Author Topic: NBA Playoffs 2021  (Read 313038 times)

NBA Playoffs 2021
« on: May 17, 2021, 12:05:21 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Tonight has wrapped up the 72-grueling season games as we set off for the NBA Playoffs!

Looks like our 3/6 and 4/5 matchups are set for each conferences as...Milwaukee Bucks are seeking revenge against Miami Heat in the East while Portland and Denver will duke it out in the West. Also, Clippers/Mavs and new faces Knicks/Hawks are going to be interesting as well.

Celtics/Wizards will fight outright for the 7th seed in the play-in to face Brooklyn Nets while the Lakers will battle the Warriors for rights to face the Suns in the first-round!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Re: NBA Playoffs 2021
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 08:22:50 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
I know the NBA has taken some flack for the play-in, but they must be ecstatic to get Lakers-Warriors in the 7-8 game.  Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s the highest rated game of the postseason.

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 09:05:02 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Deleted.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 09:18:43 AM by footey »

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 09:56:35 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Blazers/Nuggets is gonna be a blast to watch.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 01:01:57 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
I know the NBA has taken some flack for the play-in, but they must be ecstatic to get Lakers-Warriors in the 7-8 game.  Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s the highest rated game of the postseason.

LeBron vs Warriors again, in a tournament ahahaha

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 06:06:35 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
The available routes for the Celtics now seem to be:

1. Win at home vs Washington. Start Round 1 on the road versus the stinky Nets.

2. Lose at home vs Washington, win at home vs winner of Hornets/Pacers. Start Round 1 on the road versus the evil Sixers.

3. Lose at home versus Washington AND lose at home versus the winner Hornets/Pacers. Lottery time!

With #3 the worse lottery position would be 13th I believe. And there is always the slight hope of winning the lotto and moving up to get a star player......whom we can all moan and groan about.  ;D

My heart says #1. My brain looks at this team minus Brown and says #3.

What see ye, my mighty posters of CS land?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 06:20:11 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

2. Lose at home vs Washington, win at home vs winner of Hornets/Pacers. Start Round 1 on the road versus the evil Sixers.

3. Lose at home versus Washington AND lose at home versus the winner Hornets/Pacers. Lottery time!

With #3 the worse lottery position would be 13th I believe. And there is always the slight hope of winning the lotto and moving up to get a star player......whom we can all moan and groan about.  ;D

I will admit i was briefly tempted to vote for 3. However, i think there are two pretty big downsides to this.

1) We lose the revenue from at least 2 home games, which impact how our owners feel about spending money on the margins this offseason or next season.

2) I know we don't have a ton of money to play with in free agency, but if somehow push the nets or 76ers to like 6 games and Kemba/Thompson/Smart play well we only one owner of another team to become slightly more intrigued by them to consider them in a trade package. Given those guys values are probably at all time low right now, this could be significant compared to us just looking horrible losing the wizards and hornets.

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 07:00:17 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

I will admit i was briefly tempted to vote for 3. However, i think there are two pretty big downsides to this.

1) We lose the revenue from at least 2 home games, which impact how our owners feel about spending money on the margins this offseason or next season.

2) I know we don't have a ton of money to play with in free agency, but if somehow push the nets or 76ers to like 6 games and Kemba/Thompson/Smart play well we only one owner of another team to become slightly more intrigued by them to consider them in a trade package. Given those guys values are probably at all time low right now, this could be significant compared to us just looking horrible losing the wizards and hornets.

Technically revenue is lost from only at least 1 home game, at least relative to option 1.  Option 1 is one home game in play-in and (at least) 2 for first round, whereas option 3 has two home games for the play-ins.

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 07:26:07 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Technically revenue is lost from only at least 1 home game, at least relative to option 1.  Option 1 is one home game in play-in and (at least) 2 for first round, whereas option 3 has two home games for the play-ins.

I am not sure what the capacity situation would be in Boston right now, but would have to a matchup against charlotte or indiana would not be in the same ballpark for making money as a game against the 76ers or nets.

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 07:34:14 PM »

Kiorrik

Honestly?

... I'm kinda hoping miracles still happen. I want us to take the game tomorrow by like 20+ points, whilst seeing the bench out there in the last 5 minutes.

Then I want us to AT LEAST take the Nets to 7 games.

Do I actually forealsies see this as a possibility? Would it be great for us if it worked out that way? Would I put money on it happening?

No, not really, and not more than the price of a cuppa coffee.

But by golly would it be fun to root for a team.

---

As an aside, I'm kinda in two minds about what's better for the team's heart. Have they had too many miraculous runs already? Is that why they are billed as top-notch talent and playing kinda down because of it? Do they need a few harsh lessons to become stronger? Will those lessons come from losing 7-game series? Will those lessons come from not-even-making-it to the proper playoffs?

Who knows!

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2021, 07:42:07 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

prefer #1.  think it'll be #2

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2021, 08:36:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Embarrassing display from a supposed title threat in the Clippers.  Throwing their last two games so they avoid the Lakers in not just round 1 but also round 2.  Especially pathetic given the Lakers should be the easiest to beat in the 1st round coming off the play in game and while they get their 3 best players back into full health.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2021, 09:44:36 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Well, here ya go...

The Celtics are underdogs, they've shed their ECF finals bubble 48-24 we are tops and now are coming in with no chance.

When you're not supposed to win? That means you got a shot.

See those Knickerboxers watching their lead drop to one with 2 minutes to go last night? Watch 5'10" Tremont Waters and repeated wash out Jabari Parker wipe out an 18 point lead?

If the Celtics "play in"? Every game they play they will be getting points from Vegas...their opponent will be carrying the load.

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2021, 09:50:26 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Embarrassing display from a supposed title threat in the Clippers.  Throwing their last two games so they avoid the Lakers in not just round 1 but also round 2.  Especially pathetic given the Lakers should be the easiest to beat in the 1st round coming off the play in game and while they get their 3 best players back into full health.

Clippers = joke

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2021, 03:08:57 AM »

Offline Briantir

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 14
My heart would love to see any other team except Brooklyn win the East, however my brain can't see a way Brooklyn doesn't win the East without major injuries...

Durant is by far the best player in the East and you could argue Harden is the second lol at worst 3rd.