Author Topic: Details uncovered in Chauncey Billups’ 1997 sexual assault case while he played  (Read 5518 times)

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
From WEEI, I wonder if Chauncey's job is still safe, how thorough were the Blazers?

mods feel free to move/merge this to where appropriate

https://twitter.com/WEEI/status/1415378347178172417?s=20

As Chauncey Billups emerged as a top NBA coaching candidate, reports about his largely forgotten 1997 sexual assault case in Waltham began to resurface. Until now, details about the alleged incident have been scarce, given the scant media coverage it received at the time.

But that is no longer the case, thanks to Diana Moskovitz of Defector Media, who recently unearthed 200 public documents about the episode. The specifics of the lawsuit a woman filed against Billups and then-Celtics teammates Ron Mercer and Antoine Walker, and the arguments they used to dismiss the suit, are spelled out in detail.

The Blazers tried to quell further questions about the alleged assault when they introduced Billups as their new coach last month. But with this information, they may not be able to do that for long. (The Blazers didn't contact Billups' accuser during their hasty investigation, according to her attorney.)

The story begins on Nov. 9, 1997, when the woman, who is referred to as “Jane Doe” in the suit, went to a comedy club with Walker, Billups, Mercer and Walker’s friend and roommate, Michael Irvin (not the football player). After leaving the club, Doe rode back with Billups to Walker’s home in Waltham, where she says she was sexually assaulted.

That night, Doe says she lost consciousness and woke up in Irvin’s bedroom, where used condoms and wrappers were strewn all over the floor. She says she barged out of the room and immediately called a friend, telling them “something bad” had happened to her.

The following day, Doe said in her complaint she was vomiting and felt pain in “her back, rectum, legs, neck and throat.” She couldn’t drink or eat, and was unable to stop trembling. Later that day, she was examined at Boston Medical Center.

“She said in her amended complaint that the exam found bruises on her body as well as injuries to her throat, cervix, and rectum,” Moskovitz writes. “The injuries to her back ‘were consistent with the plaintiff having been dragged across a rug.’ Per her complaint, she was diagnosed with shock.”

A rape kit was done, and that same day, the woman went to police. Her complaint also contains what Walker, Billups, Mercer and Irvin told authorities. Mercer and Billups both claimed she had voluntary oral sex with them at Mercer’s house, and Irvin also admitted to having “sexual relations” with Doe that evening. He said the act happened at Mercer’s house as well.

The woman went on to sue Billups, Mercer and Irvin for causing physical and emotional distress. She also sued Walker for failing to protect her in his home, which he contested, saying it was not his responsibility to protect her. (Walker was removed from the suit, but an appeals court vacated the decision. He was eventually added back.)

The case continued to play out over the span of two years, and notably, Billups and Mercer changed their stories. In an answer filed in March 1999, Billups said he was never at Walker’s home and denied an assault had occurred. Instead, he said Doe initiated oral sex with him in his car.

Mercer also denied being at Walker’s home on the night of the alleged assault. He recalled having consensual oral sex with Doe on a different day that November in Billups’ home.

Originally, the two men said they had oral sex with the woman at Mercer’s house that night.

The following January, a judge ordered most documents pertaining to the case would be made public, despite objections from the three basketball players. But as Moskovitz points out, the coverage was uncritical.

The Boston Globe’s headline reads as follows: “Celtics’ Walker: Accuser Sought Money.”

The Boston Herald didn’t do much better. “Walker claims false charges cost him endorsements,” read its headline.

Suffice to say, the media climate has changed quite a bit over the last 21 years. Women who accuse famous athletes of sexual misconduct are rightfully taken much more seriously.

Billups has been able to avoid scrutiny for 21 years. But that is changing. Give the entire story a read. It is worth your while.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It’s unreal how lax coverage was back then.  Credible charges of rape by two pro players, in the home of a third player, and there was barely a blip on the media radar.

