Author Topic: LeBron finally done?  (Read 10133 times)

Re: LeBron finally done?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2021, 03:46:12 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
He’s not going anywhere, he’s laying the foundation for an excuse for why his team failed this year so that it’s not his fault when they get eliminated and that he’s a hero if they don’t.

This is similar to him blaming a finals loss on  a phantom hand injury that was a terrible terrible look.
Greg

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2021, 03:54:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
greatest player of his generation yet couldn't accomplish anything without having to create a 'superteam' to do it.  no respect for him, his whining and the ridiculous superstar treatment he received the moment he stepped on the court as a rookie.  The ridiculous stretches he'd enjoy without being called for a single foul were egregious and blatant show of favoritism by the league.

The only one of his career moments I ever enjoyed was the game where he fouled out against the Celtics in the playoffs and he couldn't get over the fact that the refs dared to foul him out.
Ah yes because the greatest players of all time weren't winning their multiple championships on super teams.
I think where people get nuts about the superteams isn't that the greatest players play on superteams, but how those teams are created. The 80's Celtics, Lakers and Pistons and the 90's Bulls and Rockets and recent teams like San Antonio, Detroit, Dallas and the pre-Durant Warriors were put together more organically. But the Heat, the Cavs, this recent iteration of the Lakers and the Durant Warriors were more about players forcing themselves together to form those teams superteams. I think that's where people get mad. Personally, it doesn't bother me. If in 2-3 years someone like Doncic or Giannis wants to force his way to Boston to form a superteam with the Jays, count me in.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 05:47:28 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2021, 04:11:29 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
greatest player of his generation yet couldn't accomplish anything without having to create a 'superteam' to do it.  no respect for him, his whining and the ridiculous superstar treatment he received the moment he stepped on the court as a rookie.  The ridiculous stretches he'd enjoy without being called for a single foul were egregious and blatant show of favoritism by the league.

The only one of his career moments I ever enjoyed was the game where he fouled out against the Celtics in the playoffs and he couldn't get over the fact that the refs dared to foul him out.
Ah yes because the greatest players of all time weren't winning their multiple championships on super teams.
I think where people get nuts about the superteams isn't that the greatest players play on superteams, but how those teams are created. The 80's Celtics,vLayer and Pistons and the 90's Bulls and Rockets and recent teams like San Antonio, Detroit, Dallas and the pre-Durant Warriors were put together more organically. But the Heat, the Cavs, this recent iteration of the Lakers and the Durant Warriors were more about players forcing themselves together to form those teams superteams. I think that's where people get mad. Personally, it doesn't bother me. If in 2-3 years someone like Doncic or Giannis wants to force his way to Boston to form a superteam with the Jays, count me in.

I was going to say, I don't think the issue is with superteams but with player autonomy. People really seem to hold players to a different standard in terms of "loyalty" where fans expect players to be happy little lapdogs with endless devotion while teams trade & acquire them like property.

I have no issue with players taking their own careers into their hands. The NBA is a business after all.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2021, 04:25:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
He’s not going anywhere, he’s laying the foundation for an excuse for why his team failed this year so that it’s not his fault when they get eliminated and that he’s a hero if they don’t.

This is similar to him blaming a finals loss on  a phantom hand injury that was a terrible terrible look.

This guy gets it.

If Bron figures out he can't win with Anthony Davis and whatever the Lakers have set up for him, he'll engineer his way to a different situation where he has more help.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2021, 04:28:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If in 2-3 years someone like Doncic or Giannis wants to force his way to Boston to form a superteam with the Jays, count me in.

Sure but you know that if stars force their way anywhere to create a superteam they're not going to Boston to do it. 

If Tatum and Giannis decide they want to play together, for example, they'll find some warm weather / big market city with a team ready to clear space for them that summer, and they'll jointly force their way to that team.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2021, 04:51:14 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
i dont see him as hanging around indefinitely right?

like - once he cant be the best anymore thats probably it for him.

