11 (55%)
Buddy Hield
2 (10%)
Draymond Green and James Wiseman
4 (20%)
Sexton
3 (15%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Poll: Philly should trade Simmons for...  (Read 8714 times)

Re: Poll: Philly should trade Simmons for...
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2021, 12:51:12 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
https://sports.yahoo.com/exploring-the-nba-trade-market-for-available-philadelphia-76-ers-star-ben-simmons-190905066.html?ncid=twitter_yahoosport_dw14wrbb51g

The proposed trades in the article

Sacramento - Hield, Haliburton, 9
Brooklyn - Irving
Toronto - Siakam, 22 top 10 protected 1st
Chicago - LaVine, Satoransky
Indiana - Brogdon, Warren, 13
New Orleans - Ingram
Not even Sacramento is dumb enough to do that deal.

Simmons alongside Zion is something I would try and avoid if I were New Orleans. However, Simmons alongside Vucevic in Chicago would be really tough to deal with. Would also make my guy Thad Young expendable.
I don't know.  Hield has been on the block for awhile, and while Haliburton had a nice rookie year, he probably isn't a long term fit with Fox and lots of promising rookies don't end up progressing.  9 is obviously a top 10 pick, but it does seem to fall outside of the really elite players.  I think Simmons would be great in the Holmes role there.  Surrounded by shooters with Fox also able to take on some ball handling.
How is Simmons a better fit alongside Fox? Haliburton is an elite shooter, unlike either of those two. They would also be without their two best shooters in Hield and Haliburton
I said in the Holmes role, not the Haliburton role.  Holmes doesn't shoot any 3's either.  Obviously they'd lose some shooting, so they'd need to fill that in, but I think Simmons in the role Holmes plays would just supercharge their fast break.
I know what you said, I wasn't saying Simmons would be replacing Haliburton. My point was they don't have anybody who can replace that shooting. Trading those two would mean Sacramento loses 6.1 made threes a game! Delon Wright cannot fill that gap. Plus the 9th pick (given Haliburton was #12 last year I don't think Sacramento would undervalue it) isn't some meagre throw-in.

I just don't see the appeal for either team really.
I think they could find shooting.  It is always available, though Curry could probably go back to Sacto if they added some more money themselves (Wright or Bagley). 

I'm not sure either team would do it either, but I do think the value is in range.
Value-wise I agree, I just don't like the fit for either. It seems like a step back for Philly in terms of making a run at the title, and it seems to clog the paint for Sacramento

Step back for Philly???

A 6'5" pg who is a great playmaker and knock down three point shooter which is exactly what they need.

Plus another knock down three point shooter in hield. Plus the #9 pick in a loaded draft?

Can't ask for much more than that for a guy like Simmons who refuses to improve his stroke.
I would have thought that this Finals would show the value of having 2-3 guys who can score 20+ when the going gets tough. This would leave Philly with just Embiid who can do so, as Tobias Harris only has one career series of scoring 20+. Philly should flip Simmons for someone who can do that, like Irving, Siakam or even Brogdon + assets. Hield can flirt with that due to his elite three point shooting, but his lack of scoring besides that isnt ideal either.

They should not do so for a 21 year-old, Hield and a pick when theoretically they could probably get more.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2021, 10:36:55 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
https://sports.yahoo.com/exploring-the-nba-trade-market-for-available-philadelphia-76-ers-star-ben-simmons-190905066.html?ncid=twitter_yahoosport_dw14wrbb51g

The proposed trades in the article

Sacramento - Hield, Haliburton, 9
Brooklyn - Irving
Toronto - Siakam, 22 top 10 protected 1st
Chicago - LaVine, Satoransky
Indiana - Brogdon, Warren, 13
New Orleans - Ingram
Not even Sacramento is dumb enough to do that deal.

Simmons alongside Zion is something I would try and avoid if I were New Orleans. However, Simmons alongside Vucevic in Chicago would be really tough to deal with. Would also make my guy Thad Young expendable.
I don't know.  Hield has been on the block for awhile, and while Haliburton had a nice rookie year, he probably isn't a long term fit with Fox and lots of promising rookies don't end up progressing.  9 is obviously a top 10 pick, but it does seem to fall outside of the really elite players.  I think Simmons would be great in the Holmes role there.  Surrounded by shooters with Fox also able to take on some ball handling.
How is Simmons a better fit alongside Fox? Haliburton is an elite shooter, unlike either of those two. They would also be without their two best shooters in Hield and Haliburton
I said in the Holmes role, not the Haliburton role.  Holmes doesn't shoot any 3's either.  Obviously they'd lose some shooting, so they'd need to fill that in, but I think Simmons in the role Holmes plays would just supercharge their fast break.
I know what you said, I wasn't saying Simmons would be replacing Haliburton. My point was they don't have anybody who can replace that shooting. Trading those two would mean Sacramento loses 6.1 made threes a game! Delon Wright cannot fill that gap. Plus the 9th pick (given Haliburton was #12 last year I don't think Sacramento would undervalue it) isn't some meagre throw-in.

I just don't see the appeal for either team really.
I think they could find shooting.  It is always available, though Curry could probably go back to Sacto if they added some more money themselves (Wright or Bagley). 

I'm not sure either team would do it either, but I do think the value is in range.
Value-wise I agree, I just don't like the fit for either. It seems like a step back for Philly in terms of making a run at the title, and it seems to clog the paint for Sacramento

Step back for Philly???

A 6'5" pg who is a great playmaker and knock down three point shooter which is exactly what they need.

Plus another knock down three point shooter in hield. Plus the #9 pick in a loaded draft?

Can't ask for much more than that for a guy like Simmons who refuses to improve his stroke.
I would have thought that this Finals would show the value of having 2-3 guys who can score 20+ when the going gets tough. This would leave Philly with just Embiid who can do so, as Tobias Harris only has one career series of scoring 20+. Philly should flip Simmons for someone who can do that, like Irving, Siakam or even Brogdon + assets. Hield can flirt with that due to his elite three point shooting, but his lack of scoring besides that isnt ideal either.

They should not do so for a 21 year-old, Hield and a pick when theoretically they could probably get more.

They turned down Brogdon plus #11 pick so that's off the table.

Toronto would never trade him for Siakim. Irving isn't going anywhere so long as they have KD.

I'm surprised you don't think it's makes them a better team because it does. Especially if they nail. That draft pick in a very good class.

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2021, 10:42:47 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Embiid is awesome, but when Seth Curry is your 2nd leading scorer it isn't a surprise that you lose a 7 game series.

As I've been saying for awhile, Simmons isn't the biggest Sixers problem, Harris is.  So if they trade Simmons, they need someone that is an upgrade on Harris as the #2 option.  That to me is the problem with the Sacramento trade that was proposed.  Hield, Haliburton, and 9 doesn't upgrade Harris as none of those guys are good enough as a 2nd scorer to really fix Philly's biggest problem. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2021, 03:21:06 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Embiid is awesome, but when Seth Curry is your 2nd leading scorer it isn't a surprise that you lose a 7 game series.

As I've been saying for awhile, Simmons isn't the biggest Sixers problem, Harris is.  So if they trade Simmons, they need someone that is an upgrade on Harris as the #2 option.  That to me is the problem with the Sacramento trade that was proposed.  Hield, Haliburton, and 9 doesn't upgrade Harris as none of those guys are good enough as a 2nd scorer to really fix Philly's biggest problem.

Basically 76ers in trouble

« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2021, 04:18:36 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

I might be nuts but I think Haliburton is going to make a leap to make him comparable to Simmons.  I watched a few of their games this year and he is a player

« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2021, 06:58:30 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

This is what I was trying to get at with why I don't think Philly would approach the Sacramento deal. If guys like Kyrie and Siakam are available they make more sense

« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2021, 07:27:10 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

This is what I was trying to get at with why I don't think Philly would approach the Sacramento deal. If guys like Kyrie and Siakam are available they make more sense

But here is the problem.  They are not available.

« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2021, 08:27:44 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Says who? Guys like McCollum and Siakam both seem available. Kyrie isn't, but he was just an example

« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2021, 10:47:02 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Says who? Guys like McCollum and Siakam both seem available. Kyrie isn't, but he was just an example

Says me. CJ is their best hope at a star type return but that's contingent on the blazers thinking the team looks better with a 6'q0" bricklayer.

« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2021, 12:36:16 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Says me. CJ is their best hope at a star type return but that's contingent on the blazers thinking the team looks better with a 6'q0" bricklayer.
Given all of Simmons' strengths are the weaknesses of Lillard, and vice versa, it makes sense to me for Portland.

« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2021, 09:18:02 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

I hear ya G. Portland better do something and fast. They are about to lose their franchise player.

« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2021, 11:18:14 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Given all of Simmons' strengths are the weaknesses of Lillard, and vice versa, it makes sense to me for Portland.

I think he could be moved for Ball and some some pieces with the Pelicans

« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2021, 05:53:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I think he could be moved for Ball and some some pieces with the Pelicans
I'm not aware of Philly's cap situation, but would this hard cap them?