Poll

When all is said and done, where do you think Giannis is going to rank among PFs of all time?

0 (0%)
5 (83.3%)
1 (16.7%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
outside of the top 6
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Poll: Where do you rank Giannis among PFs all time?  (Read 10036 times)

Poll: Where do you rank Giannis among PFs all time?
« on: July 21, 2021, 07:38:04 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Is Giannis the best 2-way player of all time? I mean, MJ was amazing, but bigs have a larger defensive impact than guards. A few other names come to mind. For instance, Dream wasn't half bad either. :P More versatile low post scorer, but Giannis is hands down a better facilitator and ball handler.

Here are some more names: Wilt, KG, Duncan, Kareem, David Robinson, prime Bill Walton, LeBron, Kawhi, Pippen, Hondo, Gary Payton, Walt Frazier

Bonus questions:
- If Giannis retired today, where would you rank him among PFs of all time?
- When all is said and done, where do you think he's going to rank among PFs of all time?

Personally speaking, I already have him at #2, behind only Duncan. Don't think he'll ever reach #1 though. I'm super high on Duncan. I rank him above all his contemporaries but LeBron. I also believe Duncan is underrated, cause nobody really mentions him in the GOAT discussion. The guy won 5 rings playing for a small market team. This is unreal! Sure, he never averaged more than 25.5 points per game, but that wasn't his game. If you ask me, Duncan is the modern-day Bill Russell: the ultimate team player, the ultimate winner.

In any case, huge props to Giannis! Amazing 2-way player! One of the best of all time!

edit: The consensus is that Giannis can't be regarded as the best 2-way player of all time. Don't think the results were going to change, hence I made a new poll. Hopefully, it will provoke an interesting discussion. Here are the final results of the previous poll.

Is Giannis the best 2-way player of all time?
No: 37 votes (84.1%)
Undecided: 4 votes (9.1%)
Yes: 3 votes (6.8%)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 07:26:27 AM by Jvalin »

Re: Poll: Is Giannis the best 2-way player of all time?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 08:44:08 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
What he's done over the last few years (and in particular the last two or three) is put himself firmly in the conversation.

I think we'll have to wait a few more seasons to see where he ultimately shakes out. He could absolutely go down as the best.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 08:44:48 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I will nit pic and say you left off Bill Russell from the list of best 2-way players but yes, Giannis is now in the conversation for all time all NBA as the PF.  I would always cheat a little and have Bill Russell as my first team all time PF but as I said, Giannis will be in the conversation henceforth.

The single best PF of all time is a tough one.  Malone, Barkley, Garnett (is he any more of a PF vs C than Russell?), Nowitzki, McHale, and now Giannis (I am sure there are some others I am missing).  It is a tough one.  You could put LeBron in as a PF as well.  That is why I pick Russell with Kareem at C for my all time, first team all NBA.

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 08:46:24 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
I will nit pic and say you left off Bill Russell from the list of best 2-way players but yes, Giannis is now in the conversation for all time all NBA as the PF.  I would always cheat a little and have Bill Russell as my first team all time PF but as I said, Giannis will be in the conversation henceforth.

The single best PF of all time is a tough one.  Malone, Barkley, Garnett (is he any more of a PF vs C than Russell?), Nowitzki, McHale, and now Giannis (I am sure there are some others I am missing).  It is a tough one.  You could put LeBron in as a PF as well.  That is why I pick Russell with Kareem at C for my all time, first team all NBA.

I take Duncan over any of the PFs listed.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 09:10:53 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
For me the best 2 way player is just another way of saying the best player, and in my opinion still Jordan. 

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 09:13:19 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
No, he still has a ways to go to catch up with the all time greats.

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 09:28:03 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

I take Duncan over any of the PFs listed.

I left him off as I see him as even more of a center vs. PF than even Garnett or Bill Russell but on accomplishment, yes, Duncan is in the mix.  Not sure I would have him first though.  If Giannis continues along the path he appears to be on, he will make the discussion easier because he will be the best PF, 2-way or any way.  He is not there yet though, just on his way.

And I really liked that he called out the super teams.  I agree that him winning in MIL says more than Lebron/Miami, Durant/GSW, and so on.  LeBron in CLE was different but for Giannis to do it in MIL is a big accomplishment.

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 10:29:45 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
For me the best 2 way player is just another way of saying the best player, and in my opinion still Jordan.
This is it for me.

Jordan was the greatest offensive force in the modern era AND a 9 time 1st team All-Defense player AND 1 time Defensive Player of the Year.

How soon we forget.

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 11:15:09 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
This is it for me.

Jordan was the greatest offensive force in the modern era AND a 9 time 1st team All-Defense player AND 1 time Defensive Player of the Year.

How soon we forget.

Mic dropped.

Giannis has work to do to catch guys like lebron, and then we can talk about his airness
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 11:21:37 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Giannis has work to do to catch guys like lebron, and then we can talk about his airness

Catching to LeBron will be a lot easier than catching up to Jordan.  Giannis is tough, played hurt and has not thrown his team mates under the bus, or bolted to get help to win a title.   So in a lot of ways he is a good pace to beat LeBron down the road whose biggest legacy will be stacking teams, and losing finals.

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 11:22:59 AM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
i think its his size and shot blocking combined w his handle and perimter game that makes him unique.

i dont think its an all time greatest discussion yet

but it is a unique combo of skills thats fun to watch

gotta give him and middleton credit now. champs
good for them.
it's nice to see a team win the old fashioned way - not just collecting all star pampered divas

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 11:42:47 AM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
Hard to compare a 26 year old to players with 10 to 15 years experience.   But he surely is on his way to sitting at the same table as others.   And now can add Finals MVP to his accolades. 
Diggles

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 11:50:50 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Catching to LeBron will be a lot easier than catching up to Jordan.  Giannis is tough, played hurt and has not thrown his team mates under the bus, or bolted to get help to win a title.   So in a lot of ways he is a good pace to beat LeBron down the road whose biggest legacy will be stacking teams, and losing finals.

Lebron has made it to the Finals ten times, though, and has won four championships.  That's a pretty substantial gap right now.  Giannis is extraordinarily more likable in a lot of ways, but as a player Lebron has the resume.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2021, 11:57:30 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
No, but the fact that he's even entered the conversation at age 26 is just a testament of how much of a transcendent player he's already become.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2021, 12:09:13 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Some interesting comparative data on age at first championship:

Kobe            21
Duncan        23
Wade           24
Curry           27
Lebron         27
Jordan         28
Durant         28

Giannis        26

Kobe and Duncan came into winning situations so it was not as much about their singular efforts.  Wade had Shaq for his first title so there is context to consider but Giannis at age 26 is a great accomplishment.