No Lebron the ancient veteran who doesnt ever play but is on the team because he's Lebron?

so if thats true, then the end should be near :)
I think he wants to play with his son.  Or at least will stick around long enough to see if his son has a chance to make it to the NBA (so that he can then play with him).  That will also allow him to pass Kareem on the points list and move up on all of the other all time lists.  He also wants to get another couple of titles because he wants there to be no doubt that he is the greatest player ever.  So he will be around at least a few more seasons if not more.

oh god

i didnt realize this

i have to go puke now

thx

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2021, 04:53:41 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

No Lebron the ancient veteran who doesnt ever play but is on the team because he's Lebron?

I think he wants to play with his son.  Or at least will stick around long enough to see if his son has a chance to make it to the NBA (so that he can then play with him).  That will also allow him to pass Kareem on the points list and move up on all of the other all time lists.  He also wants to get another couple of titles because he wants there to be no doubt that he is the greatest player ever.  So he will be around at least a few more seasons if not more.

That ship has already long sailed.  No matter what these next few years bring, they''ll always be doubt that he is the greatest player of all-time.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2021, 04:56:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If in 2-3 years someone like Doncic or Giannis wants to force his way to Boston to form a superteam with the Jays, count me in.

Sure but you know that if stars force their way anywhere to create a superteam they're not going to Boston to do it. 

If Tatum and Giannis decide they want to play together, for example, they'll find some warm weather / big market city with a team ready to clear space for them that summer, and they'll jointly force their way to that team.
Whether it's likely to happen in Boston or not is irrelevant to me. I am simply saying if it did happen in Boston I wouldn't get all crazy about how it happened. The important thing to me is that the team got better, not how the team was constructed to get better.

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2021, 05:26:44 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I think where people get nuts about the superteams isn't that the greatest players play on superteams, but how those teams are created. The 80's Celtics,vLayer and Pistons and the 90's Bulls and Rockets and recent teams like San Antonio, Detroit, Dallas and the pre-Durant Warriors were put together more organically. But the Heat, the Cavs, this recent iteration of the Lakers and the Durant Warriors were more about players forcing themselves together to form those teams superteams. I think that's where people get mad. Personally, it doesn't bother me. If in 2-3 years someone like Doncic or Giannis wants to force his way to Boston to form a superteam with the Jays, count me in.
this - thanks Nick for more eloquently getting the point across.  TP.

As for Doncic or Giannis coming here, I'm ok with that if there's an equitable deal reached and not someone's Agent/family pulling strings to make it happen and shortchange the team they're leaving (ala AD leaving NO).  Would really like to see a penalty imposed on players that publicly come out demanding trades or refusing to play while they're still under contract.

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2021, 08:31:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I think where people get nuts about the superteams isn't that the greatest players play on superteams, but how those teams are created. The 80's Celtics, Lakers and Pistons and the 90's Bulls and Rockets and recent teams like San Antonio, Detroit, Dallas and the pre-Durant Warriors were put together more organically. But the Heat, the Cavs, this recent iteration of the Lakers and the Durant Warriors were more about players forcing themselves together to form those teams superteams. I think that's where people get mad. Personally, it doesn't bother me. If in 2-3 years someone like Doncic or Giannis wants to force his way to Boston to form a superteam with the Jays, count me in.
I don't know if those teams were organic.  For example, Magic has said a number of times if the Lakers didn't win the coin flip, he was going to go back to Michigan State and finish college.  He only stayed in the draft because he wanted to play with Kareem.  Moses Malone won a MVP and forced his way out of Houston and ended up on a super team in Philly.  Kareem forced his way out of Milwaukee.  Wilt moved around a bunch.  So did Shaq.  Kobe refused to report to Charlotte so they had to trade him to the Lakers.  This notion that this is some new development just isn't borne in reality.  Everything is way more publicized today because of the internet and tv, so there is more focus on it, but this has been happening since basically the league started. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2021, 08:46:30 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740

