Author Topic: Would Lebron ever force a trade to another city to get more titles?  (Read 5576 times)

Re: Would Lebron ever force a trade to another city to get more titles?
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2021, 07:11:23 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Lebron will retire with the Lakers (or at least his last actual season - he might sign a 1 day contract to retire as a Cav) unless he has an opportunity to play with his son.  If his son actually makes the league and Lebron is still playing, I think he'd want to share the court with him. 

There is no better place in the league to attract top talent than the Lakers.  If Davis isn't good enough, the Lakers will just trade him for someone that is.

Fifth greatest Laker.

...  kek

I mean kareem, wilt, Shaq, kobe, west, magic, mikan, worthy. He passes which of these guys in 2.5 seasons?
Elgin Baylor gets no respect.
He does but he didn't win a title.  If Lebron can get the Lakers another title and stick around a few more seasons, I don't think it is crazy to think he may end up in their top 5.  He isn't passing Magic, Kareem, Kobe, or Shaq, but could pass everyone else.

Except West.  14-time All-Star, great executive, the literal logo
West has 1 title though
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2021, 08:28:32 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
This thread seemed to morph from will LeBron force a trade away from the Lakers to where does he fall in terms of all time Lakers players.  I don't think LeBron will play for any other team.  I have nothing to quote or otherwise back that up, it is just my opinion.  His NBA legacy is not going to be improved by jumping to another team.  Whether he wins again in LA or somewhere else, what is the difference.  He can attract who is wants to LA.  He may not win again but LA is probably still his best shot.

As to his Lakers legacy, I doubt LeBron cares all that much about that.  LeBron will be compared to the greatest players of all time, not the greatest Lakers.  To compare LeBron to say Kobe in terms of Lakers legacy is like comparing Kevin Garnett to Kevin McHale or something.  And even that, LeBron has played for (and won championships on) 3 teams, I don't think any other player has done that.  And then you look at someone like Worthy and he was the 3rd best player on title teams.  Is he really comparable to LeBron just because he played more seasons with the Lakers?

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2021, 08:41:02 AM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
Lebron wants CP3 on the Lakers.  I would not be shocked to see a CP3 sign and trade, 3 year, 100 million dollar contract, and CP3 may go for this if he doesn't the championship this year with Phoenix.

The Lakers will give up multiple first rounders and pick swaps to make this happen.  Lebron cares not for first round picks...

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2021, 08:49:06 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Lebron wants CP3 on the Lakers.  I would not be shocked to see a CP3 sign and trade, 3 year, 100 million dollar contract, and CP3 may go for this if he doesn't the championship this year with Phoenix.

The Lakers will give up multiple first rounders and pick swaps to make this happen.  Lebron cares not for first round picks...
The Lakers don't really have picks or swaps to give out. They depleted them down to almost nothing in obtaining Anthony Davis. The ones they have, they currently have to own and can't trade them due to the Septien Rule.

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2021, 09:18:38 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I recognize the basketball talents of LeBron James. He's one of a handful of players in NBA history to have the ability to orchestrate a victory while on court.   

But the truth is LeBron would sell his mother for a chance to enhance his personal legacy, and if that mean't playing on the moon... he's all in.

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2021, 10:23:39 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

The Lakers don't really have picks or swaps to give out. They depleted them down to almost nothing in obtaining Anthony Davis. The ones they have, they currently have to own and can't trade them due to the Septien Rule.
If Paul opts in on the condition he is traded to the Lakers (like he did for the Houston trade), I could see a scenario where Schroder (sign and trade), Kuzma, and Horton-Tucker has some appeal for the Suns.   

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2021, 11:17:00 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He might after he realizes that his movie career and Space Jame will max out early and I predict a modest flop.

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2021, 11:28:11 AM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16

If Paul opts in on the condition he is traded to the Lakers (like he did for the Houston trade), I could see a scenario where Schroder (sign and trade), Kuzma, and Horton-Tucker has some appeal for the Suns.

I hear you re the picks but unexpected things happen in the NBA when a superstar is involved.

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2021, 12:27:21 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I don’t like guys who does this..I wasn’t a Reggie Miller fan but he stay loyal to Indiana & had a chance to play for the 2008 Celtics but turned it down cause said it wouldn’t feel right
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2021, 05:51:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Lebron will retire with the Lakers (or at least his last actual season - he might sign a 1 day contract to retire as a Cav) unless he has an opportunity to play with his son.  If his son actually makes the league and Lebron is still playing, I think he'd want to share the court with him. 

There is no better place in the league to attract top talent than the Lakers.  If Davis isn't good enough, the Lakers will just trade him for someone that is.

Fifth greatest Laker.

...  kek

I mean kareem, wilt, Shaq, kobe, west, magic, mikan, worthy. He passes which of these guys in 2.5 seasons?
He does but he didn't win a title.  If Lebron can get the Lakers another title and stick around a few more seasons, I don't think it is crazy to think he may end up in their top 5.  He isn't passing Magic, Kareem, Kobe, or Shaq, but could pass everyone else.

West has 1 title though
But has well over 1000 games played as a Laker. LeBron has played 18% of the number of games in a Laker guernsey that West did
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2021, 10:22:32 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Fifth greatest Laker.

...  kek

West has 1 title though
But has well over 1000 games played as a Laker. LeBron has played 18% of the number of games in a Laker guernsey that West did
Sure, but my premise was he wins another title and sticks around a few more seasons.  Not that I think he will pass Shaq, but Shaq only played 514 games as a Laker in his 8 seasons.  Wilt only was a Laker for 5 seasons and 339 games.  Mikan only had 439 games in his 7 seasons.

Lebron starts getting in that 400 games played range, with at least 2 titles it isn't that crazy to think he could end up as the 5th greatest Laker.  I mean 3 more years in the 70 games played range, and he will likely be in the top 10 in points and assists (he is 4th in ppg and 2nd in apg right now).  Add to that the 2 titles and it isn't a clear cut case against him.

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2021, 12:56:45 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Fifth greatest Laker.

...  kek

West has 1 title though
Sure, but my premise was he wins another title and sticks around a few more seasons.  Not that I think he will pass Shaq, but Shaq only played 514 games as a Laker in his 8 seasons.  Wilt only was a Laker for 5 seasons and 339 games.  Mikan only had 439 games in his 7 seasons.

Lebron starts getting in that 400 games played range, with at least 2 titles it isn't that crazy to think he could end up as the 5th greatest Laker.  I mean 3 more years in the 70 games played range, and he will likely be in the top 10 in points and assists (he is 4th in ppg and 2nd in apg right now).  Add to that the 2 titles and it isn't a clear cut case against him.

Mo he played 45 games. In the last full season 55. How is he adding on 3 more years of 70 games each? I am as impressed with anyone as how he takes care of his body and has done some great stuff at an age a lot of people are retired. But even an iron man like Karl Malone broke down. We have already seen him break down. I don't really understand acting like he has 3 years left after what we have seen.

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2021, 08:59:45 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Fifth greatest Laker.

...  kek

West has 1 title though

Mo he played 45 games. In the last full season 55. How is he adding on 3 more years of 70 games each? I am as impressed with anyone as how he takes care of his body and has done some great stuff at an age a lot of people are retired. But even an iron man like Karl Malone broke down. We have already seen him break down. I don't really understand acting like he has 3 years left after what we have seen.
that is a fair question, though he played 67 of 72 the year before.  He is still pretty widely regarded as a top 3 player in the world (I personally have him 3rd behind Giannis and Durant).  I don't think he is walking away anytime soon and certainly not before he passes Kareem (which won't be next year).   I expect him to fully recover from his current injury without any long term effects just given the nature of it.  Now he is obviously old with a lot of miles on his legs and has now had a serious injury in 2 of the last 3 seasons, but that doesn't mean he is going to suffer another serious injury either.  Kareem played full seasons all the way to the end of his career at age 41.  At age 39, the Mailman played 81 games at 36.2 mpg (he only played 42 games his final season at age 40).  Dirk and Duncan played a lot of games at the tail end of their careers also.  Obviously statistically they weren't as good, and Lebron won't be either, but playing a bunch of games, certainly isn't out of question.  And I'd honestly be a bit surprised if next year he doesn't get basically a full season in just given how much rest he is getting this off season.  We saw what the rest the last time his season was cut short did for him i.e. 67 of 72 games and they won the title.