Author Topic: What’s next ?  (Read 17495 times)

Re: What’s next ?
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2021, 10:47:59 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Noon today is the date that things can start to happen right?  Isn't that when we should hear what has become of the SAC-ATL-BOS trade?  That was reported as a done deal, and then it wasn't.  Since then, ATL has signed Collins and we have traded Moses Brown.  Not sure if that changes anything.  If it is still just Thompson for Dunn and Fernando, that is not so exciting.
Would really be quite disappointing if it just ends up TT for Dunn & Fernando. I want fireworks
What type of player are you hoping for?

I'm hoping that Sacramento adds Bagley to the deal, other than Kyle Anderson there aren't many players I want who would match salaries on expiring contracts. Since Brad isn't signing players for longer than one year the Celtics are limited in who they can take back. I know a move like Bagley would push the C's into the tax but it's not like they will be paying the tax next year.

To me, I would be much more excited to get Bagley and his one year deal + qualifying offer options.  Young player with upside, position of need, perfect fit alongside Tatum and Brown, matches the timeline, plenty of cap management options.  What is not to like?  He has been right at 14.5 pts / 7.5 rebs his whole career and is only 22.  That is way better than anyone we have had at PF in quite a while.

I also like Markkanen for many of the same reasons.  Markkanen has done more so far in his career; has a 19 pts/9 rebs season as a starter in 2018-19 but has gone down from there since.  He is still young (24) and has plenty of upside potential (yes, the "P" word).  Maybe not as much of an athlete as Bagley but has better shooting numbers (40% from 3 last season).

Those are my "wish list" guys.

Full disclosure, I lived in Helsinki for a year a while back and am still partial to Finns, thus my fascination with Lauri Markkanen.

« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2021, 10:49:54 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I have no problems trading Horford , I do remember him leaving for Philly. He was brought back for his contract. not for old times sake. Someday he wants to retire here I have no problem. If we could get Bagley and Hield I’m all on board
I'd want to save Horford's contract for Beal. I think the Celtics push hard for an in-season Beal trade so they don't need to completely clear the books to bring him in.

Bagley can be traded for Thompson because Dunn would be absorbed into the Theis trade exception so I'm hoping that happens. I'm a big Hield fan but his contract would make it much harder to go after Beal.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2021, 11:22:37 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I have no problems trading Horford , I do remember him leaving for Philly. He was brought back for his contract. not for old times sake. Someday he wants to retire here I have no problem. If we could get Bagley and Hield I’m all on board
I'd want to save Horford's contract for Beal. I think the Celtics push hard for an in-season Beal trade so they don't need to completely clear the books to bring him in.

Bagley can be traded for Thompson because Dunn would be absorbed into the Theis trade exception so I'm hoping that happens. I'm a big Hield fan but his contract would make it much harder to go after Beal.
this.  I think they'll tread water until near the trade deadline to make a deal for Beal so that they'll be in the position of being able to negotiate an extension with him (hopefully discussed and agreed to prior to the deal) to have him on the roster for next season without risking another team swooping in to get him at the deadline or as a FA.

Moranis had a pretty reasonable deal proposal in another thread.  I don't recall the details but we weren't giving up a ridiculous amount of assets. 

« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2021, 11:31:06 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

If we could get Bagley and Heild for Horford, why would those contracts be any less useful in getting Beal?  Heild has more years, I get that but he is actually a useful player who would be good beside Dinwiddie.  Bagley is expiring but with the added benefit of being able to control him if you decide to offer a QO.

I think Bagley and Heild for Horford would be great.  We can't make everything we do about getting Beal anyway.

« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2021, 04:42:23 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
what's next? maybe keeping smart is part of the plan....

https://twitter.com/McDNBA/status/1423732460085407744?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1423732460085407744%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

Ryan McDonough
@McDNBA
·
54m
The Celtics appear to be offering Smart the largest possible extension they can give him at the moment, per
@Murf56

Here are some more details on the largest extension Smart could sign:

Starts in 2022-23

4 years, $77m total

$17.2m, $18.5m, $20m, $21.3m annual salaries
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2021, 04:43:40 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
what's next? maybe keeping smart is part of the plan....

https://twitter.com/McDNBA/status/1423732460085407744?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1423732460085407744%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

Ryan McDonough
@McDNBA
·
54m
The Celtics appear to be offering Smart the largest possible extension they can give him at the moment, per
@Murf56

Here are some more details on the largest extension Smart could sign:

Starts in 2022-23

4 years, $77m total

$17.2m, $18.5m, $20m, $21.3m annual salaries
No way I give him 4 years
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2021, 05:11:19 PM »

Offline testy

• NCE
  • Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
Unless they have a trade in place for Smart. This does not fit the bridge to Beal

« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2021, 10:44:25 AM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
What’s next?

