Author Topic: Woj: Celtics Trade Tristan Thompson To Atlanta For Kris Dunn, Fernando + A Pick  (Read 32296 times)

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
Not loving this trade. Thompson was a starting caliber big and he was one of the few players that played with any toughness in the playoffs. Timelord is injury prone Moses Brown is unproven. Dunn has been an overall bust and Fernando is a project player as well. So as of now the C’s have Parker, Dunn, Moses Brown, Fernando, Edwards, Grant, Waters and Tacko all of who are project players. That’s not good.

Kris Dunn was the first player left all the All-Defense team a year ago.  Sure, he hasn’t lived up to being a top 5 pick, but at $5 million for next year, he’s not a waste of space or salary.

Fernando is literally salary filler and won’t be on the roster.  Get mad about that if you like or not, your choice.

Offline bricone29

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
Logjam at Center. Maybe in terms of bodies but so many question marks. We may have had to trade Thompson for other reasons but he had the best chance of getting the most minutes due to health and play.

Horford- old and will miss games due to nagging injuries as well.

Williams - who should be getting starter minutes and should be the starter but won't because he's already injury prone. Can't see that changing as he gets older.

Brown- The Celtics are going to regret not keeping the 1st round pick and taking the guy from the Turkish league. If he gets any significant minutes, fans will see the holes.

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Where does that leave Pritchard?

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Hollinger reporting that this creates  a new 9.25 million TPE for the Celtics:

https://twitter.com/johnhollinger/status/1421229635401134083?s=21

Great, another TPE that likely won't ever get used.
We've used two in the last 6 or so months, have we not? The Hayward one (partially) and the Kanter one.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think Dunn can play alongside Pritchard in those two-guard rotations we like. Pritchard's shooting and movement will complement him well
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I think Dunn can play alongside Pritchard in those two-guard rotations we like. Pritchard's shooting and movement will complement him well
I’m not convinced of this. This there is another move coming and I think it will involve Smart. Personally think they replaced one defensive ace for a cheaper version of a defensive ace. Think the rumors with Ball are real.

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Not loving this trade. Thompson was a starting caliber big and he was one of the few players that played with any toughness in the playoffs. Timelord is injury prone Moses Brown is unproven. Dunn has been an overall bust and Fernando is a project player as well. So as of now the C’s have Parker, Dunn, Moses Brown, Fernando, Edwards, Grant, Waters and Tacko all of who are project players. That’s not good.

Kris Dunn was the first player left all the All-Defense team a year ago.  Sure, he hasn’t lived up to being a top 5 pick, but at $5 million for next year, he’s not a waste of space or salary.

Fernando is literally salary filler and won’t be on the roster.  Get mad about that if you like or not, your choice.

So does that mean he’s going to be the first PG off the bench and now Pritchard will be the 3rd stringer? Who said anything about being mad? Just said I didn’t love it. Team desperately needs a good backup PF.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Delon Wright can’t seem to find a permanent home
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
https://twitter.com/adamhimmelsbach/status/1421254232347381762?s=21

Interesting. Dunn may not be here long per Himmelsbach.

Wonder what Brad has up his sleeves.

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34

Not sure if it's on my end, but I can't see that tweet. Deleted?

Nevermind, I see it now. Had to refresh a few times.

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

Thank God. Hopefully Dunn and that 2nd are heading to OKC

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

yeah it seems like he is so similar to Smart that it is kinda redundant, but I guess you can't have too many great def players when considering how bad we were on def last year.

wonder if the Ball rumors have some legs?

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51

Something like half those players won't be on the final roster and Dunn isn't a project, he's just a health question mark. If he's healthy he's a high-level defensive guard already.

So does that mean he’s going to be the first PG off the bench and now Pritchard will be the 3rd stringer? Who said anything about being mad? Just said I didn’t love it. Team desperately needs a good backup PF.

Dunn, if he sticks around and is healthy, will be a designated bench stopper and whether he or Pritchard play more is going to depend largely on matchups and how well Pritchard shoots. My guess is Pritchard plays a good deal more but Dunn is still a regular rotation guy because he can't be bumhunted on D.

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Dunn just needs some home cooking--

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Smart next!

Keep on trading Brad, u ain’t made a bad move yet