I don't know if those teams were organic.  For example, Magic has said a number of times if the Lakers didn't win the coin flip, he was going to go back to Michigan State and finish college.  He only stayed in the draft because he wanted to play with Kareem.  Moses Malone won a MVP and forced his way out of Houston and ended up on a super team in Philly.  Kareem forced his way out of Milwaukee.  Wilt moved around a bunch.  So did Shaq.  Kobe refused to report to Charlotte so they had to trade him to the Lakers.  This notion that this is some new development just isn't borne in reality.  Everything is way more publicized today because of the internet and tv, so there is more focus on it, but this has been happening since basically the league started.

you don't know, we know lebrons teams were not

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2021, 08:47:21 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
He just want an excuse in case Lakers don’t win it
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2021, 08:50:38 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

the collusion Bron pulled off with Wade and Bosh in Miami sickens me.  it's one thing if a team's front office management pulls it off but to have the top players in the game collude to play together because they want to stack the deck in their favor is shameful and unworthy of any respect of their 'accomplishments'.  only title I give him credit for is the one he won in Cleveland.

I know I am not going to change Moranis' mind on this, but for what it is worth, Bosh is at 99% to go into the hall of game. Kevin love is at 70%. Irving and Wade are probably locks. Jordan really only played with one other hall of famer outside of Rodman who, while productive, was 34 when he got to the bulls and thought to be washed up before his arrival. For comparison, Rodman was 36 in the last title run and I believe that was same age as Ray Allen when he got there.   Guys like Grant, Armstrong, Kukoc are not sniffing the hall of fame.
And in the entirety of the 6 championship runs by the Bulls the 91 Pistons, 91 Lakers, and 97 and 98 Jazz are the only teams they beat that had more than 1 HOFer.  And most of the time Pippen was the 2nd best player on the floor (I think only Barkley, Shaq, and Malone were better and perhaps Payton).  Jordan was great, but he was also on the best team in the league with more talent then any of his competition.  I mean they won 55 games and a playoff series without him (that team also should have beaten the Knicks in that 7 game classic in the ECS - and the Knicks ended up 1 win away from winning the title). 

The 90's were quite simply a weak decade in the sport's history.  There was pretty significant expansion and the stars of the prior generation disappeared far more quickly then most stars did for artificial reason (Bird's back, Magic's disease) or just fell completely off a cliff earlier than most (Thomas).  I mean we saw this pretty clearly with the 94 Rockets.  As great as Hakeem was, that team was terrible, yet there it was winning the title and becoming arguably the worst champion in league history (seriously Otis Thorpe was the 2nd best player on that team).  From about 92 until about 03 or 04, the league just wasn't very good.  The Bulls were great, all time great (especially the last 3), but they were also beating teams that had at most 1 HOFer and that quite simply weren't very good.  I mean seriously look at the Pacers and Knicks.  They had 1 star, who wasn't a top tier star, and then a bunch of role players, yet they were winning a lot of games and pushing the Bulls.   

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2021, 08:53:33 PM »

Kiorrik

He just want an excuse in case Lakers don’t win it

Father time undefeated. Not necessarily an excuse; more an "I'm done."

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2021, 08:58:14 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

That ship has already long sailed.  No matter what these next few years bring, they''ll always be doubt that he is the greatest player of all-time.
If he wins 2 more titles, I don't think there will be doubt except for a few that either really hate Lebron or really love Jordan.  It will be really hard to argue anyone other than him if he ends up with 6 rings (that would give him at least 12 finals, same as Bill as well, though obviously Bill's wins won't be touched) and he is 1st all time in points, 3rd all time in assists, top 20 or so in rebounds, top 10 in steals.  He is all but guaranteed those placements barring a career ending injury.  The titles are the tricky one of course, but he very well might pick up his 5th in a couple more months.