Author Topic: NBA player Xenophobia?  (Read 4310 times)

Re: NBA player Xenophobia?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2021, 07:09:17 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
100% accurate. I’ve been thinking about this for a couple of days now. Limited coverage of “the block”. Nothing at all outside of the night fo the game. Very disappointing by the US media.

Last season, it was Jimmy Butler this and Jimmy Butler that. Literally was non stop with Jimmy Butler coverage to the point they were giving him free advertising for his stupid coffee.

What Giannis is doing right now is historic and the media simply doesn’t care. If he was American, ESPN would be all over it. Can you imagine if this was Lebron? We’d be hearing about for the next 8 months daily.

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2021, 07:35:25 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
100% accurate. I’ve been thinking about this for a couple of days now. Limited coverage of “the block”. Nothing at all outside of the night fo the game. Very disappointing by the US media.

Last season, it was Jimmy Butler this and Jimmy Butler that. Literally was non stop with Jimmy Butler coverage to the point they were giving him free advertising for his stupid coffee.

What Giannis is doing right now is historic and the media simply doesn’t care. If he was American, ESPN would be all over it. Can you imagine if this was Lebron? We’d be hearing about for the next 8 months daily.

There was definitely discussions on ESPN and on the ESPN website about whether Giannis block was better than Lebrons block.

Jimmy Butler was definitely getting a lot of run last year and it was over the top.  But really I just think this is about a player who has a very bland personality that plays on a team in a small market.

This lack of pub is the exact reason why everyone thinks the NBA fixes games so that big market teams with its mainstream players are making the finals
Greg

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2021, 07:43:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Regarding the lack of regular media exposure from the Mickey Mouse company(and others) for Giannis, I would ask, how has Milwaukee been as a draw on nationally televised games? Is it much lower than super teams in major markets? Is it a lot lower? That could be a reason for the lack of hype. His lack of exposure via being an advertising spokesperson could also mean the casual fan to non-fan wouldn't know who the heck they were talking about. That doesn't help the situation, that's for sure.

Regarding the lack of adoration or exposure on social media, Giannis has a very small presence on social media(as compared to other sports superstars). I don't believe he has major personal business ventures that would almost demand him to use social media for exposure, though maybe he has some philanthropic ventures he should be on social media for. Also, does Giannis have as many NBA personal connections, as others. Lots of NBA guys grew up knowing each other since AAU basketball, so other stars just may have a wider base of NBA friends that would laud him on social media.

I am not so sure there is any nationalism/xenophobia involved here. I just think it's a numbers/familiarity/bottom line situation making it look that way. It's easy to blame divisive emotions and intentions, but I think there are definitely other factors at work here.

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2021, 07:54:18 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
Regarding the lack of regular media exposure from the Mickey Mouse company(and others) for Giannis, I would ask, how has Milwaukee been as a draw on nationally televised games? Is it much lower than super teams in major markets? Is it a lot lower? That could be a reason for the lack of hype. His lack of exposure via being an advertising spokesperson could also mean the casual fan to non-fan wouldn't know who the heck they were talking about. That doesn't help the situation, that's for sure.

Regarding the lack of adoration or exposure on social media, Giannis has a very small presence on social media(as compared to other sports superstars). I don't believe he has major personal business ventures that would almost demand him to use social media for exposure, though maybe he has some philanthropic ventures he should be on social media for. Also, does Giannis have as many NBA personal connections, as others. Lots of NBA guys grew up knowing each other since AAU basketball, so other stars just may have a wider base of NBA friends that would laud him on social media.

I am not so sure there is any nationalism/xenophobia involved here. I just think it's a numbers/familiarity/bottom line situation making it look that way. It's easy to blame divisive emotions and intentions, but I think there are definitely other factors at work here.

This.
Greg

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2021, 08:11:15 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Absolutely - in terms of media not fellow NBAers.

It goes back to marketing and that you as a consumer tend to relate easier / quicker towards people who share similar characteristics as you.

