Author Topic: Celtics Depth Chart 2021-2022 season  (Read 26855 times)

Re: Celtics Depth Chart 2021-2022 season
« Reply #135 on: August 12, 2021, 10:12:11 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Gotta ask. How many of your posts have you criticizing and hating on Grant Williams? Like all of them?

Did he do something to you or your family or something? I have only seen someone constantly taking shots at a player all the time like once, and that was Kyrie Irving, so to me it's understandable, kinda, because Kyrie is, well, Kyrie.

Grant, on the other hand, is a good kid/guy. He tries and works his ass off. Limited? Yeah, but he is a #9-#15 guy in the rotation type player. All those guys are limited.

He is has done nothing to me,  I was just pointing out that Jabari is the better player.   Take that under consideration, a broke down and worn Jabari is still better player.

Yes, he is a good guy, but the world is full on good guys not in the NBA.   This is a factor in locker room compatibility component to evaluation but you can't win with guys that are only good guys, you need players and talented ones at that.  As for the trying,  this is the same as being nice.   A lot of guys try hard that are not in the NBA.   Would a roster of Grants and Tackos win anything?

In the world of Covid, depth is even more important than in the past.  You need guys up and down the bench who can step in and play.

Parker is on a nonguaranteed contract.

Yep, and I said as much that he is most likely cap casualty.   I realize that.   My point was simply from a basketball perspective.

« Reply #136 on: August 12, 2021, 10:48:36 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I know it’s probably not going to happen, but I’d prefer Smart coming off the bench and getting the majority of backup minutes at PG,SG, SF. He could still play 25-30 minutes a game as a reserve. Not interested in him and Schröder starting together.

My ideal starting lineup:

Schröder, Richardson, Brown, Tatum, Horford

I think I agree with everything here as long as Pritchard and Nesmith can get 15 or so minutes a game consistently. I would be bummed if Smart took their minutes and then left after the season.

To me, it is not really Smart that is taking anyone's minutes, he was likely to be a 32+ min starter until we signed Schroder.  Now Schroder is going to take those minutes.  To me, it breaks down this way (on average, not necessarily every game as there will be injuries, foul trouble, etc.)

PG:       Schroder 32 min, Pritchard 16 min
Big:      Horford 24 min, RWilliams 24 min
Wings:  Brown 36 min, Tatum 36 min

That leaves 72 minutes for other wings, swings, combos, PFs or whatever you want to call them.   (I am using round numbers so please don't nit pick me and say it should be 33 min or 34 min, not 36 or 32).  Smart and Richardson both warrant 24 min as a floor which only leaves 24 for everyone else.  Parker and GWill probably will need to play 12 min each just for match ups.  These are our only two players that are even close to PFs.  You won't be able to say I want Langford and not Parker.  Parker and GWill will need to play as our PFs sometimes even if we go 1-big often.

Conclusion, Smart or Richardson need to be traded if you want to see Nesmith or Langford play any level of regular minutes.  You can't pay these guys $12M, $14M and have them play 16-18 minutes.  And to give any meaningful time to Nesmith and Langford, it probably has to be more like 12 min each. 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 11:08:04 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #137 on: August 12, 2021, 12:23:19 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
I know it’s probably not going to happen, but I’d prefer Smart coming off the bench and getting the majority of backup minutes at PG,SG, SF. He could still play 25-30 minutes a game as a reserve. Not interested in him and Schröder starting together.

I think I agree with everything here as long as Pritchard and Nesmith can get 15 or so minutes a game consistently. I would be bummed if Smart took their minutes and then left after the season.

To me, it is not really Smart that is taking anyone's minutes, he was likely to be a 32+ min starter until we signed Schroder.  Now Schroder is going to take those minutes.  To me, it breaks down this way (on average, not necessarily every game as there will be injuries, foul trouble, etc.)

That leaves 72 minutes for other wings, swings, combos, PFs or whatever you want to call them.   (I am using round numbers so please don't nit pick me and say it should be 33 min or 34 min, not 36 or 32).  Smart and Richardson both warrant 24 min as a floor which only leaves 24 for everyone else.  Parker and GWill probably will need to play 12 min each just for match ups.  These are our only two players that are even close to PFs.  You won't be able to say I want Langford and not Parker.  Parker and GWill will need to play as our PFs sometimes even if we go 1-big often.

Conclusion, Smart or Richardson need to be traded if you want to see Nesmith or Langford play any level of regular minutes.  You can't pay these guys $12M, $14M and have them play 16-18 minutes.  And to give any meaningful time to Nesmith and Langford, it probably has to be more like 12 min each.

I'd be very, very surprised if Schroder ended up with more minutes than Smart (assuming health), as you project.  Smart is going to play a lot of his minutes at PG, at least 50%.  Schroder isn't going to take those, nor is Pritchard (I think Smart and Pritchard will get to share the court with Pritchard as the off-ball guard while Smart is at point.)  I see Schroder getting 20-25 mpg.  No way he gets 32.

