Author Topic: Kyrie's Exit Update  (Read 3346 times)

Re: Kyrie's Exit Update
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2021, 08:42:15 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I’m at the point where I blame management more than anything.  Were they completely out of touch where they couldn’t see the writing on the wall or were they holding on to hope he would change his mind?  It’s one thing for the fanbase to hold on to hope because we only catch glimpses of what goes on in the day to day and are left to speculate and parse through which reports are true and which aren’t.  However, the people working directly with him should have had their finger on the pulse.  I don’t blame Ainge for trading for him, but failing to cut his losses here was one of his biggest mistakes during his tenure.

Yeah trade him and get called all kinds of racist because they kept Hayward and let Kyrie go, and don’t forget because of Boston’s history of racial indiscretions. No win for Ainge.

Great, let's twist ourselves into pretzels trying to predict whether a decision will result in being called a racist or not.

I really don’t care what you twist yourself into, the point I am making is why it may have been difficult to deal Kyrie.

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2021, 02:58:23 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
The possibility of being called racist over a trade decision should not enter into it.

In today's society, people are accused of racism for all sorts of insane reasons.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2021, 07:45:05 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
What is the correlation between kyries grandfather dieing and him deciding to leave the Celtics and play with Durant?

We always hear this. "Oh Kyrie realized there's more important things than basketball" is not like he quit the NBA. He went and formed a superteam in Brooklyn. And tanked the playoffs in Boston.

Seems like a poor excuse to absolve him of any criticism.

It's a lame excuse

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2021, 07:52:59 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
I can see where Kyrie's coming from with that.

Sometimes we have these life altering moments. They happen.

Sucks for us, but it's a business.

He didn't quit basketball. He's still playing in the NBA, just with his buddy Durant and Harden.

This idea that Kyrie realized "life is more important than basketball" yet his life changing decision was to go continue to play basketball and form a superteam in Brooklyn and quit on his team doesn't add up.

Had Kyrie retired, then okay I could see this argument. But it seems to be a carefully crafted "narrative" by Kyries camp to absolve him of any criticism of his actions.

But just doesn't add up. He's doing nothing different in Brooklyn than he did in Boston.

He does it all the time anytime there is criticism.

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2021, 08:57:50 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
What is the correlation between kyries grandfather dieing and him deciding to leave the Celtics and play with Durant?

We always hear this. "Oh Kyrie realized there's more important things than basketball" is not like he quit the NBA. He went and formed a superteam in Brooklyn. And tanked the playoffs in Boston.

It's a lame excuse

I guess it’s “going home”?  I think his family is in West Orange New Jersey, which is right outside NYC.

I can understand that.  Going through depression, wanting to be closer to family.

What I don’t understand is totally screwing the Celtics in the process.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2021, 09:04:21 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104

It's a lame excuse

I guess it’s “going home”?  I think his family is in West Orange New Jersey, which is right outside NYC.

I can understand that.  Going through depression, wanting to be closer to family.

And the resentment he seems to hold towards the organization.  It's not like they traded him and from everything I've read he really left the front office hanging about his future plans, even after the season was over.  In general he seems to get along fine with most of the players based on how they interact with him before and after games.  The stomping on the logo was strange. 

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2021, 09:21:28 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

It's a lame excuse

And the resentment he seems to hold towards the organization. It's not like they traded him and  from everything I've read he really left the front office hanging about his future plans, even after the season was over. In general he seems to get along fine with most of the players based on how they interact with him before and after games.  The stomping on the logo was strange.

I don't know how true that is. I recall a report (after Kyrie left, of course) that he told Ainge he was out during exit interviews and #11 was available to rookies. Why make a number available that belongs to a player you're hoping comes back? I think Ainge tried to publicly spin it because he was still angling for Anthony Davis and he thought getting AD could change Kyrie's mind.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2021, 09:23:16 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
There's only 1 person to blame and his name is Cryee.