Author Topic: I wish Smart would play more like Draymond.  (Read 4305 times)

Re: I wish Smart would play more like Draymond.
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2021, 06:32:24 AM »

Offline Bostonborn62

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Hustle like Cowens or have a seat
I wish Smart would just play... Smart. He makes Way too many dumb decisions for someone who has been in the League as long as he has, he thinks he's a weapon and the Coach obviously never put him in his place as to his role on when he should be shooting the ball. Marcus should NOT be a starter. he was much better coming off the bench. I don't think he's ever going to change so I would prefer they trade him when the season is over.

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2021, 06:54:52 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Ten shots, elite defense, 4 ast, 4 rebs. I'd be happy with that even if he missed eight of the ten shots. Be a elite role player stop trying to be the star.

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2021, 12:08:45 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
In games this year where Smart shoots it 12 or more times we are 4-13 - in the games he does not shoot it 12 times we are 30-18.
In 2019-20 we were 14-12 when he shot it 12+ times, and we were 34-12 in those he did not.
2018-19 we were 10-9 in games he shot it 10+ times (he only shot it 12+ times in 5 games), and in those games he did not we were 39-24.

So overall in the last three seasons we are 28-34 in those games and 103-54 (this is including games he didn't play in). Pretty startling difference there.

While I do agree that he should be more picky with his shots, I wonder how much of a factor injuries are in those stats? Coz from my eye test, he tends to shoot more when we are shorthanded, esp missing starters. I feel like smart tends to think he needs to do more when people are out.

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2021, 12:46:09 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
In games this year where Smart shoots it 12 or more times we are 4-13 - in the games he does not shoot it 12 times we are 30-18.
In 2019-20 we were 14-12 when he shot it 12+ times, and we were 34-12 in those he did not.
2018-19 we were 10-9 in games he shot it 10+ times (he only shot it 12+ times in 5 games), and in those games he did not we were 39-24.

So overall in the last three seasons we are 28-34 in those games and 103-54 (this is including games he didn't play in). Pretty startling difference there.

Can someone please relay this to Brad! Lol  :laugh:
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2021, 01:15:57 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

I wonder why people think coaches can magically just transform a player. There's a reason why there are lots of undisciplined players all over the nba no matter who the coaches are. While certainly coaches can influence them at some point, most of the time the player tendencies pushes through. If you push them too hard it might have the negative effect. Most of the time you live with the good and the bad.

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2021, 01:21:08 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

I wonder why people think coaches can magically just transform a player. There's a reason why there are lots of undisciplined players all over the nba no matter who the coaches are. While certainly coaches can influence them at some point, most of the time the player tendencies pushes through. If you push them too hard it might have the negative effect. Most of the time you live with the good and the bad.

They can’t transform a player, but they can tell players what their role is. For example, “Marcus, we need you to limit the shot attempts under 10 a game and focus more on being a pass first PG to get your teammates involved. That’s what’s best for the team.”

If Brad has no control over the players, he shouldn’t be the coach.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2021, 01:27:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Keith Smith just tweeted that Boston reserves shoot third best percentage from the floor and from 3, but take the second fewest shots and third fewest 3s.

Smart giving up more shots to bench guys like Nesmith and Pritchard and Fournier should make us a more efficient team offensively.  But it's not all on him.  I suppose you could make the case that Kemba should shoot less too. 

Of course, as our bench guys take more shots, their percentages will likely fall, so I suppose there is a relationship between those high/low stats Keith posted.

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2021, 01:30:56 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666

While I do agree that he should be more picky with his shots, I wonder how much of a factor injuries are in those stats? Coz from my eye test, he tends to shoot more when we are shorthanded, esp missing starters. I feel like smart tends to think he needs to do more when people are out.

This.  And the frustrating part is that he's right.  We had some games recently where Kemba was out, Jaylen was out, Fournier was either out or shooting 10%.  So Smart puts up 17 shots and people shred him for it... like we had a choice in the matter. 