« Reply #138 on: August 12, 2021, 01:05:45 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

I'd be very, very surprised if Schroder ended up with more minutes than Smart (assuming health), as you project.  Smart is going to play a lot of his minutes at PG, at least 50%.  Schroder isn't going to take those, nor is Pritchard (I think Smart and Pritchard will get to share the court with Pritchard as the off-ball guard while Smart is at point.)  I see Schroder getting 20-25 mpg.  No way he gets 32.

Doesn't change the overall calculus.  You say that Schroder will play 20-25 min (call it 24 min, I like round numbers) and that Smart will play more than Schroder, so let Smart be 32.  That does not change the math at all regarding what is left over for Nesmith and Langford.  It is still exactly 56 minutes combined for Schroder and Smart.  My post was responding to the concern over what minutes Pritchard and Nesmith will get.

I think Pritchard has a pretty set role as the back up PG but if you give more minutes to the combined total of Schroder and Smart, something has to give.  Even an average of 28 each for Smart and Schroder (total 56) is below what they have been playing the last few years.  Both were right around 32 min last season.  We have a PG/Combo Guard log jam with the current roster that if not changed, will impact Nesmith and Langford for sure and maybe even Pritchard (Dunn will not see much at all).  Or we will not be fully utilizing Smart and Schroder who are both legit starter level players and are likely to expect starter minutes.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 01:15:33 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #139 on: August 12, 2021, 01:32:44 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I am not convinced Pritchard will be part of the rotation. If Smart is starting at PG (even if splitting time between PG & SG), then Schroder will take almost all the backup PG minutes.

Very easy to see scenarios where Pritchard is the odd man out. And unfortunately, I believe these to be the most likely scenarios based on Udoka's comments about Smart at PG (albeit comments made prior to signing Schroder).

« Reply #140 on: August 12, 2021, 01:57:03 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
In my opinion, both Smart and Schroder are starting level PGs who have been starters playing around 32 minutes (I guess that isn't even an opinion, that is just fact).  Both have also been kind of 6th man types but still were 30 min or more.  I don't like the idea of 2 separate but equal PGs, playing 24 minutes each.  Kind of like (but not as bad as) having no clear #1 QB.  Who plays PG at crunch time?  I would be fine with either but their styles are different.  A team needs one primary PG that they get used to playing with.  Schroder is probably the better pure PG.

And I don't see the 4th quarter line up including both of these guys.  Smart is a combo and is versatile enough to play almost any role but him playing off Kemba is a lot different than him playing off Schroder.  However you slice this, one or both of Smart and Schroder get underutilized while at the same time some combination of Pritchard, Nesmith, and Langford lose opportunities.

At $5.9M, it makes no sense to trade Schroder.  I think a Smart trade is now on the clock.  I am not thrilled about that, I love Marcus, but I feel that is the new reality.  No rush, better to get it done in the off season if you are going to do it, but nothing wrong with doing it in-season if the right deal is not there in the off season.  We can also trade Richardson and that would free up minutes, making Marcus the utility infielder (I still think Schroder and Pritchard are the primary PGs in this case).

« Reply #141 on: August 12, 2021, 07:07:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
There will be plenty of minutes for Pritchard, Romeo and Nesmith. First, I don't see Smart getting 32 minutes. Second, Schoder will be about 26-28 Third, I see both Jays more around 34 minutes. Every minute available will count.

Lastly but most importantly, there will be injuries. So the bench youth will rack up larger minutes in those games, meaning their minutes will be higher than the total amount of slotted minutes. Smart usually misses 12-15 games a year. Brown and Tatum will get the occasional days off and miss other games. They do that. Schroder is good for 5 or more games missed a year. Factor that in and I have no worries that Langford, Nesmith and Pritchard will get plenty of minutes to develop.

« Reply #142 on: August 12, 2021, 09:07:20 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I am not convinced Pritchard will be part of the rotation. If Smart is starting at PG (even if splitting time between PG & SG), then Schroder will take almost all the backup PG minutes.

Very easy to see scenarios where Pritchard is the odd man out. And unfortunately, I believe these to be the most likely scenarios based on Udoka's comments about Smart at PG (albeit comments made prior to signing Schroder).

If the way he's playing in SL is no fluke, hard not to see him getting minutes regardless on who may potentially be in front of him in the depth chart. He'll get on the floor one way or another I'm sure.

« Reply #143 on: August 12, 2021, 10:17:32 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
In my opinion, both Smart and Schroder are starting level PGs who have been starters playing around 32 minutes (I guess that isn't even an opinion, that is just fact).  Both have also been kind of 6th man types but still were 30 min or more.  I don't like the idea of 2 separate but equal PGs, playing 24 minutes each.

The misconception in these posts is that there are only 48 total minutes to split among Smart & Schroder.  Then after we split them, there are no minutes left for Pritchard.

