Author Topic: Mo Wagner: Cut Too Soon?  (Read 3288 times)

Mo Wagner: Cut Too Soon?
« on: May 06, 2021, 10:29:05 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
20 points, 4 rebounds, 3-for-5 from outside

Two games ago he had 24 points against Memphis.

Does anybody regret the decision to let him go?

(My opinion?  Nope, I’m happy with the Jabari rehabilitation project).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Mo Wagner: Cut Too Soon?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 10:32:43 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
I understood the decision, but have been vocal since it occurred that we didn’t really give Mo a chance.

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 10:49:02 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I did only because Wagner wasn't the worst player on the roster.  I understand his contract made him the easiest and cheapest to cut, but at some point Ainge just needs to realize Edwards was a mistake and cut him.  I'd have rather him just done it now and kept Wagner. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 11:13:04 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Wagner should not have been cut.

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 11:22:43 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I like him a lot more now and in the future than Kornet. And we still could have signed Jabari. There have been way too many DNP-CD for Kornet over games where we didn’t have TL or TT.

I don’t think it makes or breaks the season, but people were acting like the only games Wagner ever played were his garbage time minutes on the Cs.

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 11:57:36 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Kornet can play defense. Wagner has never been able to do that.

If we're looking to fill the 3rd center slot, I'd rather have Kornet.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 11:58:35 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I did only because Wagner wasn't the worst player on the roster.  I understand his contract made him the easiest and cheapest to cut, but at some point Ainge just needs to realize Edwards was a mistake and cut him.  I'd have rather him just done it now and kept Wagner.

Yeah Carsen is just dead weight. Hopefully he gets moved this summer when they inevitably make moves to clear space.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 12:17:40 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Nope.   He has no roll on the Celtics.   They need the third center to be able to step in a play solid team defense.   Wagner didn't do that. 

He is an energy big man. 

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 12:28:26 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Yeah Carsen is just dead weight. Hopefully he gets moved this summer when they inevitably make moves to clear space.

It would have been strange to take the cap hit for next year by cutting him now. He'll probably get the Poirier treatment since he'll be expiring. We'll send along cash, as well, and the receiving team will either cut him or give him a look. No need to send a pick at his salary.

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 12:48:23 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

It would have been strange to take the cap hit for next year by cutting him now. He'll probably get the Poirier treatment since he'll be expiring. We'll send along cash, as well, and the receiving team will either cut him or give him a look. No need to send a pick at his salary.

At the same time, it was frustrating he couldn't have been moved at the deadline.  The Kings took on Mfiondu Kabengele from the Clippers, who had next year guaranteed at $2.1 million, for $2.75 million dollars.  They released him later that week.  The C's should have been able to move Carsen off the books in March for no draft compensation.

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2021, 12:51:05 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435

This. I’d rather have Wagner over Edwards or Grant. Two guys that have little to no upside.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2021, 12:53:19 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Kornet can play defense. Wagner has never been able to do that.

If we're looking to fill the 3rd center slot, I'd rather have Kornet.

Agree with this, if your looking to fill your 2nd Center I'd rather have Wagner over Kornet but since we already have Thompson and Timelord I would rather have Kornet as the 3rd guy.

Wagner can do more with opportunity but Kornet can be used more easily in situational matchups like Embiid.

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2021, 01:02:43 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Yeah, I might have kept him over some of the other players at the end of the bench, including Kornet.  He averaging 12PPG with Orlando.  Sometimes I question our scouting group.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2021, 01:08:00 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
Yeah, I might have kept him over some of the other players at the end of the bench, including Kornet.  He averaging 12PPG with Orlando.  Sometimes I question our scouting group.

Probably not Kornet, but I agree that Edwards should have been the one to be cut if this were just based on relative value to the Cs.  The decision to cut Wagner instead of Edwards was based purely on financial considerations.

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2021, 01:54:39 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
So this is an argument about who should be the Cs’ fourth string center.