Author Topic: Celtics Depth Chart 2021-2022 season  (Read 27106 times)

Re: Celtics Depth Chart 2021-2022 season
« Reply #180 on: August 16, 2021, 07:02:15 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Assuming Smart is here for the 2021-22 season (which is not a lock). I'd cut Parker and dump Dunn, whom I like, but is redundant on this roster especially as I'm more comfortable with PP in the rotation. That gets them under the tax.

Upgrade Hauser to the 15 man roster and sign Madar and Begarin to 2-ways. Hauser's defense is better than Parker's (a very low bar) and he shoots better. Begarin needs a lot of work on his shooting and Madar needs a lot of work on his body. I was impressed with both and think Cs would be better served if they stay here. 

Won't bother with the exercise of who starts and minutes allocation, but the Cs will likely play Kantar regularly enough to manage TL and AH minutes. Also, Nesmith shouldn't start. His defense has still been bad in the VSL though it's nice to see him being much more aggressive offensively (PP too) Last season I found myself yelling at the TV to shoot, but both were far too deferential. I don't think that's going to be as much an issue this year,
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 07:09:15 PM by colincb »

« Reply #181 on: August 16, 2021, 08:15:44 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Assuming Smart is here for the 2021-22 season (which is not a lock). I'd cut Parker and dump Dunn, whom I like, but is redundant on this roster especially as I'm more comfortable with PP in the rotation. That gets them under the tax.

Upgrade Hauser to the 15 man roster and sign Madar and Begarin to 2-ways. Hauser's defense is better than Parker's (a very low bar) and he shoots better. Begarin needs a lot of work on his shooting and Madar needs a lot of work on his body. I was impressed with both and think Cs would be better served if they stay here. 

Won't bother with the exercise of who starts and minutes allocation, but the Cs will likely play Kantar regularly enough to manage TL and AH minutes. Also, Nesmith shouldn't start. His defense has still been bad in the VSL though it's nice to see him being much more aggressive offensively (PP too) Last season I found myself yelling at the TV to shoot, but both were far too deferential. I don't think that's going to be as much an issue this year,

It’s a lock.

« Reply #182 on: August 21, 2021, 10:47:46 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
After looking at the roster and seeing the extensions feel you kind have to invest in the core and complement the Js to the upmost. For me that's...

Starters
PP, Smart, Brown, Tatum, Horford

Starters that have space and set the tone should help for good starts. PP and Horford allow the Js more freedom to operate. Smart helps out with any tough covers 1-3. The passing and ball movement should be way up as the experience is high.

Main Bench Options
PG, Schro for playmaking and defense.
SG/SF, Nesmith for more shooting/spacing and offball plays.
SG/SF, Richardson for better defense and switchablility.
PF/SF, Parker for flexable big that can still cover wings.
C, TL for a defensive anchor and playmaking against elite bigs .

Unit approach / main 9 man rotation
Like the idea of Schro, Rich, Nesmith, and TL as a unit for PP, Smart, Tatum, and Horford in early substitution. Playmaking, defense and shooting shifts positions and though the skills are at a slightly lower level the skills remain available. This would some what create a small ball team with Brown playing the 4 for a few minutes and most the guys on the floor all able to push the pace and cut. Lineup: Schro, Rich, Nesmith, Brown, TL.

Tatum and Smart come back in for Richardson and Brown. Giving Tatum a more quick strike role off the ball for a few minutes. This should prime Tatum to catch fire with more guys on defense and focused on playing making feeding him. Lineup: Schro, Smart, Nesmith, Tatum, TL.

Next substitute would be Brown, Horford and PP back in for Schro, Nesmith and TL. Returning to the starting lineup. Completes the main 9 man rotation plan.

« Reply #183 on: August 21, 2021, 11:36:13 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
I worry about Rob Williams and Horford together.

I fear that it would be one of the worst offensive pairings in the league at PF-C. Certainly among playoff teams. Rob Williams has little to no scoring ability. He is a garbage man who can pass. Horford has below average shooting, quickness & ball-handling for a PF. He has good but not great passing for PF due to his lack of driving ability. Combined that is uninspiring offensive play.

So how much do you gain defensively? How good is Al Horford in his mid-30s at defending smaller quicker more skilled opponents out at the 3 point line? How much do you gain from the switchability at C of Horford / Rob Williams vs the decline in switchability at PG-SG-SF-PF of Horford / Rob Williams? How much do you gain in rebounding?

In sum, are those gains defensively & rebounding wise more than the loss on offense? Color me a skeptic.

Don’t worry, there will be very few instances where Timelord and Horford share the court. The people suggesting that AL can be the starting PF aren’t familiar with who other teams have starting at PF. The position has evolved. KD is playing PF. Tobias Harris is now a PF, Jermia Grant, John Collins, Rui Hachimura, etc. The list goes on and on... If you think Horford is going to be able to stay with those guys, I will have what you’re having....
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #184 on: August 21, 2021, 07:57:38 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
I worry about Rob Williams and Horford together.

I fear that it would be one of the worst offensive pairings in the league at PF-C. Certainly among playoff teams. Rob Williams has little to no scoring ability. He is a garbage man who can pass. Horford has below average shooting, quickness & ball-handling for a PF. He has good but not great passing for PF due to his lack of driving ability. Combined that is uninspiring offensive play.

So how much do you gain defensively? How good is Al Horford in his mid-30s at defending smaller quicker more skilled opponents out at the 3 point line? How much do you gain from the switchability at C of Horford / Rob Williams vs the decline in switchability at PG-SG-SF-PF of Horford / Rob Williams? How much do you gain in rebounding?

In sum, are those gains defensively & rebounding wise more than the loss on offense? Color me a skeptic.

Don’t worry, there will be very few instances where Timelord and Horford share the court. The people suggesting that AL can be the starting PF aren’t familiar with who other teams have starting at PF. The position has evolved. KD is playing PF. Tobias Harris is now a PF, Jermia Grant, John Collins, Rui Hachimura, etc. The list goes on and on... If you think Horford is going to be able to stay with those guys, I will have what you’re having....

Yeah Horford hasn’t been a PF for a while. If it wasn’t already obvious, his time playing next to Embiid should be.

« Reply #185 on: August 28, 2021, 08:57:18 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Horford (22) / Williams (26)
Tatum (34) / Parker (10) / Horford (4)
Brown (34) / Nesmith (14)
Smart (24) / Richardson (24)
Schroder (24) / Pritchard (20) / Smart (4)

That's how I'd go with the minutes. In total:
Tatum (34)
Brown (34)
Smart (28)
Horford (28)
Timelord (26)
Richardson (24)
Schroder (24)
Pritchard (20)
Nesmith (14)
Parker (10)
And as I mentioned before, the MPG would actually be higher as players will miss games meaning other will play more MPG to replace the injured player.

So looking at PG alone, at the end of the year the actual MPG probably ends up more like Schroder 27, Pritchard 22 and Smart 7-8(at the PG spot alone).
Yeah, exactly. Plus Kanter and Grant will get minutes here and there, especially with the likely Jabari Parker injury
For just the PF spot I see this as possible, on average:
Tatum (34) / Horford (10) / Parker (4) / Nesmith (4)
Grant or Jabari could get many DNPs if Nesmith steps up.  I do see PF as Aaron's more natural position, though he obviously will also get minutes at the SF spot.  I just think there's no way to not pick up the Jabari option to ensure they have enough vet PF depth.  Kanter won't be playing there and Fernando is not ready.

« Reply #186 on: August 28, 2021, 03:06:32 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
A basketball writer named Goodman thinks the Celtics are way worse off this year than than last and Brad has mucked it all up badly .  Not a very hopeful analysis to be sure .

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/video/jeff-goodman-grades-celtics-offseason-c-team-worse-right-now

« Reply #187 on: August 28, 2021, 08:22:33 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
A basketball writer named Goodman thinks the Celtics are way worse off this year than than last and Brad has mucked it all up badly .  Not a very hopeful analysis to be sure .

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/video/jeff-goodman-grades-celtics-offseason-c-team-worse-right-now

Horford, Richardson, Schröder>Kemba, Fournier, Thompson.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #188 on: August 28, 2021, 08:48:50 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I'm not sure if they're greater than them, but I think they're more well-rounded. Shooting is sacrificed somewhat, but we improve our defence and passing.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #189 on: August 28, 2021, 08:57:08 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

I'm not sure if they're greater than them, but I think they're more well-rounded. Shooting is sacrificed somewhat, but we improve our defence and passing.

I think they’re a better fit, for certain.  Two guys who see themselves as first and second options on a team we here they’re the 3rd/4th option, but are defensive liabilities, has a negative impact at both ends of the court, taking shots away from better offensive players and not contributing at the other end.

« Reply #190 on: August 28, 2021, 09:41:29 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

I feel it's a offense league so give me Kemba, Fournier, and TT + pick 16.

« Reply #191 on: August 28, 2021, 10:12:54 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

So give you the 2020-2021 season all over again? I will take a Hard pass on that one.

« Reply #192 on: August 28, 2021, 10:28:15 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

So give you the 2020-2021 season all over again? I will take a Hard pass on that one.
New coach, progress from the Jays, full camps for everyone (Kemba, Fournier, Langford), TT in a contract year, and progress from PP and Nesmith wouldn't be 20-21 again.

« Reply #193 on: August 28, 2021, 11:36:23 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

New coach, progress from the Jays, full camps for everyone (Kemba, Fournier, Langford), TT in a contract year, and progress from PP and Nesmith wouldn't be 20-21 again.

Ime being the new coach wasn’t going to improve Kemba or Fourniers defense and neither is a full training camp. As Celtics2021 mentioned, those guys were just going to take shots away from Jaylen and Jayson while being a liability on defense. There’s a reason Kemba is only making $8M this year and $9M next season. He’s a role Player at this point, not a starter.

Brad clearly wants players that are solid on both ends of the court. With Horford’s passing skill and ability to space the floor as a stretch 5, I expect the C’s to be better offensively as well.

Overall, a starting lineup of: Smart, Richardson, Brown, Tatum, Horford> Smart, Kemba, Brown, Tatum, Thompson
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 12:02:44 AM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #194 on: August 29, 2021, 02:43:58 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I don't know that is such an offensive league that you can sacrifice defence so much.

Also, I don't think paying your 3rd and 4th options that much money would be wise, given they don't complement our stars an excessive amount.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)