anthony Towns
Philadelphia: Jaylen Brown
Minnesota: Ben Simmons, Robert Williams III

PG: Smart
SG: Richardson
SF: Tatum
PF: Horford
C:   Towns

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2021, 03:22:49 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
I wonder if the lack of free agents coming to Boston has more to do with a lack of aggression by the team, or if it has more to do with players wanting to go elsewhere. If it’s the latter, does Stevens need to make another trade to help improve the team? Another point of view is the team is trying to take a long term approach and planning on going after Beal in next year’s free agent market. I’m not sure if a trio of Beal, Brown, and Tatum will get the job done, especially since Beal and Brown play the same position. I would think of trading Brown now, if this legit big man is available.

I'm not the biggest Towns fan, but this makes more sense than the "white whale" Beal scenario.

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2021, 09:39:26 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Odds are typically based on mathematical calculations, or some other form of logical deduction.

The emboldened is not that. Why are the odds that those two will be out of the league? Because you don't like them?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2021, 09:42:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I'd be down with this for the most part, except that sending Jaylen Brown to Philly would suck. Don't want to root against him that hard. ESPN would froth over the Tatum v Brown narrative too.

I do like the basic framework of acquiring Towns for Brown though. He earns more than JB though, so would be hard to acquire a max alongside him like Beal.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2021, 10:25:11 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Odds are typically based on mathematical calculations, or some other form of logical deduction.

The emboldened is not that. Why are the odds that those two will be out of the league? Because you don't like them?
Stats. Average NBA career is 4.5 years. Some of these non elite guys get a second deal. Most don’t. Pretty sure Langford is heading that way. Nesmith has promise but who knows.