Author Topic: Ime Udoka is the new head coach (Merged)  (Read 27391 times)

Re: Ime Udoka is the new head coach
« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2021, 06:30:40 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
First NBA AA draftee - 1950.
First NBA AA starting 5 - 1964
First NBA AA head coach -1966

Celtics AA head coaches: 6

Bill Russell (1966-69)
Satch Sanders (1978)
K.C. Jones (1983-88)
M.L Carr (1995-1997)
Doc Rivers (2004-2013)
Ime Udoka (2021-?)

Team with most championships headed by AA Coach - Celtics with 5. The rest of the NBA 3.

===

Somewhere I read that we're the leader in having had the most AA head coaches, but I haven't researched it myself.

« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2021, 06:33:01 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
On to other thoughts. I've read somewhere that apparently Udoka had a pretty big impact on the develop of Derrick White, a point guard that I have long thought would be a perfect fit next to the Js.

White is a ball-mover in a motion offense. He's not a high usage guard. He's unselfish and gets hockey assists. He's also big and a decent defender. He played with the Js for team USA basketball a few years ago.

His salary next year is 15m and the Spurs need a big man to take Eubanks minutes, who is terrible. I wonder about a Thompson and one of Langford or Grant Williams for Derrick White. The Spurs would hand the keys over to Murray, while continuing to develop Walker, Vassell, and Johnson and another wing/swing from the Cs, and between Thompson and Poetl, they would have a banging big man on the court at all times.

« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2021, 06:35:36 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Fair choice. Of the three serious candidates (Udoka, Ham and Billups) he was my #2 choice, but his assistant pedigree is pretty legit and he's only ever seen success.

I'm all aboard. Still incredibly thankful it wasn't Kidd!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2021, 06:43:53 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I know nothing about Udoka except for what I've read here. I'm willing to give him a chance.

"willing to give him a chance" LOL what choice do you have, they already hired him  :laugh:

(I like the hire btw)

LOL. I meant that I, in my own thinking, will give him a chance and not criticize the hire or call for his head when he hits his first rough patch with the team.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2021, 06:47:05 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn 1h

Udoka separated himself quickly in Brad Stevens' search process, including significant support from Celtics players who were impressed with Udoka after working under him with Team USA in the World's.

Billups and Ham also had multiple interviews per Woj. Woj had said Friday that Cs were seeking second interviews for the three remaining candidates. So BS got this done quickly.

Based on his extensive assistant coaching experience, the Js and Smart reviews from his prior work with them, and his work with Pop, it's not hard to see why he won. His emphasis on defense would be be a plus too.

Does this mean Smart stays?

Seems so. Maybe Udoka can reign in Smart's bad shooting.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2021, 07:11:05 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
On to other thoughts. I've read somewhere that apparently Udoka had a pretty big impact on the develop of Derrick White, a point guard that I have long thought would be a perfect fit next to the Js.

White is a ball-mover in a motion offense. He's not a high usage guard. He's unselfish and gets hockey assists. He's also big and a decent defender. He played with the Js for team USA basketball a few years ago.

His salary next year is 15m and the Spurs need a big man to take Eubanks minutes, who is terrible. I wonder about a Thompson and one of Langford or Grant Williams for Derrick White. The Spurs would hand the keys over to Murray, while continuing to develop Walker, Vassell, and Johnson and another wing/swing from the Cs, and between Thompson and Poetl, they would have a banging big man on the court at all times.

Love it.

The other team USA guy I'd love to get is Mason Plumlee, but only if they had to trade Rob Williams for whatever reason.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2021, 07:11:41 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1679
I have a positive impression of Udoka based on everything I’ve read about him.  Let’s ride.

« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2021, 07:12:07 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Love it.

The other team USA guy I'd love to get is Mason Plumlee, but only if they had to trade Rob Williams for whatever reason.
Plumlee would be a great get. Much more reliable than Timelord at this stage, but less dynamic

« Reply #113 on: June 23, 2021, 07:23:58 PM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
Brett Brown brought Udoka to the Sixers, wouldn't be surprised if he returned the favor and made Brown one of his lead assistants. He's a local guy, don't think he'd do any harm.

« Reply #114 on: June 23, 2021, 07:27:55 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn 1h

Udoka separated himself quickly in Brad Stevens' search process, including significant support from Celtics players who were impressed with Udoka after working under him with Team USA in the World's.

Billups and Ham also had multiple interviews per Woj. Woj had said Friday that Cs were seeking second interviews for the three remaining candidates. So BS got this done quickly.

Based on his extensive assistant coaching experience, the Js and Smart reviews from his prior work with them, and his work with Pop, it's not hard to see why he won. His emphasis on defense would be be a plus too.

Does this mean Smart stays?

Seems so. Maybe Udoka can reign in Smart's bad shooting.

I mean the poor guy isn’t a miracle worker...

Just kidding hopefully he does have a positive effect on Smart.

« Reply #115 on: June 23, 2021, 07:54:18 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Brett Brown brought Udoka to the Sixers, wouldn't be surprised if he returned the favor and made Brown one of his lead assistants. He's a local guy, don't think he'd do any harm.
Always rated Brown as an assistant coach. Not HC material but a good assistant

« Reply #116 on: June 23, 2021, 08:01:28 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
LOL, no shame... (that said, anyone caught it first hand?)

Jay Williams @RealJayWilliams
As it relates to the Boston Celtics tweet that came from my account a couple of hours ago… I did not post that & my passcode has now been changed.
7:37 PM · Jun 23, 2021

https://twitter.com/RealJayWilliams/status/1407845316582264833

« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2021, 08:03:09 PM »

Kiorrik

CelticsBlog's main image for the announcement is amazing.

Turned it into a meme cuz I'm hecking on board with this.

« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2021, 08:04:36 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Love it.

Maybe Derrick White is good enough to warrant Langford, I don't know, but I wouldn't risk it. 

« Reply #119 on: June 23, 2021, 08:11:38 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
LOL, no shame... (that said, anyone caught it first hand?)

Jay Williams @RealJayWilliams
As it relates to the Boston Celtics tweet that came from my account a couple of hours ago… I did not post that & my passcode has now been changed.
7:37 PM · Jun 23, 2021

https://twitter.com/RealJayWilliams/status/1407845316582264833

Haha.  That's fantastic.  Because the first thing a hacker on a celebrity account would do is post a well-meaning but extremely inaccurate take on NBA coaching news.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes