Author Topic: The Legend of Nurkic  (Read 1507 times)

The Legend of Nurkic
« on: July 17, 2021, 06:54:09 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
The story of how Jusuf Nurkic was discovered, is one of the most amazing stories I have heard.

Jusuf Nurkic was discovered because of his dad,  Hariz Nurkic, who is a police officer in Bosnia. He is 7 feet tall and weighs in at over 400 pounds. Bosnian sports agent Enes Trnovcevic, read a story about Hariz Nurkic and was intreagued:

Jusuf Nurkic’s dad is a policeman in Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina. One day a Bosnian sports agent Enes Trnovcevic was reading a newspaper where he read: “Bosnian policeman, Hariz Nurkic has beaten 14 people in a fight.” He knew what to do instantly! Next day he went to Tuzla and met with Nurkic’s father. The only thing he asked him was: “Do you have a son?” Jusuf Nurkic was at that time a 14 years old boy, Enes Trnovcevic took him to Slovenia and gave him an opportunity he accepted.

Back then, Nurkic has never played basketball before, he did not know the least thing about the game, and couldn’t shoot either. But Nurkic was curious about the game now, so he got a coach who taught him all the basics, like how to shoot. As you all know, Nurkic really ended up becoming an NBA player. Sometimes all it needs is a little luck, and your dad beating up 14 people at once.

Hariz Nurkic at his son's NBA game:

« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 12:35:47 AM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: The Legend of Nurkic
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 10:50:26 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
That is awesome.  Thanks for sharing.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 12:23:09 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
That is awesome.  Thanks for sharing.

No problem Moranis.

Apparently Jusuf Nurkic's brother (Kenan) could be an even bigger physical specimen, as he's already wearing size 16 shoes at age 13.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 07:31:35 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
About 30 years ago ,  we bought  our first home in the country .  My wife had a patient who was proud of her son who was a deputy sheriff in the rural county .  A local thug thief was robbing mail boxes …yes federal offense.  My mailbox was robbed with our pay check too.  A group of kids witnessed this happen in broad daylight while we were at work.  They told us and the deputy sheriff who came to investigate .  When I answered the door ,  this policeman filled the entire door way . He was a good 7 ft plus and 350-400 pounds The kids told him what they saw . He calmly walked down to the bad guys home below our house . Knocked and went in ….I’m like whoa ….he came walking back out holding the guy by the throat with one hand carrying him like a rag doll.  The deputy carries him a long way behind the home, put him down and watched the man on his hands and knees go from place to place in the fields below our home digging up all the pouches of mail he d stolen from people.  The patient told my wife proudly, yup that’s my little boy , he always gets the bad guy.    ;D

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 09:09:21 AM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I had heard the 14 people in a fight thing in passing before. My first thought was "yeah ok." Then I saw the picture of his dad sitting in the stands in a suit. My tune changed pretty quick haha.
#JKJB

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 09:21:23 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The thing you have to remember is that you are not going to be fighting 14 all at once as it is impossible for that many guys to surround you at once.  A normal person does not understand this because of lack of experience.  If you keep moving to keep them in a line they will get in each other's way.  You can also get your back to wall to minimize behind getting behind you.   Another trick is to use the terrain or building to limit their access to you.

A guy that big has tremendous reach and if he can keep the people in front of him, he can neutralize many before they are a threat.  He is also going to be able to one shot guys when he punches them with that kind of size and strength especially if he is striking with intent to harm and not posturing like most do in a fight.  The downside of being that big, is that people resort to weapons right away off the bat.

I do not recommend trying this out, as it is still difficult, but remember that if you're ever in a bad situation.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 09:32:57 AM by Celtics4ever »