Author Topic: Details uncovered in Chauncey Billups’ 1997 sexual assault case while he played  (Read 5554 times)

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
The Blazers stepped in it by hiring Billups. There were plenty of other great candidates available without the headaches that come with such history of allegations.

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
This probably hasn't been a public story in 20 years. Why was it brought up again? It's not like Chauncey hasn't been in the public spotlight since his playing days ended.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Glad we have Idoka....

NBA players were raping a lot of women back in those days...or maybe it's a money grab, who knows? we weren't there.

The injuries seem a bit extensive and the reports / disclosures pretty immediate for it to be a “money grab”, but I guess you never know.

Not to make light... but two people can consent. Maybe they are into a whole slew of things. Dominatrix.... The next day male or female could do a rape kit and pass it

Imo she should have seen this through in court and get justice (if truth). But money won over

I guess there are some women out there who like extremely rough, abusive triple-way sex.  But I'm not sure that those women go to police and get rape kits done.

What about their preferences would make them less likely to go to police and get rape kits done?

Women who don't get raped are less likely to go to police and get rape kits done.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Glad we have Idoka....

NBA players were raping a lot of women back in those days...or maybe it's a money grab, who knows? we weren't there.

The injuries seem a bit extensive and the reports / disclosures pretty immediate for it to be a “money grab”, but I guess you never know.

Not to make light... but two people can consent. Maybe they are into a whole slew of things. Dominatrix.... The next day male or female could do a rape kit and pass it

Imo she should have seen this through in court and get justice (if truth). But money won over

I guess there are some women out there who like extremely rough, abusive triple-way sex.  But I'm not sure that those women go to police and get rape kits done.

we don't know these people

I'm not going to trust what these peoples plans are

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Glad we have Idoka....

Do you trust Chauncey, Mercer, Irvin, etc.?  They're the ones who have been proven to have lied to police, after all.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Glad we have Idoka....

Do you trust Chauncey, Mercer, Irvin, etc.?  They're the ones who have been proven to have lied to police, after all.

No I don't. 

If it was proven that they lied...she should have definitely seen it through in court

why let them off the hook?

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Glad we have Idoka....

No I don't. 

If it was proven that they lied...she should have definitely seen it through in court

why let them off the hook?

From a page back:
Second, she went to the police. It's then on the cops to investigate and the DA to take it to a grand jury. This may shock you, but rape cases haven't always been handled the way the should have historically. Even nowadays, complaints get dropped for a multitude of reasons - lack of DNA, victim blaming, etc - and victims often don't get a chance to tell their stories in court, even when they really want to.

There's been no indication that she was unwilling to cooperate in the investigation or criminal proceedings. She likely went the civil court route because the burden of proof is lower.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
My gut feeling is Scott Brooks is going to find himself as the interim head coach in Portland this season.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I remember reading about this case a couple of years ago, during the height of the Me Too movement, and wondering why ESPN (Billups' employer at the time) was not doing anything about this, given the climate.

I feel the report sounds pretty credible. But I also feel that Billups seems to have resuscitated his life over the last two decades.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
This probably hasn't been a public story in 20 years. Why was it brought up again? It's not like Chauncey hasn't been in the public spotlight since his playing days ended.

because this story was never truly reckoned with even back when it happened.  Billups et al got a free pass.

You can't be forgiven for something if you've never taken responsibility for it or even addressed it in any serious way.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I remember reading about this case a couple of years ago, during the height of the Me Too movement, and wondering why ESPN (Billups' employer at the time) was not doing anything about this, given the climate.

I feel the report sounds pretty credible. But I also feel that Billups seems to have resuscitated his life over the last two decades.

Me Too is so selective in terms of how it affects people.

Exhibit #1, Mike Tyson.  The guy is a convicted rapist.  And yet, he makes all kinds of TV appearances and even has multiple endorsement deals.  He's just a personable former boxer with some goofy tattoos, apparently. 

Then there's the political class.  Bill Clinton was very probably a rapist.  There are plenty of accusations against Trump.  Both had connections to pedophile and sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein, with Clinton having used his plane many times (sometimes without secret service present).  Hillary seems to have, at minimum, silenced rape survivors.

In sports, we've got Kobe Bryant, who is apparently the face of the league.  Ben Roethlisberger.   And a ton that I had forgotten about, until seeing this article:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/us-sport/nba/kobe-bryant-rape-case-sexual-assault-allegation-cristiano-ronaldo-metoo-a9305836.html

baseball player Roberto Osuna, footballer Cristiano Ronaldo, basketball coach Luke Walton and American football players Ezekiel Elliott, Jameis Winston, Ben Roethlisberger and Tyreek Hill. All are among the sports stars who have had stomach-churning allegations levelled against them but have skirted major repercussions — from their leagues, the teams, law enforcement or, largely, in the court of public opinion

Not listed was the Derek Rose case, where he was accused of rape.  The jurors on the case posed for photos with the Defendant, despite some fairly serious allegations.  The judge cracked jokes about him playing in Knicks vs. Lakers games.

Even in the Me Too era, there's just not a lot of investment in bringing creeps to justice.  It's like we as a society have decided that Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby (well, until his conviction was overturned) were the sacrificial lambs, and for everyone else it can return to "boys will be boys". 

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
As far as what the OP posted, I don't see anything that I didn't find in a 5 minute google search before the Blazers announced the Billups hiring other than confirmation that the accuser wasn't contacted for their investigation which I speculated was the case. 

As I said before, the Blazers should have contacted not only the accuser but also the nurse and detective involved.  As for the NDA the accuser signed, the Blazers should have asked Billups to waive it specifically for their investigation.  If Billups refused to do so, you obviously do not hire him. 

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 210
The Blazers stepped in it by hiring Billups. There were plenty of other great candidates available without the headaches that come with such history of allegations.
They may have stepped in it with the hire but they stomped in it by saying "trust us, we looked into it..." but not REALLY looking into it.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
I'm guess I'm curious about what a lot of people are curious about: What, exactly, do the Blazers mean when they say they did an "investigation"?

It sounds like they did very little but don't want to sound like they're not taking things seriously for appearances. It doesn't seem like anyone actually cares and this is all just talk that's going to peter out, Billups will be the head coach, and people will move onto the next thing.

Unfortunately.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I was always curious exactly why Walker ended up in a lawsuit with Billups over the incident; seems peculiar. Anyone have more than speculation about that?