Cell phones and social media might have changed things a bit, but I doubt it.  Lots of rapists get a free pass. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
The Blazers tried to quell further questions about the alleged assault when they introduced Billups as their new coach last month. But with this information, they may not be able to do that for long. (The Blazers didn't contact Billups' accuser during their hasty investigation, according to her attorney.)

I hope the Blazers have a good crisis management team but based on how they've handled this so far, I doubt it.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The Blazers already know all this

They cant approach the "victim"... because it was settled

You cant settle. And then come out with a book.

Again I'm not siding with anybody. Because it wasnt explored further. Like victim history (if any similar cases),  defendents history etc.

Blazers are not going to fire Billups this early and just weather the storm as it comes.

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Glad we have Idoka....

NBA players were raping a lot of women back in those days...or maybe it's a money grab, who knows? we weren't there.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Who is “they”?  The Blazers aren’t bound by any settlement.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Glad we have Idoka....

NBA players were raping a lot of women back in those days...or maybe it's a money grab, who knows? we weren't there.

The injuries seem a bit extensive and the reports / disclosures pretty immediate for it to be a “money grab”, but I guess you never know. 

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Who is “they”?  The Blazers aren’t bound by any settlement.

But she is

Blazers hounding her for info...would be careless

Its settled. 

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Glad we have Idoka....

The injuries seem a bit extensive and the reports / disclosures pretty immediate for it to be a “money grab”, but I guess you never know.

Not to make light... but two people can consent. Maybe they are into a whole slew of things. Dominatrix.... The next day male or female could do a rape kit and pass it

Imo she should have seen this through in court and get justice (if truth). But money won over

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Thank god the Celtics went in a different direction with the head coach. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Glad we have Idoka....

Not to make light... but two people can consent. Maybe they are into a whole slew of things. Dominatrix.... The next day male or female could do a rape kit and pass it

Imo she should have seen this through in court and get justice (if truth). But money won over

I feel like you're assuming a lot of things.

First, she didn't write a book. Not sure where you got that from. She hasn't come out publicly as far as I'm aware.

Second, she went to the police. It's then on the cops to investigate and the DA to take it to a grand jury. This may shock you, but rape cases haven't always been handled the way the should have historically. Even nowadays, complaints get dropped for a multitude of reasons - lack of DNA, victim blaming, etc - and victims often don't get a chance to tell their stories in court, even when they really want to.

There's been no indication that she was unwilling to cooperate in the investigation or criminal proceedings. She likely went the civil court route because the burden of proof is lower.

I also think you need to look into what a rape kit actually is. It's not a pass or fail device.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Glad we have Idoka....

I guess there are some women out there who like extremely rough, abusive triple-way sex.  But I'm not sure that those women go to police and get rape kits done.

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I guess my response would be shouldn't be necessary to investigate anything. 

This is now about whether the known public record of this should prevent him from being hired for a high profile job with a professional sports team.

Regardless of what we do not know that might make this even worse, his admitted behavior over the course of that night and the facts of how it played that are known and uncontested should be sufficient in a civil society to make him unsuitable for such a job.

Maybe some see the uncertainty over what actually occurred as being the difference between whether he should be hired for such a position or not. I don't.

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Glad we have Idoka....

I guess there are some women out there who like extremely rough, abusive triple-way sex.  But I'm not sure that those women go to police and get rape kits done.

What about their preferences would make them less likely to go to police and get rape kits done?

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Glad we have Idoka....

I feel like you're assuming a lot of things.

First, she didn't write a book. Not sure where you got that from. She hasn't come out publicly as far as I'm aware.

Second, she went to the police. It's then on the cops to investigate and the DA to take it to a grand jury. This may shock you, but rape cases haven't always been handled the way the should have historically. Even nowadays, complaints get dropped for a multitude of reasons - lack of DNA, victim blaming, etc - and victims often don't get a chance to tell their stories in court, even when they really want to.

There's been no indication that she was unwilling to cooperate in the investigation or criminal proceedings. She likely went the civil court route because the burden of proof is lower.

I also think you need to look into what a rape kit actually is. It's not a pass or fail device.

I never said she wrote a book about it. It was just an situational example relating to settlements