Author Topic: Woj: SVG Fired  (Read 3551 times)

Re: Woj: SVG Fired
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2021, 02:01:20 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
He seemed to get a raw deal.  that roster was not set up well for success.

That roster is young but it has a ton of talent.
but it is ill fitting.  Zion and Ingram don't fit very well together.  Adams and Zion can't play together at all.  Ball is a terrible shooter, which doesn't fit the offense being run by Zion and Ingram.  Bledsoe is a horrid SG.  The roster on the whole just isn't very good.

I don't disagree with any of that but I still think that ropster should've at least made the playin games.
Why though?  I mean Zion was a 2nd year player that played only 24 games as a rookie (and a shorter off season since they were in the bubble).  Zion got better as the year went on.  Ingram didn't get better necessarily, but he didn't regress either.  And the fit of those 2 is not great as they are both better with the ball in their hand and neither is a super elite shooter.  Lonzo doesn't work well with them, but had his best season by far in his career.  Bledsoe and Adams are just terrible fits on that roster, but there really wasn't anyone else worth playing those minutes to.  Redick fell off a cliff.  Most of the other young guys haven't looked very good (Hayes in particular).  It just isn't a well put together roster at all.  Zion is obviously going to be very good, but the roster isn't set up around his strengths either, which makes sense since he is the newer young guy.  Given the growth of Zion under SVG, I just don't understand this move at all, unless Zion basically got him fired.  That is the only reason this would make sense.

I think if he made that 10th spot he would've kept his job and I don't think that was an unrealistic expectation.

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2021, 02:18:42 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
SVG was a good coach for a late 90s / 2000s version of basketball.  He was a legitimately good coach for the Magic. I don’t know if he struggles to connect with more modern players, but he just isn’t the same coach anymore.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2021, 02:43:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
My opinion to start the year was that either SVG would win Coach of the Year or be out of work. Looks like it was the latter and he should have been fired. There is clearly enough talent there for the Pels to have been a strong playoff team.

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2021, 02:54:21 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
He seemed to get a raw deal.  that roster was not set up well for success.
Agreed -- that dumb GM scapegoated SVG to save his own hide as bad GMs often do. That GM is the root of everything bad on that team.

I actually thought SVG did a good job with that team. I really liked how he developed Zion into a dangerous ball-handler. Lonzo Ball had a breakout year. SVG kept them competitive despite losing Jrue Holiday and JJ Redick and having one of the worst jump-shooting groups in the league.

That was a brutal job that SVG had and it was entirely down to the failings of that GM.
To be fair Griffin was in asset collection mode this season. I actually rate him as a GM - he did as good of a job as you can ask for in terms of building around LeBron (people forget that the Cavs actually needed to switch teambuilding strategies around LeBron because they signed LeBron right before the databall explosion) and I read somewhere that he was a really good data guy in his previous stops, which is always a plus for me as long as the person in question isn't obsessed with spreadsheets. Throw in his endeavours in trying to assemble a team around Zion to fix the player's various issues (eg. movement patterns, physical shape, etc) so the organisation can maximise his potential and I really like Griffin as a GM. Obviously this firing was for him to save face after assembling a team that looked good on paper but fit horribly together, but as much as I rate SVG as a coach he's not exactly irreplaceable.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2021, 03:46:49 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Van Gundy was a polar opposite from previous coach Alvin Gentry. Van Gundy emphasized defense, became visibly upset any time the Pelicans turned the ball over on fast breaks, and was more concerned with Xs and Os minutiae than personal relationships. Many players did not adapt well to such an abrupt change.

“It was definitely different,” reserve wing Josh Hart said. “It wasn’t the easiest transition.”

Van Gundy’s relationship with All-Star forward Brandon Ingram was strained for a majority of the season, multiple sources said.

The Pelicans finished 23rd in points allowed per 100 possessions, two spots worse than where they ranked in Gentry’s final season in charge. For a team that Griffin said would "make our bones on defense," it was an abject failure.

New Orleans’ inability to close games was another of its other defining features. It lost an NBA-most 14 games when it had a double-digit lead.

https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans/article_a42c8c30-c970-11eb-80a3-4317f063a7bb.html?mode=comments&sr_source=lift_amplify

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2021, 03:52:21 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
Van Gundy was a polar opposite from previous coach Alvin Gentry. Van Gundy emphasized defense, became visibly upset any time the Pelicans turned the ball over on fast breaks, and was more concerned with Xs and Os minutiae than personal relationships. Many players did not adapt well to such an abrupt change.

“It was definitely different,” reserve wing Josh Hart said. “It wasn’t the easiest transition.”

Van Gundy’s relationship with All-Star forward Brandon Ingram was strained for a majority of the season, multiple sources said.

The Pelicans finished 23rd in points allowed per 100 possessions, two spots worse than where they ranked in Gentry’s final season in charge. For a team that Griffin said would "make our bones on defense," it was an abject failure.

New Orleans’ inability to close games was another of its other defining features. It lost an NBA-most 14 games when it had a double-digit lead.

https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans/article_a42c8c30-c970-11eb-80a3-4317f063a7bb.html?mode=comments&sr_source=lift_amplify

For a team that young you need a players coach.  The old school hard arse will not be a good fit for a young team like that.  These kids don't get motivated by yelling, screaming etc.  Different generation that needs different motivation.  Stan just may not be right for the NBA anymore unless he can adapt.

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2021, 04:33:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
My opinion to start the year was that either SVG would win Coach of the Year or be out of work. Looks like it was the latter and he should have been fired. There is clearly enough talent there for the Pels to have been a strong playoff team.
Which team are they knocking out of the playoffs?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2021, 04:49:30 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Think most would say they have more talent than memphis

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2021, 04:50:31 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Spurs.

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2021, 08:48:02 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
It was always a stupid hire, so I'm not surprised he hot fired.

Me either. I'm not a fan of SVG.

Same here , seems ok for an assistant maybe, but no thanks for head coach

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2021, 08:52:08 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Pass

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2021, 07:44:16 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Don’t want him as our coach but SVG will always have my respect from when he completely exposed Dwight Howard’s shenanigans to the media in Orlando then passed the mic off to an unknowing Dwight so we could all watch him lie first hand.

What a masterpiece that was
Greg

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2021, 08:43:00 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Think most would say they have more talent than memphis
Well Zion is the best player on either team, but Memphis is a much more cohesive team in part because of Morant's flexibility.  He can actually make it work a bigger plodding center whereas Zion just doesn't work well with that type of player.  New Orleans is pretty young and just doesn't have the right mix of player to pair with Zion.  Ball, Bledsoe, and Adams are just terrible fits next to him and frankly him and Ingram aren't a great fit either (they are just talented enough to generally make it work ok as a duo).   
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip