Author Topic: I wish Smart would play more like Draymond.  (Read 4331 times)

I wish Smart would play more like Draymond.
« on: May 03, 2021, 08:01:38 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
Draymond takes 2 two 3s a game at a truly horrid rate but he has almost 7 rebounds and nearly 8 assists per game. The Warriors only play Draymond 30 minutes a game. Smart takes 6 threes and averages nearly 6 assists a game.

Re: I wish Smart would play more like Draymond.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 08:22:10 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
You could argue that Smart shoots too much but, not shooting isn't necessarily better.  That approach can wreck an offense as well.

At the end of the day, having a bad offensive player on the court is having a bad offensive player on the court.  The rest is lipstick on a pig.

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 08:26:48 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
You could argue that Smart shoots too much but, not shooting isn't necessarily better.  That approach can wreck an offense as well.

At the end of the day, having a bad offensive player on the court is having a bad offensive player on the court.  The rest is lipstick on a pig.

I don't mind smart taking shots in the flow of a game.  I love when smart is taking shots in the paint.  What I hate is smart chucking up 3s like he's Reggie Miller.  Marcus smart should also never attempt a heat check shot.  Marcus should be a 10 attempts per game type of player.  He just takes too many bad shots.

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 08:49:48 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

If you're wide open at the 3 point line you can shoot it or drive and kick. I would always rather Smart drive and kick or drive all the way to the hoop or shoot his little floater. TIMELORD takes no threes and he's still a threat on offense. I realize it's a different time but Dennis johnson averaged .5  3 point attempts for his career. Smart should play like Johnson. 

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 09:05:56 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Draymond takes 2 two 3s a game at a truly horrid rate but he has almost 7 rebounds and nearly 8 assists per game. The Warriors only play Draymond 30 minutes a game. Smart takes 6 threes and averages nearly 6 assists a game.

Totally agree. Problem is Brad allows it and even encourages Smart To take those shots. Marcus will miss two 3’s and then finally hit one and then he seems to think he’s hot and continues to fire away. The C’s have plenty of good 3pt shooters with Tatum, Brown, Pritchard, And Fournier. Even Semi and Grant have been making them at a decent clip. No reason for Smart to take six 3’s a game.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 09:07:42 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Draymond has horrid efficiency

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 09:10:25 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

But he doesn't shoot near as much as Smart.

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 09:12:29 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Totally agree. Problem is Brad allows it and even encourages Smart To take those shots. Marcus will miss two 3’s and then finally hit one and then he seems to think he’s hot and continues to fire away. The C’s have plenty of good 3pt shooters with Tatum, Brown, Pritchard, And Fournier. Even Semi and Grant have been making them at a decent clip. No reason for Smart to take six 3’s a game.

No reason at all and in the playoffs where every possession is precious I don't want Smart jacking up 6 threes a game.

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 09:28:51 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Overall, though, it can be argued that Smart’s threes don’t hurt the offense.  33.6% 3PT shooting still equates to 50.2% 2PT shooting.  It’s far from elite, but we probably break about even on those shots.

Dray’s 3PT shooting is the equivalent of shooting 37.2% from inside.  There’s no way that you can justify taking that shot, let alone twice per game.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 10:07:57 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Draymond is the first to win Marvel Area of Hereos!!!!

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 10:45:24 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I'm out on Smart unless he can realize he's a role player and play his role. He's playing too many minutes, taking too many shots, walking the ball up the floor, and pounding the ball at the top. He takes shots when better shooters are wide open. Also just making loads of dumb plays. His head is not in the game. Maybe he's thinking about his contract already next year. The excuse that he was going to be traded was the excuse when he was playing badly earlier this year. He has a good game now and then but he's horrible inconsistant.

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2021, 10:46:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Overall, though, it can be argued that Smart’s threes don’t hurt the offense.  33.6% 3PT shooting still equates to 50.2% 2PT shooting.  It’s far from elite, but we probably break about even on those shots.

Dray’s 3PT shooting is the equivalent of shooting 37.2% from inside.  There’s no way that you can justify taking that shot, let alone twice per game.
I don't think that this accounts for all the extra possessions the opposition gets, nor all the momentum stopped by him taking those shots.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2021, 12:35:36 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 731

Problem  with  that  argument is that Smart is streaky and will have  occasional big shooting nights that boost his %. He has too many bad nights when he just keeps shooting. Plus, he is a dumb player who turns the ball over too much and he has a soft coach who refuses to control him.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2021, 12:47:15 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Problem  with  that  argument is that Smart is streaky and will have  occasional big shooting nights that boost his %. He has too many bad nights when he just keeps shooting. Plus, he is a dumb player who turns the ball over too much and he has a soft coach who refuses to control him.

Smart is a below-average streaky 3 point shooter who shoots too much. The Celtics had players who were red hot last night and Smart is looking them off to jack up a three. It's just playing dumb. He's constantly trying to make a big play instead of just a simple one. There are 10 Celtics players shooting the 3 better than Smart. Tacko and TIMELORD have shot not 3s this year and Parker shot .7 3s so only Romeo, Edwards, and Kornet have shot worse than Marcus from 3 and none of them will see the floor in the playoffs.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 01:27:55 AM by liam »

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2021, 01:39:12 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
In games this year where Smart shoots it 12 or more times we are 4-13 - in the games he does not shoot it 12 times we are 30-18.
In 2019-20 we were 14-12 when he shot it 12+ times, and we were 34-12 in those he did not.
2018-19 we were 10-9 in games he shot it 10+ times (he only shot it 12+ times in 5 games), and in those games he did not we were 39-24.

So overall in the last three seasons we are 28-34 in those games and 103-54 (this is including games he didn't play in). Pretty startling difference there.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)