Author Topic: Boston Media: blow up the team  (Read 4055 times)

Re: Boston Media: blow up the team
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2021, 05:08:11 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
The way the team has played and how it looks like it has regressed I don't blame doubters. I say blow up is extreme yet DA did it before to Walker and Pierce so who knows. Clearly something is missing from this club this year and people's minds are on change. I blame the team's poor play for the media takes.

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2021, 05:56:50 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Today's Celtics are a better team than they were last year.
Deeper and more experienced.

This regular season is not a great indicator of real power.
Standings are misleading due to a pretty weird season.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2021, 06:59:44 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
As an outsider (living in another state) observing Boston Media, I think it is the reason some stars want out of town or didn't stay with the C's.

The entitlement of winning is a very real thing in Boston.  It is called title town, for years Boston has been competitive at sports.  I know there were downswings before but I think sometimes the media has expectations of going for a championship every year and rides the players etc.

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2021, 08:26:41 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I'm too lazy to look it up, but I bet the C's are near the top in missed games due to injury.

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2021, 08:28:35 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I'm too lazy to look it up, but I bet the C's are near the top in missed games due to injury.
#1 due to Covid but like #7 or #8 due to Covid and injuries.....at least, the last I checked about a week ago.

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2021, 08:42:02 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

This is how I feel. This is the entire story - covid and other time lost. Kemba missed like 40% of the season. We can be disappointed but I have trouble thinking we’re gonna flame out in the playoffs with a full team. Maybe I’m naive but what we’ve seen this season should be taken with a massive block of salt.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2021, 09:40:23 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

#1 due to Covid but like #7 or #8 due to Covid and injuries.....at least, the last I checked about a week ago.
Looks like Dallas may be ahead of Boston in covid related at this point and it appears Boston may be more in the middle in total games missed, though obviously there are ways to do the metric that change things.  Like how do you account for someone like Klay Thompson or Jonathan Isaac that isn't going to play at all this year, do you count him as games missed or not count him at all and act like he isn't on the roster. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2021, 09:48:02 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

This is how I feel. This is the entire story - covid and other time lost. Kemba missed like 40% of the season. We can be disappointed but I have trouble thinking we’re gonna flame out in the playoffs with a full team. Maybe I’m naive but what we’ve seen this season should be taken with a massive block of salt.

The next game the Celtics play with its presumptive top 7 will be its first game with them.  We’ve literally never seen what we hope to be our playoff rotation at full strength for a single game.

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2021, 09:54:41 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I don't give a crap of what the sports commentators think.  I use my own eyes and my brain - this team sucks and something is seriously wrong with it.  I don't know what the answer is but this team has got some kind of a problem that I don't think is going to get better with time. 

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2021, 10:00:40 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Looks like Dallas may be ahead of Boston in covid related at this point and it appears Boston may be more in the middle in total games missed, though obviously there are ways to do the metric that change things.  Like how do you account for someone like Klay Thompson or Jonathan Isaac that isn't going to play at all this year, do you count him as games missed or not count him at all and act like he isn't on the roster.
Spotrac has Boston 10th in total games lost. About 10 days ago they were 8th. Regarding Covid games lost, do you want to provide that link because last I checked Boston had a huge lead in player games lost due to Covid.

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2021, 10:08:15 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Spotrac has Boston 10th in total games lost. About 10 days ago they were 8th. Regarding Covid games lost, do you want to provide that link because last I checked Boston had a huge lead in player games lost due to Covid.

Here's the link for Covid days:  https://fansure.com/user/fansureFeed/detail/608

Celtics are still the leader by a wide margin (167 days to 118 for the Mavs whi sit at #2).  This data is for days in protocol, and not games missed, so perhaps there are other numbers that are slightly different, but it's unlikely to be so different as to push the Celtics from number 1, as the C's are nearly 50% more affected.

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2021, 10:08:53 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Since April 1, the Celtics are winning about 65% of their games.  That’s without a healthy team.  The idea of blowing this team up is just plain silly.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2021, 10:22:48 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
The league has gotten considerably better, particularly the eastern conference.

Normally you do need an MVP level player to win it all. Every decade or two a really strong team sneaks past that.

The league usually has a fairly clear dominant player or two. That appears to be over for now, with a half dozen or more players bunching up at the top, and a few more who are very young and not far off. Any one of them could take that next step. That makes for more unstable playoffs than usual.

We have more of a chance of Tatum and Brown both becoming top 10 players than we do of Tatum becoming an MVP candidate. I seem to see more in Brown than most posters on this site.

What makes it possible for us to win with them is that they are still improving, are both such strong defenders, and they don't shrink against the guys who they've faced who are the league's most dominant. We do have a chance.

We need a couple of other lucky breaks. We desperately need an infusion of passing and ball movement, and we need one or two unexpected young players to break out. But that sort of thing happens in the NBA fairly often.

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2021, 10:39:45 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Here's the link for Covid days:  https://fansure.com/user/fansureFeed/detail/608

Celtics are still the leader by a wide margin (167 days to 118 for the Mavs whi sit at #2).  This data is for days in protocol, and not games missed, so perhaps there are other numbers that are slightly different, but it's unlikely to be so different as to push the Celtics from number 1, as the C's are nearly 50% more affected.
TP, that's what I thought. That's why I asked Moranis for the link to his info because his claims appeared quite different than what I knew to be the case.

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2021, 11:20:11 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

the graphic I saw was for actual games missed, but it was on tv, so I don't have a link. They were close.  That said missing days, means missing practice, film study, etc.  So there is obviously a big negative to missing that many days.  And there is a lot of wiggle room in the days vs. games discussion.  Pursuant to that list Satoransky missed 28 days in the protocol, but when you look at the schedule he missed only 10 games.  Fournier is something like 27 days, 9 games (Thompson was 26 days, 13 games).  But Willie Cauley-Stein missed 25 days, but 14 games during that stretch, Kleber missed 21 days, but 11 games.  So days missed doesn't evenly equate to games missed since the two Mavs listed missed more games, but had less days off than Fournier or Satoransky.  Then you have guys like Langford that were in the covid protocol but also injured for some of that time, so does that count as a missed game for covid or not since he would have missed some games anyway (at one point during the covid protocols he was cleared to play and those games clearly count in the covid missed games list). 

Either way, whether Boston is 1st or 2nd in games missed, I don't think really changes much of anything as it has clearly negatively affected the team.  Especially for the players like Tatum that actually had covid and had lingering effects even when they left the protocols. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip