Author Topic: U.S.A. Olympic Basketball  (Read 98361 times)

Re: U.S.A. Olympic Basketball
« Reply #195 on: July 25, 2021, 10:08:24 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
This Fournier guy is pretty good

I don't get people who question whether we should resign him.
Of course we want him back.
I know. It makes zero sense. Cs should pay him what he’s worth. People saying Cs should let him go if he wants anything over $15 mil are crazy. He’s going to get $18-$20 mil per. That’s what he deserves because he’s a good player. Star of the game today.

« Reply #196 on: July 25, 2021, 10:11:40 AM »

Kiorrik

I know. It makes zero sense. Cs should pay him what he’s worth. People saying Cs should let him go if he wants anything over $15 mil are crazy. He’s going to get $18-$20 mil per. That’s what he deserves because he’s a good player. Star of the game today.

Can we afford that though? Cap 'n all? (I got no clue about these things)

« Reply #197 on: July 25, 2021, 10:12:09 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Fortunately Stevens is the GM and he knows Fournier's worth and makes rational decisions

« Reply #198 on: July 25, 2021, 10:12:56 AM »

Online radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237

Yeah, it’s more like does Evan want to come back. If I’m him I’d want to play where I’m more featured, not 4th wheel. I seriously am stating to doubt he has serious interest in returning. Or that Celtics would pay him what he can get in the market.

Ime saw firsthand how good Fournier is. The ball is definitely in the C’s court. If Fournier continues to play well, he’s gonna get some pretty good offers.

« Reply #199 on: July 25, 2021, 10:13:37 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
Is Tatum being misused by this coaching staff or is he just worn out? He's basically a mediocre bench player on this team, which is not what you expect from a guy who we know is a top 10 NBA talent.
He wasn’t very good when he was in. He was basically just a perimeter player shooting threes. I’m also not convinced the knee is ok. He didn’t play much in the second half.

That being said, team USA shot 38% from the field. Everything just looks discombobulated for them offensively and defensively. They have no size. Playmaking is questionable. It’s like the rest of the world has caught up on how to play team basketball in international tournaments and the USA has no idea any more. Maybe that’s a byproduct of how different the NBA style is compared to the rest of the world. Don’t think they have adapted well to the style, pace, rules of Fiba basketball. And that could be a deeper byproduct of AAU basketball and development process in USA. That’s an area the rest of the world is ahead of USA imo at this point. There’s a heavy emphasis on fundamentals in Europe in academies and pro team development.

« Reply #200 on: July 25, 2021, 10:14:48 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson

Yeah, it’s more like does Evan want to come back. If I’m him I’d want to play where I’m more featured, not 4th wheel. I seriously am stating to doubt he has serious interest in returning. Or that Celtics would pay him what he can get in the market.

Ime saw firsthand how good Fournier is. The ball is definitely in the C’s court. If Fournier continues to play well, he’s gonna get some pretty good offers.
Rational decision would be to re-sign him because they can’t replace his production.

« Reply #201 on: July 25, 2021, 10:16:37 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

He was while Kemba was on the team. Who do you have as the 3rd option, Horford? I think Evan would be the 3rd wheel on offense. Not sure what other team can pay him $15-20m/year while also having a more talented roster than the C’s.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #202 on: July 25, 2021, 10:19:46 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Watched the last eight minutes of France coming from behind to beat US....Yabusele was in there making key plays for France in crunch time while Tatum sat; Fournier was high scorer in the game

« Reply #203 on: July 25, 2021, 10:33:39 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

He was while Kemba was on the team. Who do you have as the 3rd option, Horford? I think Evan would be the 3rd wheel on offense. Not sure what other team can pay him $15-20m/year while also having a more talented roster than the C’s.
Smart. Quoting Ime: Jayson and Jaylen are the pillars, Smart the foundation. Don’t recall Fournier referred to as a building material. Did I miss something?  Celtics journalists even say we are better with Fournier coming off the bench. That may in fact be true, as you don’t want too many high usage guys on floor at same time, but do you think Fournier is going to consider re-signing in Boston without a promise of a starting position? I’m just growing skeptical that he’s coming back to Boston. Hope he does.

« Reply #204 on: July 25, 2021, 10:37:31 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson

Smart. Quoting Ime: Jayson and Jaylen are the pillars, Smart the foundation. Don’t recall Fournier referred to as a building material. Did I miss something?  Celtics journalists even say we are better with Fournier coming off the bench. That may in fact be true, as you don’t want too many high usage guys on floor at same time, but do you think Fournier is going to consider re-signing in Boston without a promise of a starting position? I’m just growing skeptical that he’s coming back to Boston. Hope he does.
Think people get hung on the starter/off the bench stuff. It’s the amount of playing time that matters. For example, Ginobili came off the bench but basically played starter minutes and was on the floor in crunch time. Especially with Kemba gone, don’t see how Fournier wouldn’t get close to 30 mpg on this roster right now.

« Reply #205 on: July 25, 2021, 11:16:59 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #206 on: July 25, 2021, 11:43:23 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I didn’t watch the game but looking at the box score, I assume neither team was parading to the FT line. Wasn’t there talk of potential rule changes to cut down on the offensive flopping/unnatural motions, particularly on jump shots?

- LilRip

« Reply #207 on: July 25, 2021, 11:44:29 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
abusele was in there making key plays for France in crunch time

Yet he never made one key NBA play his whole career.  He was complete garbage.

« Reply #208 on: July 25, 2021, 12:08:07 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
abusele was in there making key plays for France in crunch time

Yet he never made one key NBA play his whole career.  He was complete garbage.
Which to me puts the significance of today's loss in perpective. Total choke job but it also sounds like a typical Celtics game from the past season - too many 3's, not enough passing and a team not playing up to the level of its talent.  And Tatum was involved.

« Reply #209 on: July 25, 2021, 12:15:31 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
With Fournier playing out of his mind and destroying Tatum...lol

I think he definitely aint coming back..and wth is goin on with team USA?.

Man international competition has gone a long way since the days when USA were beatin opponents up by 30.

This USA team might not even make the next round with another loss.