Author Topic: Stevens is Already better than Ainge  (Read 9204 times)

Re: Stevens is Already better than Ainge
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2021, 06:54:50 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Ainge was a great GM, until about 2017 when he signed Kyrie but went downhill ever since.  Austin his son should go due to the 2019 draft.
Given he traded Markelle Fultz for Jayson Tatum and Romeo Langford after 2017, made some good finds from atypical avenues (Theis), bought low on guys like Morris, I don't think this is accurate. Feel like you just want to pile on Grant in yet another thread

He definitely lost his edge around this time,  Kyrie was a horrible edition to the team.   I think Kemba was a knee jerk reaction to losing Kyrie, it did not work out.    Thompson did not work out.   Sometimes people decline a bit after a heart attack and Ainge had one in 2019.  It's been a steady downtrend while other teams slowly improved since then. 

The draft is a gamble, we all know it. The 2019 draft is so much about more than Grant, we had Romeo, who the jury is still out and he went full blown hobbit with Carsen Edwards and Waters while  giving away Thybelle.  Since, then we also seen blunders like Desmond Bane.  But Grant was a horrible pick and a fringe NBA player, at this point.   I admit I do not care for Grant, as a player,  but there was a lot more wrong with this draft than Grant.  I feel he was drafted like Yabu to find the next Draymond Green, and neither time did it work out for us.

https://nesn.com/2020/05/awful-2019-draft-class-why-nba-scout-thinks-celtics-rookies-stink/

Boy did he nail that take....

I think Ainge was at one time, one the boldest, GMs who had a great deal of foresight.   He was fearless and daring, but a lot of his latter moves did not work it and it felt like he was treading water.  Sports is a crap shot.   I wager almost any one if we were GM would have tried to get Kyrie if we had a chance.    Hayward getting hurt us as well.   But Ainge took his big swing and the second time it did not work.   His first big swing with KG was brilliant.

He did some salvaging moves,here and there, but I think my treading water analogy is apt,  but look where we are now.   Most teams got better, and we got worse.  I loved Danny as a GM but I can admit that he had his faults.  Brad is making moves for a reset not to add a final piece as we are more than a final piece away. 

I would point this out to you, Ainge still wants to work in some capacity.   One would think the owners here would have afforded him that opportunity but they did not.   I think Ainge was politely, told to step down.   But he is still looking for some front office work so all that stuff about his family and the like was likely bullcrap.

I think Brad's made the most of the hand he's been dealt.

Face it is was a bad hand too, with some good face cards (Tatum and Brown).    Brad knows who was causing issues and were problematic better than anyone.  He is trying to get rid of guys and start over with more tough minded complimentary guys for Tatum and Brown.  The half the team should be in the G League was a big problem last year.

Honestly the whole heart attack thing is the reason he has to be leaving both Brad and ainge looked very overwhelmed this season and were not prepared. The Fournier deal worked but Brad can screw this up by letting him walk they need to be more aware of these players intentions before singing him but I also think Brad could really be in management because he's good with the players and really good at player management you can hear it in his interviews.... so maybe he can bring us some quality free agents/players that wanna play here since he's fairly new to the nba and he's familiar with the young guys

P.s Pritchard was Danny's guy no questions about it

I agree, it does not stand up to scrutiny because Danny still wants to work.   I think Fournier is gone, he wants more than we can pay.  I do think one may not be the same person following a heart attack.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 07:08:20 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2021, 06:55:38 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I will wait a couple of years before I can comment on this topic
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2021, 05:52:50 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2021, 06:47:26 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Danny should've kept BANE!!!

« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2021, 07:03:19 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Ainge built one heckuva roster. It’s bringing in Stevens that may of been his worst move. Man, that guy quit coaching fast. After losing the entire locker room. Just baffling. He gave up, and couldn’t handle today’s player.

Luckily, he’s got two future hall of famers on the roster to build from. Plus a ton of young studs. On the way out, Ainge gift wraps him Tatum, Brown, Williams III, Pritchard, Nesmith, and Madar. Those youngsters beat 3/4ths of the entire league !!!

You can bet Udoka isn’t going to give talents like Pritchard just 18 minutes a game. And that was with Walker hurt all year !!! That’s when I knew Stevens had lost the ship. Well, and playing Semi over Nesmith, etc, etc, etc. Ugh

« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2021, 07:21:41 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123
Stevens so far has been far worse then I even feared he could have been.

He's made one single good move so far, then went and unsure half of it with terrible moves.

I'm hoping I get proven wrong by the time this offseason ends, but it's not looking promising.

« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2021, 07:27:27 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
So in the space of 3 days Brad has gone from being better than Ainge to trash.  ;D

Let's see how good Brad's moves actually are. We're grading Danny's moves in hindsight, it's only fair we do the same to Brad's as well.

I stand by what I said - let's give Brad's decisions time to bear fruit or not before we label him a useless no hoper.  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2021, 07:31:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
So in the space of 3 days Brad has gone from being better than Ainge to trash.  ;D

Let's see how good Brad's moves actually are. We're grading Danny's moves in hindsight, it's only fair we do the same to Brad's as well.

I stand by what I said - let's give Brad's decisions time to bear fruit or not before we label him a useless no hoper.  :angel:

Brad has been able to sign/entice zero marquee role UFAs so far

I wonder if world champion Jeff Teague would be interested to resign...

;D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 08:04:16 PM by Tr1boy »