Author Topic: Woj: Carlisle Stepping Down as Mavs coach  (Read 5578 times)

Re: Woj: Carlisle Stepping Down as Mavs coach
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2021, 05:23:35 PM »

Offline SDceltGuy

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
Always liked Carlisle.

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2021, 05:24:11 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Luka gotta lose his mind now with Nelson & Carlisle gone

This was all done to pacify him.

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2021, 05:25:06 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
It was time for a change. I think Carlisle is overrated as a coach, honestly. He's solid, but he's also controlling and combative.
lol...who is good enough for y’all, honestly?

Carlisle hadn’t made it out of the first round in a decade, so I can imagine he’d be appealing to Celtics fans who were tired of Brad’s conference finals losses.

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2021, 05:25:07 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Always liked Carlisle.

He has Boston ties, but he doesn’t check all the boxes.

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2021, 06:16:50 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
It was time for a change. I think Carlisle is overrated as a coach, honestly. He's solid, but he's also controlling and combative.

Carlisle hadn’t made it out of the first round in a decade, so I can imagine he’d be appealing to Celtics fans who were tired of Brad’s conference finals losses.

Look at Rick Carlisle’s teams over the past decade, he’s actually overachieved. In 15/16 season alone Dallas came 6th in the West with 37 year old Dirk , well past his prime Deron Williams, Wesley Matthews and Chandler Parsons.

It doesn’t matter what is appealing to fans as most have no clue and will turn on management as soon as the team loses even if they picked a fan favorite.

Carlisle was a bench player during Bird’s 1986 championship winning season so I actually think the fans won love him because of the Bird/Red connection. Carlisle works best like Stevens with players who lack huge ego and work on defence, something sadly that is going extinct.

I love Carlisle regardless of Brad’s decision but picking the right coach is all that matters. Ethnicity, gender or age shouldn’t be a factor in that decision.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 06:28:35 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2021, 06:31:24 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I love Carlisle. I think he is awesome.

He did a bad job with Porzingis but that guy is difficult to coach. Unorthodox players in general are more awkward to coach and the guy is nickname "The Unicorn" for a reason. Carlisle couldn't figure Porzingis out but I wouldn't hold that against him.

Carlisle has done very well with most players throughout his career. He has an excellent track record.

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2021, 06:33:27 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Look at Rick Carlisle’s teams over the past decade, he’s actually overachieved. In 15/16 season alone Dallas came 6th in the West with 37 year old Dirk , well past his prime Deron Williams, Wesley Matthews and Chandler Parsons.

It doesn’t matter what is appealing to fans as most have no clue and will turn on management as soon as the team loses even if they picked a fan favorite.

Carlisle was a bench player during Bird’s 1986 championship winning season so I actually think the fans won love him because of the Bird/Red connection. Carlisle works best like Stevens with players who lack huge ego and work on defence, something sadly that is going extinct.

I love Carlisle regardless of Brad’s decision but picking the right coach is all that matters. Ethnicity, gender or age shouldn’t be a factor in that decision.

That's my main concern with  Carlisle. He is too similar to Stevens. This Celtics team needs a new voice, new direction.  They need someone who can manage Tatum and Brown and get them to fix the weak points  in their game, to integrate each other and their teammates better on offense and truly lead.

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2021, 07:48:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Luka mad at Carlisle for calling time out?
https://youtu.be/7oLJ4J1cyAE
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 08:00:15 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2021, 08:14:16 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

I think he overachieved this season. They need to get some players around Luka. It's the same problem as Boston has.

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2021, 08:20:49 PM »

Online Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 169
Luka gotta lose his mind now with Nelson & Carlisle gone

This was all done to pacify him.

Report is that Luka is upset over losing Donnie Nelson.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/06/17/report-luka-doncic-really-upset-about-mavericks-ousting-donnie-nelson/

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2021, 08:51:59 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Here's what needs to happen:

Brad Stevens to Dallas as Head Coach....Kemba to Dallas for Porzingas and a Pick...for letting Brad leave.

Brad would love to coach Luka.

Then we find another GM...and get out of Stevens owed money and Kemba's contract.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2021, 08:55:32 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Brad Stevens to Dallas as Head Coach....Kemba to Dallas for Porzingas and a Pick...for letting Brad leave.

Then we find another GM...and get out of Stevens owed money and Kemba's contract.

Who coaches Boston?

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2021, 08:56:51 PM »

Kiorrik

Who coaches Boston?

Oh, I thought who's on first?

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2021, 08:57:48 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Who coaches Boston?

Cassell or Billups

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2021, 09:01:14 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Who coaches Boston?

Cassell or Billups

Then we get Sam Presti to come from OKC to be GM