Author Topic: Celtics Depth Chart 2021-2022 season  (Read 27111 times)

Re: Celtics Depth Chart 2021-2022 season
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2021, 09:29:57 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
G: Smart, Dunn, Pritchard
G: Josh Richardson, Romeo
F: Jaylen, Nesmith
F: Tatum
C: Horford, Rob Williams

Okay, so what am I seeing here?

I am seeing a high level defensive team (top 5) and a 15-20 rated offense which is typical of a high 40s to low 50s win team.

I am seeing an offense that is almost entirely dependent on the individual excellence of Jaylen and Tatum. So if either one of them gets hurt, this team's offense is going to go into the tank and they are going to be a .500 team. If both get hurt, this is 25-30 win team.

There are a lot of question marks in the supporting cast but these question marks are both good questions and bad questions. I've been focused too much on the bad questions.

Bad Questions

- Al Horford is as old as dirt. How much decline?
- Rob Williams injury proneness + has been minute controlled in the past. How much can we depend on him?
- Smart & Dunn's injury proneness.
- Romeo is not ready for prime time. How much can we depend on him?
- Nesmith was showing good signs late last season. Was that a mirage or something we can depend on?
- Will PBS strengthen the bench? There is currently no quality depth at PF. There is no dependable vets behind Romeo & Nesmith. And there is no quality 3rd string C behind old man Horford and injury prone Rob Williams.

Good Questions

- Nesmith looked strong in the close of last season. If he takes another step forward, he can be one of the better backup SFs in the league. Starter material even.
- Horford was good for OKC last season. He still looks able to play a good starter's role who makes players around him better.
- Rob Williams showed tantalizing signs last season. If he can be more consistent, he can become a top 15 center in the league. Can he be consistent? Can he stay injury free? Can he play more than 20-25mpg?
- Can Pritchard take a step forward? Can he provide some of the team offense boost that we need next to our star scorers? Pritchard's shooting and steady decision making could be a boon to our dodgy offense.
- Star scorers - how much more will Tatum and Jaylen improve next season? Will Tatum be top 10 NBA? Will Jaylen be a top 15 player?
- Can Romeo learn enough offense to stay on the court and not hurt his team? If he can, he is a major boost to the bench because his defense is very impressive.

---------------

My point, yeah there are bad question marks against many of our players but there are also good question marks against many of them too. There are good young players here next to Tatum and Jaylen.

Most likely result is not all good nor all bad. There will be some mixture of good results and bad results from these question marks.

------------------

I am seeing a 51 win type team so long as they do not have major injuries which they may because Rob Williams, Marcus Smart and old man Horford are being relied on. Oh and Romeo. Dunn I do not think is being relied on. More 3rd string unless he proves health and shooting reliability.

Injuries could cause major falls but that is true of any team. The odds are just a bit worse for BOS because of the reliance on several injury issue players.

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2021, 09:39:53 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I am seeing a high level defensive team (top 5) and a 15-20 rated offense which is typical of a high 40s to low 50s win team.

I am seeing an offense that is almost entirely dependent on the individual excellence of Jaylen and Tatum. So if either one of them gets hurt, this team's offense is going to go into the tank and they are going to be a .500 team. If both get hurt, this is 25-30 win team.

There are a lot of question marks in the supporting cast but these question marks are both good questions and bad questions. I've been focused too much on the bad questions.

Bad Questions

- Rob Williams injury proneness + has been minute controlled in the past. How much can we depend on him?
- Nesmith was showing good signs late last season. Was that a mirage or something we can depend on?
- Will PBS strengthen the bench? There is currently no quality depth at PF. There is no dependable vets behind Romeo & Nesmith. And there is no quality 3rd string C behind old man Horford and injury prone Rob Williams.

Good Questions

- Nesmith looked strong in the close of last season. If he takes another step forward, he can be one of the better backup SFs in the league. Starter material even.
- Horford was good for OKC last season. He still looks able to play a good starter's role who makes players around him better.
- Rob Williams showed tantalizing signs last season. If he can be more consistent, he can become a top 15 center in the league. Can he be consistent? Can he stay injury free? Can he play more than 20-25mpg?
- Can Pritchard take a step forward? Can he provide some of the team offense boost that we need next to our star scorers? Pritchard's shooting and steady decision making could be a boon to our dodgy offense.
- Star scorers - how much more will Tatum and Jaylen improve next season? Will Tatum be top 10 NBA? Will Jaylen be a top 15 player?
- Can Romeo learn enough offense to stay on the court and not hurt his team? If he can, he is a major boost to the bench because his defense is very impressive.

---------------

My point, yeah there are bad question marks against many of our players but there are also good question marks against many of them too. There are good young players here next to Tatum and Jaylen.

Most likely result is not all good nor all bad. There will be some mixture of good results and bad results from these question marks.

------------------

I am seeing a 51 win type team so long as they do not have major injuries which they may because Rob Williams, Marcus Smart and old man Horford are being relied on. Oh and Romeo. Dunn I do not think is being relied on. More 3rd string unless he proves health and shooting reliability.

Injuries could cause major falls but that is true of any team. The odds are just a bit worse for BOS because of the reliance on several injury issue players.
other questions that should be included.
- If we do get Dunn for TT, are we keeping him and if not, what ARE we getting?
- Romeo showed improved play in the playoffs.  Is that what we'll see after a full training camp where he's healthy?
- Will GWill be at least the player he was as a rookie when he was surprisingly useful on the court or will he be the player he was last year which was a complete mess?

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2021, 09:40:00 AM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1799

Bad Questions

Good Questions

---------------

------------------

What happened to Parker?
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2021, 09:45:16 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

Bad Questions

Good Questions

---------------

------------------

What happened to Parker?

He is useless. Like Grant Williams.

Dead weight. Waste of a roster spot. Both of them.

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2021, 09:52:02 AM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1799

Bad Questions

Good Questions

---------------

------------------

What happened to Parker?

I agree that Williams is useless.  I'm not ready to throw the towel in on Parker.  If he is still on the team, I think he could provide decent backup offense with questionable defense. 
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2021, 10:00:39 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think we are going to pick up a big who can start.  Maybe Bagley from SAC or Gallinari from ATL, maybe something else.  Markkanen is still on the market for example.  Then our team looks like this:

Smart     Pritchard
Brown     Richardson
Tatum     Nesmith
Bagley?   Parker
Horford   Williams

Langford and others fill in.  Assumes that Thompson is traded.

I am OK with that team to build upon.

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2021, 10:14:52 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think we are going to pick up a big who can start.  Maybe Bagley from SAC or Gallinari from ATL, maybe something else.  Markkanen is still on the market for example.  Then our team looks like this:

I believe it when I see it as it seems the finances of the cap space is our true goal and trying to bring in a max guy next year than tread water this year.

There are a lot of guys who would be clear upgrades to what we have now.   The commitment to compete this year, seems less a priority than being a player next year.

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2021, 10:20:43 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666

Bad Questions

Good Questions

---------------

------------------

I'm not quite as optimistic on the squad's defense as you are.  They could be that good, but that requires a lot of things breaking right for us.  Horford will need to show that he still has gas in the tank, and R Williams will need to get more consistent - and stay healthy.  Smart, Brown, and Tatum need to prove that last year was not who they are going forward.  Kemba and Thompson were scapegoated for it, but the reality was that nearly everybody in our rotation was inadequate defensively.  Too often, we looked like a team that had never played together before.  That has to change.

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2021, 10:46:33 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

Smart     Pritchard
Brown     Richardson
Tatum     Nesmith
Bagley?   Parker
Horford   Williams

Langford and others fill in.  Assumes that Thompson is traded.

I am OK with that team to build upon.

Highly unlikely the C’s bring in a starting quality big. Tatum is the starting PF and Al or TL will be at C. Need a backup PF and a 3rd string C.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2021, 10:51:23 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Bad Questions

Good Questions

---------------

------------------

What happened to Parker?

Ha, tell us how you really feel! ;D

I agree that our defence should be strong. Just need a bench forward
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2021, 10:54:14 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Bad Questions

Good Questions

---------------

------------------

I'm not quite as optimistic on the squad's defense as you are.  They could be that good, but that requires a lot of things breaking right for us.  Horford will need to show that he still has gas in the tank, and R Williams will need to get more consistent - and stay healthy.  Smart, Brown, and Tatum need to prove that last year was not who they are going forward.  Kemba and Thompson were scapegoated for it, but the reality was that nearly everybody in our rotation was inadequate defensively.  Too often, we looked like a team that had never played together before.  That has to change.

These are valid concerns. I also wonder how much we can realistically expect of the Jays defensively when they're both going to have carry the offense so much again this season.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2021, 11:47:54 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

Bad Questions

Good Questions

---------------

------------------

These are valid concerns. I also wonder how much we can realistically expect of the Jays defensively when they're both going to have carry the offense so much again this season.

Good point. We need someone who can score outside the Jays. Otherwise, best believe Marcus Smart will feel the need to step up his scoring game

- LilRip

« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2021, 11:54:46 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

Bad Questions

Good Questions

---------------

------------------

Very good thoughts at post TP.  You are absolutely right but until the Thompson deal is done and we see what is going on we truly can't finalize the depth chart.  Until then it's wait and see.  The success of next season is 100% dependent on the J's health and what development we get out of the young guys.  Say the good and Romeo and Nesmith turn into starting caliber players then that's a top 4-6 seed in the east.  If neither develop we are an 8 seed if the J's don't get any scoring help.

Richardson is a wild card.  In Miami he was turning into a very good starter and player.  When he left it all went to Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline..  He didn't have the ball in his hand as much as he needs it.  He's a scorer not a shooter.  He'd be better on the 2nd unit vs next to Smart.  For me below is the best lineup.  Nesmith spreads the floor and adds a shooter for kickouts for Brown and Tatum.  Richardson can assume more ball handling duties with PP.  That 2nd unit has good scoring and chemistry of PP and Rob.  The issue is not having another shooter but this lineup can drive the the hoop all day with  Rob and Parker in the post.  Really good defensive lineup even with Parker. 

PG - Smart - PP
SG - Brown - Richardson
SF - Nesmith - Romeo
PF - Tatum - Parker
C - Horford - Rob

« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2021, 11:55:20 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Good point. We need someone who can score outside the Jays. Otherwise, best believe Marcus Smart will feel the need to step up his scoring game
Think Smart was going to do this regardless if there was 3rd scorer or not

« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2021, 11:56:12 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Kanter backing up Horford, I like it.
CELTICS 2024