Author Topic: Would Lebron ever force a trade to another city to get more titles?  (Read 5581 times)

Re: Would Lebron ever force a trade to another city to get more titles?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2021, 09:12:46 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I think his#1 priority is to play with his son. 

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2021, 09:18:55 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

His son is not really profiling as a one and done player right now. Not even a given he makes the nba. Believe he is ranked between 30-40 in his class at the moment.

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2021, 09:39:14 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

His son is not really profiling as a one and done player right now. Not even a given he makes the nba. Believe he is ranked between 30-40 in his class at the moment.

I'm guessing the Lakers would have no problem drafting him anyway to make Lebron happy. The marketing opportunities alone would make it worthwhile.

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2021, 10:30:38 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

I'm guessing the Lakers would have no problem drafting him anyway to make Lebron happy. The marketing opportunities alone would make it worthwhile.

Yea I thought about this angle of it too. And it is possible. We have arguably seen some of this with Giannis and one of his brothers (i think one of his brothers is a legit nba player, not sure on the other). But Lebron turns 37 early next season. You are talking about a team trying to do this when Lebron is I guess 40 or 41? I don't think Lebron will be a legit all-star player at 40. Jordan made it at 39 but probably didn't deserve to. At a certain point it kind of becomes a sideshow and I don't think Lebron would want to do that (or the lakers).

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2021, 10:34:32 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

So does the team that drafts Bronny get a better chance of signing Lebron?
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2021, 10:40:41 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Lebron has started to slow down with some injuries. Not sure how much he has left
Exactly my point. Father time wins all the time and there are only so many playoff runs left for Lebron to win his two titles. And unlike Moranis, I am not sure LA wins another with Lebron. It will be near impossible to fit another max level player on the team with Davis and Lebron alone making up $75 million and $82 million the next two years. Besides Davis they have absolutely no assets to trade for a top level guy.

Now that doesn't mean I think Lebron will seek to leave LA, family and business ties and all, but watching him watch that game, it made me think it was at least a possibility.
They'd trade Davis if they had to.  Lebron was there because Paul is his closest friend in the league (now that Wade has retired) and it was a big game and Lebron had nothing else to do (he had already taken his family vacation and had already done his Space Jam promo work).  Lebron also just loves basketball.  You can tell by his tweets he watches games all the time (even during the season).  He just loves the game.

That doesn't mean he wouldn't leave if an opportunity presented itself, but aside from his own business goals (both current and future), his family really wanted to live in LA, which is a big reason why he moved there.  It is also the Lakers, as hard as it is for us Celtics fans to acknowledge, the Lakers are an easy selling point for other players.  They can quite simply attract players that other teams cannot. 

Who is also correct that Lebron and AD are good enough to win a title or two over the next couple of seasons.  They did it last year and frankly almost certainly would have been playing the Bucks had AD not gotten hurt this year.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2021, 10:50:12 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

That seems to be correct. I think his real pro potential will be on how big he gets (both height and weight).  He is a pretty skinny 6'2" (about 165 pounds) after just finishing his freshman year.  If he can grow another few inches or bulk up and keep his athleticism, his pro potential will increase significantly.  Given just how physically imposing his father is, I do think he has a good chance to really hit the physical level he would need to make the pros because he clearly has the ball skills and talent to.  He just needs the size.

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2021, 10:57:19 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
Can't wait till that roided up fraud retires. The particulars don't matter. Just want him gone. I might even start watching non-Celtics games again.

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2021, 11:19:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Lebron will retire with the Lakers (or at least his last actual season - he might sign a 1 day contract to retire as a Cav) unless he has an opportunity to play with his son.  If his son actually makes the league and Lebron is still playing, I think he'd want to share the court with him. 

There is no better place in the league to attract top talent than the Lakers.  If Davis isn't good enough, the Lakers will just trade him for someone that is.

Fifth greatest Laker.

...  kek

I mean kareem, wilt, Shaq, kobe, west, magic, mikan, worthy. He passes which of these guys in 2.5 seasons?
Elgin Baylor gets no respect.

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2021, 11:24:27 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Lebron will retire with the Lakers (or at least his last actual season - he might sign a 1 day contract to retire as a Cav) unless he has an opportunity to play with his son.  If his son actually makes the league and Lebron is still playing, I think he'd want to share the court with him. 

There is no better place in the league to attract top talent than the Lakers.  If Davis isn't good enough, the Lakers will just trade him for someone that is.

Fifth greatest Laker.

...  kek

I mean kareem, wilt, Shaq, kobe, west, magic, mikan, worthy. He passes which of these guys in 2.5 seasons?
He does but he didn't win a title.  If Lebron can get the Lakers another title and stick around a few more seasons, I don't think it is crazy to think he may end up in their top 5.  He isn't passing Magic, Kareem, Kobe, or Shaq, but could pass everyone else.

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2021, 11:54:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Fifth greatest Laker.

...  kek

He does but he didn't win a title.  If Lebron can get the Lakers another title and stick around a few more seasons, I don't think it is crazy to think he may end up in their top 5.  He isn't passing Magic, Kareem, Kobe, or Shaq, but could pass everyone else.
I don't see it.

Good counter argument example is KG in Boston. Came here in his later career. Won a title. Hung around for 4-5 years. Played for a franchise that won 16 other titles that has some lifelong Hall of Famers, MVPs and NBA innovators as alumni. The similarities are striking.

KG is not a top 5 Celtic. Neither will Lebron be a top 5 Laker without another title, at the very least.

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2021, 12:06:16 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Fifth greatest Laker.

...  kek

Except West.  14-time All-Star, great executive, the literal logo

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2021, 02:35:09 AM »

Kiorrik

Fifth greatest Laker.

...  kek

I'd say he's passed all none of them.

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2021, 04:21:48 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Fifth greatest Laker.

...  kek

Except West.  14-time All-Star, great executive, the literal logo
Yeah, the only one I can see him passing is Worthy, really. Mikan and Baylor are close - it's hard to value those guys nowadays
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2021, 07:08:46 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Fifth greatest Laker.

...  kek

I don't see it.

Good counter argument example is KG in Boston. Came here in his later career. Won a title. Hung around for 4-5 years. Played for a franchise that won 16 other titles that has some lifelong Hall of Famers, MVPs and NBA innovators as alumni. The similarities are striking.

KG is not a top 5 Celtic. Neither will Lebron be a top 5 Laker without another title, at the very least.
I said another title. He obviously needs another one for it to be a question