Author Topic: Stevens is Already better than Ainge  (Read 9158 times)

Stevens is Already better than Ainge
« on: July 30, 2021, 11:26:54 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I'm talking old man Ainge. Danny was stealing money from the celtics owners ever since the heart attack.

Brad is trying hard to beef up this roster, with limited assets. If Brad had been the GM the last three years this team would be in much Better shape.

I'm thrilled with what I'm seeing so far. I have confidence the celtics are moving in the right direction for the first time in a Long time.

Well done Brad. Keep going.

Re: Stevens is Already better than Ainge
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 11:33:05 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
It’s a breath of fresh air for sure

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 12:09:13 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
It’s a breath of fresh air for sure

Tp Shaq Atrack! Let's go celtics!!!

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 12:17:01 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Eh.  Brad has changed the roster.  There’s no guarantee that he’s improved it.  We have to see how the pieces fit.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 12:28:17 AM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
Danny had a long plan in place pretty much since 2012.  He had himself in position to legitimately make big moves multiple times.  Was a viable contender at getting Durant before he signed with the Warriors, signed a couple bigger FA's at the time (Horford, Hayward, Kemba) we can talk about in hindsight those moves not being great, but the reality is the Celtics didn't have stellar Free Agent signings prior to that.  He missed quite a few later draft picks, but nailed his two major draft picks (Tatum and Brown)

I think Ainge did a decent job post 2008... Obviously they fell short of the ultimate goal, but the team had a 3 year window where it was legitimately in the mix to win it.  I think the issue with Ainge was he backed himself into a corner near the end where his options were limited. He had hit a couple homeruns with Tatum and Brown, and was banking on hitting one more homerun with a functional Kyrie Irving, and somehow luring Anthony Davis to the team. That homerun never came.

With that said, I am extremely pleased that a change was made.  Brad has no connection to these moves / long term plans that Danny made.  Brad has the flexibility to chase other potential routes to success that Danny couldn't really do without having to explain what he had been doing the past eight seasons.  I don't know exactly what Brad is doing, but it does somewhat feel better knowing that moves are being made. Brad seems extremely active to start, which is just a complete change from how Danny operated the past few seasons.

I know change isn't automatically going to fix problems, but the fact that things are changing makes me feel better.

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 12:51:11 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Danny got impatient. That Kyrie messed him up. Not only did he sign a knucklehead, that signing cost him his ultimate goal….Anthony Davis.

He also probably should have drafted Giannis. He did travel out to scout him.

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 02:02:43 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Let's see how good Brad's moves actually are. We're grading Danny's moves in hindsight, it's only fair we do the same to Brad's as well.

It looks like a good move though. Kardashian was likely going to be surplus to requirements this year anyway.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 02:18:31 AM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Hayward's broken leg, broke Danny.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2021, 02:22:03 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Maybe

But Brad is making some pretty significant changes

Would have been fun to see him coach the team he is building

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2021, 02:41:27 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

Yeah, when you look back, Kyrie-JB-Hayward-JT-Horford was an absurd amount of talent on one team. Three big ifs around that team:
1. If they had stayed healthy (Hayward and eventually Kyrie)
2. If that team wasn’t derailed by trigger happy egos (Morris/Rozier)
3. If that team had stayed sane (Kyrie) or alternatively, if IT4 had stayed healthy and we didn’t trade for Kyrie

All that said, absolutely trading IT for Kyrie was the right move and I don’t know how Ainge could’ve played it any better, tbh. Maybe trade Kyrie sooner? Idk

- LilRip

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2021, 06:27:12 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Please. Since heart attack:

- Nets Trade
- Horford Signing
- Hayward Signing
- Kyrie Trade
- Trading Down to get the best player in the draft (Tatum)

Ainge was a fantastic GM for his entire tenure with the Celtics, he was derailed by bad injury luck.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2021, 06:30:58 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

That was a bad one, the 2019 draft really put the nails in his coffin.

I think Ainge's problems  were also set into a chain of events started by Kyrie.   Traded, Terry for Kemba, all down hill from that moment.

Stevens is getting some guys with adequate size at their position, I always wondered who was the small ball guy.  I think now we know it was Danny.  His love of small guards has really hurt at various times.   The irony of this is that Ainge played on great teams with size, and arguably the greatest front court of all time.

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2021, 06:48:15 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282

- Nets Trade
- Horford Signing
- Hayward Signing
- Kyrie Trade

Ainge was a fantastic GM for his entire tenure with the Celtics, he was derailed by bad injury luck.

Yes Ainge was a top manager. A little less inspired since 3 years, not only due to injury.

It was time to move on and I wish Brad the best. But I don't get the hype on his choices. Personnaly I think he choose the right way in not resigning long term Fournier and fixing on FA. But most thought it was crap to do that or even non sense. Unloading Kemba OK, still wait to see what Horford has in the motor. If Moses can bring something in a winning team. If no more move the roster is not balanced.

So for now I would givea C+ on Brad first moves. If it makes us get a 3rd superstar sooner or later then I will be more positiv ...

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2021, 07:09:01 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156

- Nets Trade
- Horford Signing
- Hayward Signing
- Kyrie Trade

Yes Ainge was a top manager. A little less inspired since 3 years, not only due to injury.

It was time to move on and I wish Brad the best. But I don't get the hype on his choices. Personnaly I think he choose the right way in not resigning long term Fournier and fixing on FA. But most thought it was crap to do that or even non sense. Unloading Kemba OK, still wait to see what Horford has in the motor. If Moses can bring something in a winning team. If no more move the roster is not balanced.

So for now I would givea C+ on Brad first moves. If it makes us get a 3rd superstar sooner or later then I will be more positiv ...

I totally support Brad so far in the moves he has made, and I suspect Ainge's right-hand man, Mike Zarren, has a lot of influence in these cap-friendly type moves.

With no pipeline of high-end draft picks, and no young high-end prospects on the roster to trade, the only means to acquiring the 3rd star is through free agency. These moves put the Celtics in a position to compete decently right now, and also sign a max free agent as early as next summer.

I give Stevens an A so far
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2021, 07:48:37 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282

- Nets Trade
- Horford Signing
- Hayward Signing
- Kyrie Trade

I totally support Brad so far in the moves he has made, and I suspect Ainge's right-hand man, Mike Zarren, has a lot of influence in these cap-friendly type moves.

With no pipeline of high-end draft picks, and no young high-end prospects on the roster to trade, the only means to acquiring the 3rd star is through free agency. These moves put the Celtics in a position to compete decently right now, and also sign a max free agent as early as next summer.

I give Stevens an A so far

If we are in a transition year, picking Sengun or Jones could have been good prospects for year 3 or 4... We have 0 certitude at C for 2023.

OK Walker and Thompson turned in bad signing but what did he bring to the team for long term? Space to go to next FA. Then we will judge his first choices. Next year roster don t seem enough balanced or talented to come back at the top. One of the 2 next summer will be determinant for our faith.  I trust Brad fir this.