They can be nationality (US vs others for NBA), skin colour (white, black), physical size (tiny guards like Muggsy Bogues), be about what city you came from (caring more about guys who grew up in Boston) and other things. Stuff you may have in common with a star that helps you connect quicker with them. Some are physical, some are about childhood / background, some are race or ethnicity, some are religious, some are similar tastes in hobbies / interests such as they like the same music as I like  .... all that stuff helps fans connect quicker to the guy they want to market.

Just think about how much the NBA is dying for a white American superstar that they can sell. A new Larry Bird. Or how big Jeremy Lin became in such a short period of time because they had an Asian guy they could sell here in the US but more importantly in China. All that stuff matters.

The NBA is an American sport. Everything in the NBA revolves around America. The only foreign national who had enough of a market in a different country to challenge was Yao Ming and even then he was marketed there rather than here in the US.

Foreign players in the NBA get the short end of the stick in marketing & exposure and always have done.

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2021, 08:14:08 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I think there is clearly an anti-US media and player sentiment. It is likely due to multiple factors, but it is clearly there.

If Jokic and Giannis were US players, the media hype would be off the charts. As others said, it was so for Butler and he didn't even have an exceptional season last year. Giannis is having not just a historic season, but a historic career. And Jokic was totally dominant this season. The Nuggets would have had a legit shot at a title if Murray didn't tear his ACL.

Whether part of it is that some US players grew up together and new each other since AAU , that  is still nationalism. The media however did not grow up together with the current NBA players. They are still biased against foreign born NBA players. It hurts the NBA marketing and the NBA overall long term. Part of the growing pains of the globalization of the game though.

On a related note, it's interesting how fast the rest of the world is catching up to the US in basketball, but the US never catches up to the rest of the world in soccer. It speaks to the global appeal of basketball as a sport. It's so rapidly growing in popularity and so easy to pick up from a young age. You can play most anywhere anytime alone or with a small group of people. The US not catching up in soccer is no knock on US athletes, its a knock on the popularity of soccer, and basketball is on track to catch up with soccer as the world's most popular sport.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 08:20:02 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2021, 08:14:09 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

Perhaps you're right, although recent records have Giannis' jersey as No. 2 in NBA's most popular jersey rankings and Milwaukee Bucks are No. 4 in NBA's most popular team merchandise. I do believe there is some bias issues, how much of it is xenophobia is up for interpretation.

https://www.nba.com/news/giannis-jumps-to-no-2-in-nbas-most-popular-jersey-ranking
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 08:27:56 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: NBA player racism?
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2021, 08:15:24 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Something that I recently noticed and I am curious if is this is something or nothing.

Giannis Antetokounmpo has been legendary during these NBA Finals, the two way highlights of his exploits have been amazing...but none of his NBA peers have been showing any type of love on social media or through the media. If LeBron or Durant had been putting on this display, their NBA contemporaries would be losing their minds and showering them with praise.

I do wonder had Giannis had been American, would his NBA brethren be acting warmer to a two time MVP, defensive player of the year and future Hall of Famer?

Maybe you’re reading too much into it.  Why is everything always automatically racism?

Giannis doesn’t really seem to have the social agenda that Lebron and Durant have, and that other NBAers want to have.  So maybe he just doesn’t have the built up rapport with everyone else in the league that would result in the behavior that you’re looking for.

Everything of course isn't automatically racism.  As this wasn't.  The OP not only didn't mention racism, it was clear his message wasn't about racism at all.

He literally titled the thread ‘NBA player Racism?’  Also read his reply to mine. 

What he was talking about isn’t actually racism, but that’s part of what I was talking about.  Everything today is just called racism even when it’s actually not even about race.

I have to admit I didn't see the reference to racism -- by the time I saw the thread it was renamed.  So I apologize for my false statement.  That said, your statement about "everything" is hyperbole and I don't buy it or agree. 

Re: NBA player racism?
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2021, 08:52:18 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
Something that I recently noticed and I am curious if is this is something or nothing.

Giannis Antetokounmpo has been legendary during these NBA Finals, the two way highlights of his exploits have been amazing...but none of his NBA peers have been showing any type of love on social media or through the media. If LeBron or Durant had been putting on this display, their NBA contemporaries would be losing their minds and showering them with praise.

I do wonder had Giannis had been American, would his NBA brethren be acting warmer to a two time MVP, defensive player of the year and future Hall of Famer?

Maybe you’re reading too much into it.  Why is everything always automatically racism?

Giannis doesn’t really seem to have the social agenda that Lebron and Durant have, and that other NBAers want to have.  So maybe he just doesn’t have the built up rapport with everyone else in the league that would result in the behavior that you’re looking for.

Everything of course isn't automatically racism.  As this wasn't.  The OP not only didn't mention racism, it was clear his message wasn't about racism at all.

He literally titled the thread ‘NBA player Racism?’  Also read his reply to mine. 

What he was talking about isn’t actually racism, but that’s part of what I was talking about.  Everything today is just called racism even when it’s actually not even about race.

I have to admit I didn't see the reference to racism -- by the time I saw the thread it was renamed.  So I apologize for my false statement.  That said, your statement about "everything" is hyperbole and I don't buy it or agree.

Fair enough. 
Greg

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2021, 10:23:35 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I think there is clearly an anti-US media and player sentiment. It is likely due to multiple factors, but it is clearly there.

If Jokic and Giannis were US players, the media hype would be off the charts. As others said, it was so for Butler and he didn't even have an exceptional season last year. Giannis is having not just a historic season, but a historic career. And Jokic was totally dominant this season. The Nuggets would have had a legit shot at a title if Murray didn't tear his ACL.

Whether part of it is that some US players grew up together and new each other since AAU , that  is still nationalism. The media however did not grow up together with the current NBA players. They are still biased against foreign born NBA players. It hurts the NBA marketing and the NBA overall long term. Part of the growing pains of the globalization of the game though.

On a related note, it's interesting how fast the rest of the world is catching up to the US in basketball, but the US never catches up to the rest of the world in soccer. It speaks to the global appeal of basketball as a sport. It's so rapidly growing in popularity and so easy to pick up from a young age. You can play most anywhere anytime alone or with a small group of people. The US not catching up in soccer is no knock on US athletes, its a knock on the popularity of soccer, and basketball is on track to catch up with soccer as the world's most popular sport.

lol….basketball is not catching up with soccer. You cannot play basketball most anywhere. You need hoops to play basketball and you need a ball. You can play soccer or some version of it anywhere on the ground. You don’t even need a ball.

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2021, 10:33:40 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'm not sure what shows you guys are watching but this series is all over the shows at ESPN and FS1 that I watch or listen to regularly.  And the majority of that exposure is about just how good and dominant Giannis is (a lot of comparisons to early 00's Shaq).  On Thursday and Friday last week (when it was 2-2), several shows had people talking about how Giannis should win the Finals MVP even if the Bucks lost the series because of just how dominant he had been.  The last time anyone talked about a player from the losing team winning the Finals MVP was Lebron in 2015. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2021, 12:52:38 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don’t follow player interactions on social media.  How is Devin Booker embraced?  Khris Middleton?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2021, 04:23:27 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I don’t follow player interactions on social media.  How is Devin Booker embraced?  Khris Middleton?
Devin Booker is salivated over because of his connection to Kobe. Khris Middleton is fairly ignored, even though he's having a really good playoffs - pretty sure he's up there in the all-time rankings for game tying or go-ahead FGs made in the clutch, in one playoff run
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2021, 11:19:57 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Giannis us better than LeBron at present and is taking over the game.  The only people that deny this are LeBron holdouts.

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2021, 11:32:42 AM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
The entire idea of The Olympics is based on Nationalism.

It may be the way the Olympics plays out, but I'm pretty sure that the modern idea of the Olympics is not based on Nationalism.  A google of Olympic values, principles, or mission provides nothing that resembles Nationalism.   Again... the Olympics may end up inadvertently promoting what it doesn't intend to promote, but it's basis is not about national pride to the exclusion of the interest of other nations. It's supposed to be about gathering in support of excellence, respect, promotion of international sport, and other nice things.

Never said being proud of where you came from means hating other Countries.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.