Celtics trade Jaylen Brown for Ben Simmons
Celtics sign Bradley Beal

Roster

Ben Simmons
Marcus Smart
Bradley Beal
Jayson Tatum
Robert Williams III

« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2021, 11:04:28 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
What’s next?

Celtics trade Jaylen Brown for Ben Simmons
Celtics sign Bradley Beal

Roster

Ben Simmons
Marcus Smart
Bradley Beal
Jayson Tatum
Robert Williams III
Three thoughts on this:

1. No way would I trade Brown for Simmons.
2. Simmons ain't a guard. Not sure why people complain about his shooting, yet they continue to think he's a PG. Only reason he's forced to play on the ball at Philly is cause he's sharing the floor with a dominant low-post scorer in Embiid. If we trade for him, I bet we'd use him at PF alongside Horford. That said, imo he'd be at his best as a Point Center.
3. Don't see the point in pairing Simmons with a rim runner. Timelord and Simmons would be a terrible fit next to each other.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 11:11:49 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2021, 11:13:06 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
Trade Smart, Romeo & Grant for Hield..sign Schroeder

Al Horford
Enes Katner
TimeLord
Bruno Fernando
Jayson Tatum
Jaylen Brown
Buddy Hield
Josh Richardson
Aaron Nesmith
Dennis Schroeder
Payton Pritchard
Kris Dunn

« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2021, 11:38:11 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1227
https://mobile.twitter.com/FCHWPO/status/1424324052357840903

Adding Beal is a welcome move, but for now we’re rolling with JT and JB. I wanna see what these guys could do now that they’re the main men of this team. This could very well be a “bridge year”, but I wouldn’t be shocked if this duo comes up with a surprise or two come playoff time.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 11:43:45 AM by radiohead »

« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2021, 04:37:47 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Al Horford
Enes Katner
TimeLord
Bruno Fernando
Jayson Tatum
Jaylen Brown
Buddy Hield
Josh Richardson
Aaron Nesmith
Dennis Schroeder
Payton Pritchard
Kris Dunn

Man, that would be awesome. Schroder and Hield in the backcourt alongside Jaylen and Tatum. That is a load of offensive firepower. Dribble penetration from Schroder. Elite perimeter scoring from Hield. With Jaylen and Tatum leading the show. Horford there to facilitate the offense.

G: Schroder, Pritchard, Dunn
G: Hield, Josh Richardson
F: Jaylen, Nesmith
F: Tatum, (Nesmith)
C: Horford, Rob Williams, Kanter

That team is a darkhorse title contender.

« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2021, 06:45:26 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Al Horford
Enes Katner
TimeLord
Bruno Fernando
Jayson Tatum
Jaylen Brown
Buddy Hield
Josh Richardson
Aaron Nesmith
Dennis Schroeder
Payton Pritchard
Kris Dunn

Man, that would be awesome. Schroder and Hield in the backcourt alongside Jaylen and Tatum. That is a load of offensive firepower. Dribble penetration from Schroder. Elite perimeter scoring from Hield. With Jaylen and Tatum leading the show. Horford there to facilitate the offense.

G: Schroder, Pritchard, Dunn
G: Hield, Josh Richardson
F: Jaylen, Nesmith
F: Tatum, (Nesmith)
C: Horford, Rob Williams, Kanter

That team is a darkhorse title contender.
That team would be really hard to defend. Sign a veteran forward for the bench (Millsap?) and that team can go toe-to-toe with most
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2021, 05:34:26 PM »

Offline testy

• NCE
  • Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
Anyone know what the hang up is on the Smart contract signing is ?

« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2021, 05:35:07 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
Anyone know what the hang up is on the Smart contract signing is ?
Hope it’s not happening