I think the quality of our point guards this season reminds me of the 2011 Dallas Mavericks with Jason Kidd (33 min per game), JJ Barea (20 min per game), Roddy Beaubois (17 min per game).  I see Smart & Schroder being more equal than Kidd and Barea, more like 30 and 28, with Pritchard filling that Beaubois role of 17 min per game.  Slightly less than the 19 mpg Pritchard got last season, but if he shows serious improvement than Ime will have no choice but to give him more minutes which is a good thing.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #144 on: August 15, 2021, 02:47:42 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
What are your thoughts on the depth chart and bench at this point? I feel much better about it now that the C’s added Schröder. Would still like them to add a veteran PF, like a Paul Millsap at league minimum. I know it’s summer league, but Pritchard/Nesmith were looking really good and confident. If they can’t give Boston a solid 10-15 mins off the bench that would be huge.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 02:53:15 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #145 on: August 15, 2021, 03:11:20 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
What are your thoughts on the depth chart and bench at this point? I feel much better about it now that the C’s added Schröder. Would still like them to add a veteran PF, like a Paul Millsap at league minimum. I know it’s summer league, but Pritchard/Nesmith were looking really good and confident. If they can’t give Boston a solid 10-15 mins off the bench that would be huge.

If we could bring in Milsap on a vet min. that would be fantastic. Al and Dennis need to get on the horn to Paul and tell him and come and play!

« Reply #146 on: August 15, 2021, 03:32:01 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I’m playing around with the minutes distribution.

Horford 20 R Williams 20 Kanter 8
Tatum 32 Parker 8 G Williams 8
Brown 32 Nesmith 16
Smart 28 Richardson 20
Schroder 28 Pritchard 20

Keep Horford’s minutes down to keep him fresh.  Depending on matchups Parker or G Williams at the backup 4 spot.  Of course this is assuming everyone is healthy, but there will always be missed games due to injuries which will increase minutes for others.  This sounds like a 12 man rotation lol but the minutes will most likely vary from game to game.  Starting lineup could change depending on Ime’s preference.  Fernando, Langford, and either Edwards or Dunn garbage time minutes unless if there is an injury.

« Reply #147 on: August 15, 2021, 04:12:52 PM »

Offline stes

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14
I’m playing around with the minutes distribution.

Horford 20 R Williams 20 Kanter 8
Tatum 32 Parker 8 G Williams 8
Brown 32 Nesmith 16
Smart 28 Richardson 20
Schroder 28 Pritchard 20

Keep Horford’s minutes down to keep him fresh.  Depending on matchups Parker or G Williams at the backup 4 spot.  Of course this is assuming everyone is healthy, but there will always be missed games due to injuries which will increase minutes for others.  This sounds like a 12 man rotation lol but the minutes will most likely vary from game to game.  Starting lineup could change depending on Ime’s preference.  Fernando, Langford, and either Edwards or Dunn garbage time minutes unless if there is an injury.

I was thinking about minutes distribution, too, and came to conclusion that maybe it would make sense to extend the playing time of Neismith, Richardson and Pritchard and play small without a backup PF. They problably will switch almost everything anyway… unless Parker comes back in great shape or Williams makes a significant jump, I’d simply like these three aforementioned players to play quite a bit.

« Reply #148 on: August 15, 2021, 04:28:55 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
In my opinion, both Smart and Schroder are starting level PGs who have been starters playing around 32 minutes (I guess that isn't even an opinion, that is just fact).  Both have also been kind of 6th man types but still were 30 min or more.  I don't like the idea of 2 separate but equal PGs, playing 24 minutes each.

The misconception in these posts is that there are only 48 total minutes to split among Smart & Schroder.  Then after we split them, there are no minutes left for Pritchard.

I think the quality of our point guards this season reminds me of the 2011 Dallas Mavericks with Jason Kidd (33 min per game), JJ Barea (20 min per game), Roddy Beaubois (17 min per game).  I see Smart & Schroder being more equal than Kidd and Barea, more like 30 and 28, with Pritchard filling that Beaubois role of 17 min per game.  Slightly less than the 19 mpg Pritchard got last season, but if he shows serious improvement than Ime will have no choice but to give him more minutes which is a good thing.

You can't have more than 5 guys at a time, and we have just as big a numbers crunch at the two spot.

« Reply #149 on: August 15, 2021, 06:11:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Horford (22) / Williams (26)
Tatum (34) / Parker (10) / Horford (4)
Brown (34) / Nesmith (14)
Smart (24) / Richardson (24)
Schroder (24) / Pritchard (20) / Smart (4)

That's how I'd go with the minutes. In total:
Tatum (34)
Brown (34)
Smart (28)
Horford (28)
Timelord (26)
Richardson (24)
Schroder (24)
Pritchard (20)
Nesmith (14)
Parker (10)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)