Author Topic: U.S.A. Olympic Basketball  (Read 99038 times)

Re: U.S.A. Olympic Basketball
« Reply #255 on: July 31, 2021, 02:11:01 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'm surprised they even qualified for the Olympics

Our three on three men's team did not.

We have a 3 on 3 mens team?

It’s pretty stupid that we aren’t able to put forth a competitive 3-on-3 team. We’d obviously destroy everyone else if we could use real players.

Also, wasn’t Pritchard part of a 3-on-3 USA team at some point? I remember highlights of him lighting up the competition from downtown.

« Reply #256 on: July 31, 2021, 03:11:37 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Anyone else rooting for Luka Doncic? Slovenia has never made it to the Olympics, I think it'd be cool to see him get his home country a medal.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #257 on: July 31, 2021, 03:16:14 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Anyone else rooting for Luka Doncic? Slovenia has never made it to the Olympics, I think it'd be cool to see him get his home country a medal.

I'd love for him to go home with a medal...not the gold of course, I hope our team of misfits wins that but I think they're a legit chance to medal for sure.

Luka has said that winning a gold medal for his tiny country would mean more to him than an NBA championship...playing for their country means so much to these guys.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10007006-luka-doncic-winning-gold-medal-with-slovenia-would-mean-more-than-nba-championship
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #258 on: July 31, 2021, 03:31:54 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

I'd love for him to go home with a medal...not the gold of course, I hope our team of misfits wins that but I think they're a legit chance to medal for sure.

Luka has said that winning a gold medal for his tiny country would mean more to him than an NBA championship...playing for their country means so much to these guys.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10007006-luka-doncic-winning-gold-medal-with-slovenia-would-mean-more-than-nba-championship

I'm with you.  And that's awesome - thanks for the link.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #259 on: July 31, 2021, 06:37:21 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I'm surprised they even qualified for the Olympics

Our three on three men's team did not.

We have a 3 on 3 mens team?

It’s pretty stupid that we aren’t able to put forth a competitive 3-on-3 team. We’d obviously destroy everyone else if we could use real players.

Also, wasn’t Pritchard part of a 3-on-3 USA team at some point? I remember highlights of him lighting up the competition from downtown.

here is the website for the team

https://www.usab.com/3x3/3x3-national-teams-men/news.aspx

here is the roster

https://www.usab.com/3x3/3x3-national-teams-men/roster.aspx

and here is the article where they did not qualify

At the 2021 FIBA 3x3 Olympic Qualifying Tournament this week in Graz, Austria, Team USA topped its group despite losing to Belgium. But on Sunday in the quarterfinals, the Netherlands eliminated the U.S. from the tournament, where the top three teams will advance to Tokyo.

The 3x3 competition differs from the long-standing, full-court event in that 3x3's half-court games are played outdoors in under 10 minutes, points are counted by 1s and 2s up to 21, and rules include a 12-second shot clock and a ball that is 1 1/2 centimeters smaller than an NBA regulation basketball.

https://www.si.com/olympics/2021/05/30/team-usa-fails-qualify-mens-3x3-basketball-tokyo-olympics

« Reply #260 on: July 31, 2021, 09:53:10 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Anyone see the game this morning? I missed it. Looks like the US won easily, 119-84.Tatum had a game high 27, 10-16 from the field, 5-10 from 3pt.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #261 on: July 31, 2021, 09:59:01 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Behind pay wall. Didn’t see it. Tatum went off in 2nd half. Durant now all time leading Olympic scorer USA. Said Tatum would be the next guy to break the record! Respect.

« Reply #262 on: July 31, 2021, 10:49:34 AM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
JT earning regular minutes, comfort taking a lion’s share of shots, and standing out on this Olympic squad at 23 is foreshadowing the level Tatum is on/approaching. There’s going to be a moment when he realizes he’s the best player on the court, regardless of who the opponent is, and it’s going to reflect in his game (Top 10 Status).

« Reply #263 on: July 31, 2021, 12:22:06 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
JT earning regular minutes, comfort taking a lion’s share of shots, and standing out on this Olympic squad at 23 is foreshadowing the level Tatum is on/approaching. There’s going to be a moment when he realizes he’s the best player on the court, regardless of who the opponent is, and it’s going to reflect in his game (Top 10 Status).

I feel like that moment already happened in the 3rd playoff game of the Nets series. Tatum had 50pts in 41mins and basically put the team on his back to get the win. Nets had all 3 of their stars that game too.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #264 on: July 31, 2021, 01:26:56 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

I feel like that moment already happened in the 3rd playoff game of the Nets series. Tatum had 50pts in 41mins and basically put the team on his back to get the win. Nets had all 3 of their stars that game too.
It hasn't shown itself on this olympic team, though, probably because of the star power that's there.

Great game from him today, though. I think if he can find a groove and show how good he is on a team full of all stars, it's going to give him unstoppable confidence back in the NBA.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #265 on: July 31, 2021, 02:14:25 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140

I feel like that already happened in the 3rd playoff game of the Nets series. Tatum had 50pts in 41mins and basically put the team on his back to get the win. Nets had all 3 of their stars that game too.
It hasn't shown itself on this olympic team, though, probably because of the star power that's there.

Great game from him today, though. I think if he can find a groove and show how good he is on a team full of all stars, it's going to give him unstoppable confidence back in the NBA.

He showed it today, and even before today he’s been #1,2, and 4 in FGA in the Prelim Rounds. He’s one of the youngest on the team and not getting outranked by older players. It just bodes well especially if they win in the process.

Showing it every game is going to be the moment when he is a consensus Top 10.

« Reply #266 on: July 31, 2021, 02:37:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Durant, who set the record for most points scored by an American basketball Olympian, said he thinks Tatum will be the guy that breaks his record.

I find it telling that Tatum and Brown get love from players like KD and Lebron. I think it signals some NBA players think the Celtics could be very real favorites to win a title sometime in the future.

« Reply #267 on: July 31, 2021, 02:46:31 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Durant, who set the record for most points scored by an American basketball Olympian, said he thinks Tatum will be the guy that breaks his record.

I find it telling that Tatum and Brown get love from players like KD and Lebron. I think it signals some NBA players think the Celtics could be very real favorites to win a title sometime in the future.

agree 100%

« Reply #268 on: July 31, 2021, 03:08:44 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25

As much as I hate it in general, this is good for the C's.
The more exposure, the more likely Tatum is to get star treatment from the Refs.
Defensive fouls become non-calls
50/50 calls go Tatum's way, 40/60 calls go Tatum's way, 30/70 calls in crunch time go Tatum's way.

If Jason goes to the line 8-10 times a game he might lead the league in scoring.

« Reply #269 on: July 31, 2021, 06:58:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Maybe Durant joins us a la Karl Malone on the Lakers :P
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)