If Smart is shooting 3-15 when we're at full strength, sure, go ahead and grill him.  But if he's doing it because we're missing a lot of guys and he's legitimately one of the only guys left on the active roster who can sort of create a shot, then maybe keep the context in mind when you start typing.  I feel the need to remind people that Tremont Waters started a game for us recently.  Romeo Langford saw time as the lead ball-handler in an actual NBA game recently.  Smart doesn't perform well as the de facto second or third option - not denying that - but our alternatives are often even worse. 

I say all of this as a guy who is not Smart's biggest fan, by the way.  I just think that Smart taking a large role in the offense when most of our good offensive players are out is perhaps not the battleground that I'd choose to fight at. 

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2021, 01:31:36 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

Yeah and not just injuries, Smart tends to shoot more when the team is playing badly and they need offense from elsewhere so he steps up and tries to give it. So injuries + bad team performances are a major factor in these numbers.

A correlation vs causation question.

Certainly both are at play but how much of each.

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2021, 01:37:12 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

while those stats are eye-catching and would strongly suggest that when Smart is a high volume shooter, he's hurting the team. 

My first question regarding those stats would be who was not playing in those games so that we can better understand if Smart's increased shot volume is due to star players being out.  If Tatum, Brown or Kemba (or any of the other top players in the past 3 seasons --Hayward being an excellent example) are out, I'd be surprised if Smart's shot attempts didn't increase because in all likelihood, he's quite possibly a better offensive option than whoever's in the game replacing those said star players -- as depressing as that may be.

If Smart's hoisting shots when we're at full strength, that's a serious problem if he's having an off night.  Question is, is the other team deliberately leaving him open to take them because they're daring him to beat them as opposed to our other players who really could carry our offense for stretches. 

if he's having a hot night, I say ride the hot hand (just avoid the really bad heat checks he's guaranteed to take). 

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2021, 02:06:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Draymond takes 2 two 3s a game at a truly horrid rate but he has almost 7 rebounds and nearly 8 assists per game. The Warriors only play Draymond 30 minutes a game. Smart takes 6 threes and averages nearly 6 assists a game.

end of the day, can't see him getting another extension. I doubt he will be traded also

So just got to wait it out

Nesmith looks ready to be Smart 2.0

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2021, 09:44:27 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

while those stats are eye-catching and would strongly suggest that when Smart is a high volume shooter, he's hurting the team. 

My first question regarding those stats would be who was not playing in those games so that we can better understand if Smart's increased shot volume is due to star players being out.  If Tatum, Brown or Kemba (or any of the other top players in the past 3 seasons --Hayward being an excellent example) are out, I'd be surprised if Smart's shot attempts didn't increase because in all likelihood, he's quite possibly a better offensive option than whoever's in the game replacing those said star players -- as depressing as that may be.

If Smart's hoisting shots when we're at full strength, that's a serious problem if he's having an off night.  Question is, is the other team deliberately leaving him open to take them because they're daring him to beat them as opposed to our other players who really could carry our offense for stretches. 

if he's having a hot night, I say ride the hot hand (just avoid the really bad heat checks he's guaranteed to take).
In 3 of his 4 highest shot games Tatum was out and in the other Brown was out.  walker missed 2 of those 4 games as well. 

I suspect that is pretty similar throughout those games.  That Smart shooting isn't why we are losing it is the fact that Smart has to shoot that much because the team is missing at least one of its premier scorers and those there are extra shots available. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2021, 12:51:43 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Correlation does not guarantee causation.

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2021, 01:21:30 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
In 3 of his 4 highest shot games Tatum was out and in the other Brown was out.  walker missed 2 of those 4 games as well. 

I suspect that is pretty similar throughout those games.  That Smart shooting isn't why we are losing it is the fact that Smart has to shoot that much because the team is missing at least one of its premier scorers and those there are extra shots available.

100%

Nail on the head.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain