Author Topic: Ime Udoka is the new head coach (Merged)  (Read 27396 times)

Re: Ime Udoka is the new head coach
« Reply #150 on: June 24, 2021, 04:53:08 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Idiot.

Edit: Didn't know we could post gifs. Nice

Looks like he's already taken it down. LOL

Ya within minutes.

We all have posts we'd like to take back, it happens Jay. Hope the backlash teaches him something about the city though.

Long before Doc, Bill Russell back in 1966 was the first black coach in NBA history:

https://aaregistry.org/story/the-first-black-nba-coach/
'66? My memory isn't perfect. I recall Russ coaching the championship team in '69 that came out of nowhere to beat the mighty Lakers in the 7th game of the finals--in LA.
With the balloons in the rafters waiting to fall.

I was  in school watching the game at the time at a party with my apartment mate, who had gone to Jerry West's high school in Cabin Creek. Needless to say, he was a Lakers fan.
Russ and I both had a big laugh after that game. Russ promptly retired. The end of a dynasty.  I graduated soon after that.

Russ player-coached 3 seasons, starting with the 1966-67 season, when the 76ers were unbelievable, I think they finished 8 games ahead of the Celtics in the regular season (68-13?)(it was 81 games then?) and beat us in 5 games and the Warriors in 6 games.  Russ player coached 2 more years, winning the '68 championship in 6 games over Lakers, and the '69 championship vs Lakers in 7 (balloon game).  Did that by memory; did I get it right?

« Reply #151 on: June 24, 2021, 04:56:42 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Wonder whether Brad will discuss with defensive minded Coach Udoka re-signing of Fournier, and whether Udoka will be on board. Fournier struggled defensively in playoffs, albeit against the juggernaut Nets.  Seems like Brad's roster construction will emphasize size and shooting prowess, but also a defensive identity.  Will be interested to see how this plays out.

I'm sure he'll be part of the discussion, that comes with the territory. If Stevens isn't discussing potential moves with his coach then he's doing a poor job.

As for Fournier, he wouldn't be starting to begin with, so I wouldn't worry too much about that particularly against what he showed vs. the Nets.
If we want to re-sign Fournier, I'm sure one of his questions will be whether they plan to start him. That is important for free agents of his stature.  I think you are wrong, that he will probably start if we re-sign him. 

« Reply #152 on: June 24, 2021, 05:15:57 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Wonder whether Brad will discuss with defensive minded Coach Udoka re-signing of Fournier, and whether Udoka will be on board. Fournier struggled defensively in playoffs, albeit against the juggernaut Nets.  Seems like Brad's roster construction will emphasize size and shooting prowess, but also a defensive identity.  Will be interested to see how this plays out.

I'm sure he'll be part of the discussion, that comes with the territory. If Stevens isn't discussing potential moves with his coach then he's doing a poor job.

As for Fournier, he wouldn't be starting to begin with, so I wouldn't worry too much about that particularly against what he showed vs. the Nets.
If we want to re-sign Fournier, I'm sure one of his questions will be whether they plan to start him. That is important for free agents of his stature.  I think you are wrong, that he will probably start if we re-sign him.

I expect Fournier to start as well with Smart either at PG or in the 6th man role.

« Reply #153 on: June 24, 2021, 05:46:30 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I expect Fournier to start as well with Smart either at PG or in the 6th man role.

That would all depend if we go with Tatum as a PF or not to start with. I'd prefer if Tatum didn't start at PF, but if he is, then certainly I'd think Fournier would start. I just don't think that is our Plan A.

« Reply #154 on: June 24, 2021, 05:55:25 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

That would all depend if we go with Tatum as a PF or not to start with. I'd prefer if Tatum didn't start at PF, but if he is, then certainly I'd think Fournier would start. I just don't think that is our Plan A.

Expecting a trade for a starting PF?  Cause that guy currently doesn't exist on our roster, does he?  (unless Jabari Parker somehow gets it together).

« Reply #155 on: June 24, 2021, 08:56:41 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Expecting a trade for a starting PF?  Cause that guy currently doesn't exist on our roster, does he?  (unless Jabari Parker somehow gets it together).

PG and PF/C type is my main interest on free-agents either by straight signing them or a S&T. Something along those lines should be Plan A (other than some ultra awesome blockbuster move LOL). If all we can manage is staying pat, then sure we can roll with him in our starting unit.

That said, I've really liked what I've seen from Parker, but I like him off the bench even so. But he did good for us in the Playoffs, thought he should've been used more.

But I'm not opposed to starting Fournier, it's more of how I prefer to start Tatum at SF if all possible. Willing to test Time Lord and Al together to see how that experiment goes too, but I'm not too high on that idea.

« Reply #156 on: June 24, 2021, 10:18:42 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
I’m glad Brad is moving swiftly with these decisions. Udoka looks like a great hire, specially since our main guys were in on the decision. Now both of them can sit down and plan the roster composition for next season’s team.

I watched Al’s presser and he mentioned that he already saw the team’s young guys doing some work in the practice facility. He particularly mentioned Tacko and GWill. Is Tacko eligible for a second 2 way deal? Is there a limit for these 2 way deals per player? I can’t really see him making the regular line up, unless he has a massive leap during the off season.

« Reply #157 on: June 24, 2021, 10:56:45 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I’m glad Brad is moving swiftly with these decisions. Udoka looks like a great hire, specially since our main guys were in on the decision. Now both of them can sit down and plan the roster composition for next season’s team.

I watched Al’s presser and he mentioned that he already saw the team’s young guys doing some work in the practice facility. He particularly mentioned Tacko and GWill. Is Tacko eligible for a second 2 way deal? Is there a limit for these 2 way deals per player? I can’t really see him making the regular line up, unless he has a massive leap during the off season.

Not sure how many years he has, but this is the rule which would apply I think:

A player is ineligible to sign a Two-Way contract if he will have more than three years of NBA service at any point in the contract. A player cannot play under Two-Way contracts for the same team for more than three years total1.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q82

« Reply #158 on: June 26, 2021, 11:23:05 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
I didn't know anything about Udoka two weeks ago but he seems like the perfect candidate.

A tough, defense-first player who didn't really have NBA-level talent but made himself a career as a role player. 6 years as an assistant under Pop, including a championship season (it's also worth noting he was an assistant in '13 and '14 when the Spurs were playing the most beautiful basketball any team has played since the '86 Celtics). He leaves to take a lead assistant job but then when that coach gets fired after a year he gets plucked by the Nets for Steve Nash to lean on as he gets comfortable in his first coaching gig.

So... 6 years under Pop and 2 years seeing a couple different franchises to see how others do it. Now he comes into Boston, having NBA experience and relationships with some of the top players. This doesn't mean it'll definitely work out but he really seems like the perfect candidate.

Also, this:

"Ime was taking people out like in Mortal Kombat. Finish him! Incredible."

"In the middle of the whole thing I heard Ime, literally in mid-swing of another opponent say, ‘Watch back, Gabe’ and he calmly, I mean calmly, smeared a guy who, as I turned to see his warning, jumped from the stands with a chair to probably kill me or knock me out to where the crowd would have. I mean, Ime caught the guy in mid air with a fist and calmly continued his dispatching of oncoming people.
https://nesn.com/2021/06/this-ime-udoka-brawl-story-will-have-fans-fired-up-about-reported-celtics-hire/
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #159 on: June 28, 2021, 04:19:19 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
The Boston Celtics have scheduled a press conference for 10:15 on Monday morning.

The assumption is that it will be to introduce Ime Udoka as the new head coach.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #160 on: June 28, 2021, 11:09:32 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
Ime Udoka on Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown: “We have two young pillars I’m excited to work with… The perception of them outside of this organization is All-NBA level players, MVP-caliber players… It’s my job to push them to be greater, and the sky’s the limit with those guys.”

« Reply #161 on: June 28, 2021, 11:10:00 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Press conference.  Just scroll to midway for the start

https://youtu.be/D_mmdgdRGCM

Udoka’s first Celtics press conference
« Reply #162 on: June 28, 2021, 11:14:35 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
Full Stream from CLNS Media: https://youtu.be/D_mmdgdRGCM

Ime Udoka: “When all the job openings happened this summer, I think it was pretty evident that Boston is the most attractive based on the organization, history, expectations, but also the players and roster. You have two foundational young pillars (Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown)"

Ime Udoka on the Celtics’ stars: “They’re gonna allow me to coach them and push them and they know I’m gonna be on their ass. They asked me about doing that.”

Ime Udoka: “I like to bring the dog out in guys and we got some young dogs here and I’m looking forward to pushing them.”

Ime Udoka is giving Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum the same message he gave a young Kawhi Leonard when he was pushing to become a championship caliber player in San Antonio: “Why wait?”

Says not making All-NBA needs to be a chip on their shoulder.

Ime Udoka: “You can’t coach everybody the same. What might motivate some may embarrass others. It’s about striking a balance of knowing their personalities and how they want to be coached.”
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 11:31:16 AM by Ed Monix »

Re: Udoka’s first Celtics press conference
« Reply #163 on: June 28, 2021, 11:18:02 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
The excerpts I read on twitter, including the above, make me very excited and encouraged about this hire. 

He also criticized Brad for the team being at the bottom of the league in assists.  Love it!!

Re: Udoka’s first Celtics press conference
« Reply #164 on: June 28, 2021, 11:23:23 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Just taking an aside to speculate about Brad's confidence and command in his new position. Wyc said Brad told him "let's go meet Ime" when it was time for Wyc's introduction. Moments later in the press conference, Pags was unsure if it was his turn to speak and Brad turns to him and tells him "go ahead", when Brad wasn't even speaking. He seems quite comfortable directing his owners lol.