Author Topic: Are we tanking or should we?  (Read 4197 times)

Are we tanking or should we?
« on: August 03, 2021, 05:20:52 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
The Celtics finished as a .500 team last season and arguably have gotten worse.
And there doesn't seem any indication they're looking to make moves to make big talent upgrades.
This team as currently constructed isn't going anywhere.
Fighting for the lower playoff spots is the best we can reasonably hope for.

Might as well fully invest in our young guys and take the inconsistencies and losses, which improves our draft pick.
Just play Pritchard, Langford, Nesmith, Fernando(?) and perhaps even Edwards and G.Williams as much as possible.
Even if they disappoint they can at least build up value as trading chips.

Also consider trading Smart, Richardson and Horford whenever the opportunity arises to capitalize on a hot streak.

Pritchard/Edwards
Brown/Langford
Nesmith
Tatum/G.Williams
Timelord/Fernando

Re: Are we tanking or should we?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 05:42:11 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
If we were tanking, we wouldn't have acquired JRich. It seems that the plan is to stay competitive this season in order to maximize our chances of landing Beal in the 2022 free agency. Fwiw, I like that plan a lot. We'll probably have a less talented roster next season, but we got a clear plan in mind. Not sure whether we had a long-term plan under Danny in his last couple of seasons.

Let's face it, we weren't legit contenders with a supporting cast of Kemba, Fournier, Smart and Timelord. We needed to shake things up. Now was the time to do it. Brown is under contract for 3 more seasons. Tatum is under contract for 4 seasons. It's not like we are afraid they might walk or something. Personally speaking, my #1 target would have been Ben Simmons. I'm perfectly happy going after Beal as well.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 06:14:30 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 05:51:08 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
We don't but I think we should. If we had tank last matches last year we could have Moody now. It is a transition year. But we won't do it because of supposed celtics identity and Stevens mentality. So we take for year borderline titulary to figth for a PO spot. The players who will be there next year are not Richardson (I don't dislike him as a player), Horford and whatever vets we sign at PG and PF. Developp the most we can Nesmith, Timelord, Pritchard and Langford. That is counting.

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 06:05:18 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Pretty sure we're not tanking and I don't think we should either. It's overrated IMO especially since it's that much harder to get a No.1 pick even if you are terrible. And if we start tanking expect JT and JB to ask their agents to explore trades.

I think what we're doing is trying to stay competitive while positioning ourselves financially for free agents next year and the year after to take advantage of the primes of the Jays. Yes it sucks always planning for tomorrow, when tomorrow feels like it never comes. But I'd rather be perennially competitive than have a boom-bust cycle every so often.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2021, 06:12:37 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
For what it's worth, that Clippers team around PG and Kawhi was pretty awful. They were an injury away from being in the NBA finals..

I can see another gear from Jaylen still on the horizon, and Big Al will help hugely with both their games. If we get improvement out of Nesmith and Romeo, and pick up a good shooter on a bad team at the deadline, I don't think this season is a write-off just yet.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2021, 06:21:02 AM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
It appears the Cs are focusing more on defense this year than offense.  We still have the MLE that can be used to sign a decent rotation player for one year. 

This is the year the Jays and Smart need to step up.  Smart for one has every incentive to improve, this being his contract year. 

Whether the CS succeed or fail depends upon how great JT is this year.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 06:30:11 AM by BMark »

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2021, 06:55:20 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If we were tanking, we wouldn't have acquired JRich. It seems that the plan is to stay competitive this season in order to maximize our chances of landing Beal in the 2022 free agency. Fwiw, I like that plan a lot. We'll probably have a less talented roster next season, but we got a clear plan in mind. Not sure whether we had a long-term plan under Danny in his last couple of seasons.

Let's face it, we weren't legit contenders with a supporting cast of Kemba, Fournier, Smart and Timelord. We needed to shake things up. Now was the time to do it. Brown is under contract for 3 more seasons. Tatum is under contract for 4 seasons. It's not like we are afraid they might walk or something. Personally speaking, my #1 target would have been Ben Simmons. I'm perfectly happy going after Beal as well.
Yeah, exactly. Would be a totally nonsense move to get Richardson if we were totally punting on this season. Feel like we'll have a better feel once the TT move, whatever it ends up being, is finalised.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2021, 06:57:31 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
The FA class of ‘22 will be attracted to a functional team with 2 young all-stars heading into their prime that is responding to a talented coach.  Not a tanking mess.

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2021, 07:24:02 AM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
The only way this makes sense is if — God forbid — the team is riddled with injuries, ie Tatum and/or Brown are out for the year. Think back to 05-06 with Pierce’s stress reaction in his leg. Then you start resting guys. But it would take something major for the Celtics to even consider that.

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2021, 07:25:14 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
The FA class of ‘22 will be attracted to a functional team with 2 young all-stars heading into their prime that is responding to a talented coach.  Not a tanking mess.

Yes... Maybe.... Or maybe Beak has allready choose to play with his best buddy. Remember Jason loves Durant and Irving. Maybe he will have hhe same méthods

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2021, 07:27:41 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Also consider trading Smart, Richardson and Horford whenever the opportunity arises to capitalize on a hot streak.

Pritchard/Edwards
Brown/Langford
Nesmith
Tatum/G.Williams
Timelord/Fernando
So the players you get back for Smart, Richardson and Horford just sit on the bench?  True tanking indeed!

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2021, 07:37:17 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
If they tank and get a lottery pick, can they even afford to pay the prospect without eating up the max cap space? Would be pretty funny if they ranked, got a high pick, and then we’re not able to sign any max FAs because they couldn’t get max cap space.

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2021, 07:50:53 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
No and No
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2021, 08:12:53 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
No and No

^^

What he said?

Why would anyone think we're tanking?  We still have a vary good lineup, specially with the two J's.  Set yourself up for the 2022 free agent class while going for it this year still.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2022/
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2021, 08:14:44 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
At this point if we were tanking I'd half expect them to trade our pick to get rid of Horford.