Author Topic: Boston Media: blow up the team  (Read 4037 times)

Boston Media: blow up the team
« on: May 06, 2021, 01:08:51 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Was listening to "OMF" yesterday, and Ordway, Merloni, and Fauria were sickened by the teams' recent play and were hoping for an early playoff exit so that Ainge significantly restructures the team. They think Brown and Tatum will never win together.

I've heard others in the Boston media say the same. The general tone around the team has been very pessimistic, and even mocking, for a long while.

My thoughts are that these same fools would have been clamoring to break up the Warriors in 2013 after they were bounced by the Clippers in the first round.

The next year they won the first of at least three championships. Before their first title season Curry had only played in 19 playoff games (Tatum has played in 45 in three full NBA seasons). Steph was 26 when they finally broke through, one year younger than Jordan and Lebron (Draymond and Klay were both 24). Tatum is 23 and Brown is 24 right now.

Tatum, Brown, and Smart have had a lot of success in the playoffs in their short careers. A lot more than the Warriors had at the same point. And now Timelord is breaking out, Kemba is healthy, and there are some solid roleplayers present in Thompson and Fournier.

Don't be shocked if this team makes a big run sometime in the next 3 years or so. Nobody thought the Warriors were true contenders until they beat everyone in front of them. Before the meltdown against Toronto last year in game 3, when the Celtics lost confidence in each other after a last-second collapse, Boston IMO was on an eye-opening Warriors-like run.

But this is still a very young team. There will be many bumps in the road. They might be due for an ugly playoff exit this year - or not. That doesn't mean it isn't a team with championship potential. When the Celtics play Team Ball they can beat anyone. Timelord, Brown, and Smart are legit physical freaks. And Tatum is as good an ISO scorer as anyone in the league.

No-one knew the Warriors were the Warriors before they won. We shouldn't let the toxic media drive the narrative that this team stinks because of some early career struggles and maturity issues from two young all-stars.

Re: Boston Media: blow up the team
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 01:18:16 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Outside a very short list of individuals, the Boston sports media landscape these days is a cesspool littered with garbage personalities.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 01:36:50 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If you're talking about their bad takes then you are reinforcing their belief that bad takes are what makes them money.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 01:52:42 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
TP for the evaluation.

Time to stop listening to them. The heat/light ratio is too far out of whack.

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 02:55:36 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Stopped listening to sports radio since Podcasts much better fill the need. Those radio guys generally are uninformed and getting desperate to attract attention as their ratings continue to plummet.

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 03:06:26 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I don't know that Tatum/Brown will ever be good enough as a duo to win a title as the 2 best players on a team.  Tatum would have to take a pretty massive leap up into a top 5ish type player, Brown would need to get into legit top 15 range, and they need to have at minimum a borderline all star and solid depth elsewhere on the roster.  So if the goal is to win a title, then something drastic does probably need to happen.  Now it doesn't mean that Tatum or Brown needs to be traded, but the team absolutely needs to find a better 3rd player than Walker. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 03:17:17 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I don't know that Tatum/Brown will ever be good enough as a duo to win a title as the 2 best players on a team.  Tatum would have to take a pretty massive leap up into a top 5ish type player, Brown would need to get into legit top 15 range, and they need to have at minimum a borderline all star and solid depth elsewhere on the roster.  So if the goal is to win a title, then something drastic does probably need to happen.  Now it doesn't mean that Tatum or Brown needs to be traded, but the team absolutely needs to find a better 3rd player than Walker.
     I’m sometimes right here with where you’re thinking. I DO think it’s possible Tatum gets to that top 5ish level. To ke, so much depends on his ball handling. If that takes a leap I think he becomes  one of those virtually unguardable guy. Brown I’m not ready to say definitely not on top 15. He got so much better. Maybe probably not quite us more realistic. That third guy probably does have to be our 2nd best player. I keep dreaming of Embiid here once Kemba is up.

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 05:15:53 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
To me, the first step is to define you core.  What part or parts of this team do you want to build around.  I think for sure that you build around Tatum.  If you really blew it up and started completely over, it will not be easy to get a player better than Tatum.  People will debate whether Brown or others should be part of that core, that is fine.

To me, the missing ingredient is a skilled big, plain and simple.  Every top team has at least one skilled big.  We don't.  We need a big who is our 2nd or 3rd best player.  I see two possibilities here.

One path would be to go really all in (or mostly in) and trade Brown for someone like Towns or some other truly high level big.  This is then your 1st and 2nd and you go from there.  Maybe Kemba is an OK 3 in that scenario.

The other path is to say Tatum is my 1st and Brown is my 2nd but use Kemba, Smart, etc. to get more of a medium level big to be your 3rd.  I see players like Collins potentially fitting this mold.  If you consider Tatum and Brown as both all star level players, then the #3 can be just a really good player.  Doesn't have to be a star.  The Nets have 3 all stars but I don't see how you can say 3 all stars or bust.

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 05:21:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Not only is Boston sports talk radio filled with personalities that know little about the NBA, but have super hot takes about the Celtics anyway, they seemingly only take callers that agree with their super not negative takes. Boston sports radio callers are the original trolls, many going ultra negative in their opinions as a schtick simply for a little fame....to be forever known as "joe shmoe for some local city or town". 

Everyone should do themselves a huge favor and listen to their favorite music in their car rather than the toxic waste pool that is sports talk radio.

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 06:01:18 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Outside a very short list of individuals, the Boston sports media landscape these days is a cesspool littered with garbage personalities.

You're being too kind!

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2021, 06:11:26 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
i agree.

only a very few members of the boston media are worth listening to. this is particularly true with the Red Sox. for the rest, the boston teams can do virtually nothing right, a dark lining is found in each and every cloud, and they compete to be more negative than their colleagues.

save your time and sanity and avoid them.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2021, 07:05:53 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

This^. Pretty much my take as well.

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2021, 10:28:36 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I don’t know why people get so upset about the sports personalities on radio. It’s their job to generate hot takes so people call in. If you want educated conversation on basketball, listen to podcasts etc. there’s a lot of good content out there. Sports radio ain’t it.

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2021, 12:02:59 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I stand by that Danny screwed this thing up big time.
 If Tatum and Brown are our only hope, than we are in trouble.

I am happy with his draft picks this year for the first time in a long time. Romeo, Grant, Carsen, just an absolute joke of a draft class.

Nesmith, Prichard,  and Timelord give me hope. Although should probably move timelord for another Big..a Healthy one.

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2021, 01:24:16 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Good points, although I really can't see Tatum developing into a generational talent like Curry.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA