Author Topic: Official 2021 NBA Free Agent Signing  (Read 31440 times)

Re: Official 2021 NBA Free Agent Signing
« Reply #255 on: August 06, 2021, 03:00:33 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Wizards resign Raul Neto.

G: Dinwiddie, Neto
G: Beal, KCP, A.Holiday
F: Kuzma, Avijda
F: Hachimura, Bertans
C: T.Bryant, Montrez Harrell

That's a pretty ugly team to me.

Looks like a 20th best team in the league to my eyes. Outside the playoffs but not by much. That is my guess (at this stage of FA).

I like that they have 10-11 legit players. The individual talent levels are not super high but they do have solid depth. I can see them punching above their weight a bit against other teams that have better starting units but fail to cobble together an adequate bench.
Beal is a very talented player, but I really don't like some of the pieces around him. Thomas Bryant may be the worst PnR defender in the NBA. I'd argue he's even worse than Kanter, which is a feat in itself. If you cannot defend the PnR, you are a hopeless defensive team in today's NBA.

Imo, Kuzma provides nothing except for scoring. It seems like he only cares for his own shots. If his shots ain't falling, he's a net negative. Don't see the point in having a selfish choker next to an elite scorer like Beal.

« Reply #256 on: August 06, 2021, 03:34:01 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Wizards resign Raul Neto.

G: Dinwiddie, Neto
G: Beal, KCP, A.Holiday
F: Kuzma, Avijda
F: Hachimura, Bertans
C: T.Bryant, Montrez Harrell

That's a pretty ugly team to me.

Looks like a 20th best team in the league to my eyes. Outside the playoffs but not by much. That is my guess (at this stage of FA).

I like that they have 10-11 legit players. The individual talent levels are not super high but they do have solid depth. I can see them punching above their weight a bit against other teams that have better starting units but fail to cobble together an adequate bench.
Beal is a very talented player, but I really don't like some of the pieces around him. Thomas Bryant may be the worst PnR defender in the NBA. I'd argue he's even worse than Kanter, which is a feat in itself. If you cannot defend the PnR, you are a hopeless defensive team in today's NBA.

Imo, Kuzma provides nothing except for scoring. It seems like he only cares for his own shots. If his shots ain't falling, he's a net negative. Don't see the point in having a selfish choker next to an elite scorer like Beal.
Fully agree. Thomas Bryant's only role should be as a scoring bench piece IMO. Kuzma the same.

That team is going to concede some big numbers
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #257 on: August 06, 2021, 06:39:59 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Free agent Kelly Oubre Jr. has agreed to a two-year, $26M-plus deal with the Charlotte Hornets, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium.
Nice addition but they need a center badly
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #258 on: August 06, 2021, 06:47:11 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Free agent Kelly Oubre Jr. has agreed to a two-year, $26M-plus deal with the Charlotte Hornets, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium.
They traded for Plumlee on draft night, but they definitely need a long-term solution at Center. Wouldn't be against sending them Timelord for their 2022 first and then packaging that pick alongside other firsts for Beal/Siakam/Simmons.

Beal and Siakam might become available at the trade deadline. Simmons is likely available right now for the right price.

« Reply #259 on: August 06, 2021, 06:49:05 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
They traded for Plumlee on draft night, but they definitely need a long-term solution at Center. Wouldn't be against sending them Timelord for their 2022 first and then packaging that pick alongside other firsts for Beal/Siakam/Simmons.
Totally different to my idea of sending Timelord for PJ Washington, but one I would nonetheless do!

« Reply #260 on: August 06, 2021, 07:04:16 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Totally different to my idea of sending Timelord for PJ Washington, but one I would nonetheless do!
Would you do it if our target were Ben Simmons? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you hate the guy. :P

The Timelord-Washington swap is an intriguing idea. It seems like a fair trade for both teams.

Smart - Brown - Tatum - Washington - Horford
6th man: JRich

« Reply #261 on: August 06, 2021, 07:17:41 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Would you do it if our target were Ben Simmons? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you hate the guy. :P

The Timelord-Washington swap is an intriguing idea. It seems like a fair trade for both teams.

Smart - Brown - Tatum - Washington - Horford
6th man: JRich
I'm definitely not a fan of Simmons, I guess a lot depends on a) how Udoka goes and b) how Simmons bounces back. If he could mould his game as a forward in a Draymond role I'd be super on board, I just question his mentality. I think I'm also partially bitter because he never plays for Australia...

It was something I thought of prior to the draft, because I didn't think Charlotte would take a big. Plumlee and Williams splitting 24mpg a night sounds good (it's actually what I wanted here prior to us nabbing Horford!), but I would still be super down adding Washington. Versatile forward locked up on the cheap until 2023. Hope we at least ask the question.

« Reply #262 on: August 06, 2021, 08:01:42 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

I wonder if that is the range they offered Markkanen.

« Reply #263 on: August 06, 2021, 09:30:26 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Markkanen reportedly turned down 3 years, $39 million from the Spurs, so probably that range.

« Reply #264 on: August 06, 2021, 09:57:43 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Willy Hernangomez reups with Hornets for 3yrs. I haven't seen dollar figures. Seems a strange player to give a multi-year contract too.

« Reply #265 on: August 06, 2021, 10:16:19 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Willy Hernangomez reups with Hornets for 3yrs. I haven't seen dollar figures. Seems a strange player to give a multi-year contract too.
Very peculiar. He's all of a sudden a 27 year-old big. Really liked him as a rookie, but feel he was never really invested in after that.

Still, he's a good second string big. Hornets still haven't addressed their big spot long-term

« Reply #266 on: August 06, 2021, 11:01:08 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

Markkanen reportedly turned down 3 years, $39 million from the Spurs, so probably that range.

I hadn't seen the actual numbers in the Spurs offer.  I think this is fair.  If I was the Celtics, I would offer 3 years, say $48M, starting at $15M, send back Thompson and GWilliams and a future pick, but guarantee only the first year and give him an opt out if he wants it (allows flexibility for both).  Sell him that he will have a key role alongside Tatum and Brown on an up and coming team.  Great chance for him to get that "fresh start" he is looking for.

Have Tuukka Rask give him a call and tell him how great Boston is.  Have Brown and Tatum and Smart call him and tell him how much they want him.

« Reply #267 on: August 06, 2021, 11:36:41 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
Source: Andre Iguodala — a three-time Warriors champion and 2015 Finals MVP — agreed to sign a deal to return to Golden State. The Brooklyn Nets were also a finalist.

« Reply #268 on: August 06, 2021, 11:39:30 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Source: Andre Iguodala — a three-time Warriors champion and 2015 Finals MVP — agreed to sign a deal to return to Golden State. The Brooklyn Nets were also a finalist.

Glad he’s going back to the Golden State.

« Reply #269 on: August 06, 2021, 11:40:43 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Beal and Siakam might become available at the trade deadline. Simmons is likely available right now for the right price.
Their long-term solution at centre is getting more pieces like Plumlee for cheap while having Washington play the remaining 5 minutes ala Draymond.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA