Author Topic: NFL 2021 Season  (Read 174970 times)

Re: NFL 2021 Season
« Reply #750 on: November 03, 2021, 02:42:56 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Why do ppl continue to drive while they out drinking?? Some ppl will never learn but unfortunately for Ruggs, he learn the hard way..my best friend was killed by a drunk driver in 1988

It’s insane.  Call a car.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #751 on: November 03, 2021, 04:24:52 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
156MPH is ridiculous. That poor young woman, and her pup. Hope he has a long prison stay
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #752 on: November 03, 2021, 04:32:13 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't know that it does the world any good to lock a person up forever for making such a horrible mistake. 

But it is a profound tragedy and I hope he uses whatever time and resources he has left to him to make amends.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #753 on: November 03, 2021, 04:38:18 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I don't know that it does the world any good to lock a person up forever for making such a horrible mistake. 

But it is a profound tragedy and I hope he uses whatever time and resources he has left to him to make amends.
I'd say taking away his ability to hurt someone again does the world a certain amount of good.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #754 on: November 03, 2021, 04:46:16 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Maybe by preventing him from killing any more innocent people? DUI is one thing. DUI at 156MPH shows a complete and utter disregard for the safety of those around him.

« Reply #755 on: November 03, 2021, 04:51:08 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Maybe by preventing him from killing any more innocent people? DUI is one thing. DUI at 156MPH shows a complete and utter disregard for the safety of those around him.
at 3:40 am and twice the legal limit.  I mean he is just checking off all of the boxes that add time to an offense. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #756 on: November 03, 2021, 04:52:28 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

at 3:40 am and twice the legal limit.  I mean he is just checking off all of the boxes that add time to an offense.
About as reckless as one can possibly drive.

To be honest, once I read the speed he was going at I thought he would have been far more under the influence than that.

« Reply #757 on: November 03, 2021, 04:55:48 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Is Ruggs getting the whole book thrown at him? It's starting to look like that. 15-20 years may be a realistic possibility.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #758 on: November 03, 2021, 05:08:21 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Is Ruggs getting the whole book thrown at him? It's starting to look like that. 15-20 years may be a realistic possibility.
Man, what a waste. He was looking at a pretty solid individual season (on track for 1000+ yards) and is still only 22. Decided to throw that all away.

Not like a millionaire pro athlete can't afford an uber. No excuse

« Reply #759 on: November 03, 2021, 06:18:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Forcing him into treatment and taking away his right to drive a vehicle might accomplish the same thing.  Not to say that's all that should happen to him. 

But putting a person in a cage for years and either never letting them out or only letting them out when they're old ... that's an enormous thing to do.  I'm generally very skeptical of the societal value of locking people up, especially for extended periods of time.

It's satisfying from an emotional standpoint, but hard to justify in terms of the cost and when you look for actual tangible benefits. 

The sad truth in the wake of a tragedy like this is that the person who died can no longer contribute anything positive to the world.  It is still possible that Ruggs could.  That's not an argument against punishment of any kind, but I do think it's important to push back against our cultural programming which tells us that people who make horrible tragic mistakes like this should be thrown away and forgotten about.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #760 on: November 03, 2021, 06:50:16 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Forcing him into treatment and taking away his right to drive a vehicle might accomplish the same thing.  Not to say that's all that should happen to him. 

But putting a person in a cage for years and either never letting them out or only letting them out when they're old ... that's an enormous thing to do.  I'm generally very skeptical of the societal value of locking people up, especially for extended periods of time.

It's satisfying from an emotional standpoint, but hard to justify in terms of the cost and when you look for actual tangible benefits. 

The sad truth in the wake of a tragedy like this is that the person who died can no longer contribute anything positive to the world.  It is still possible that Ruggs could.  That's not an argument against punishment of any kind, but I do think it's important to push back against our cultural programming which tells us that people who make horrible tragic mistakes like this should be thrown away and forgotten about.
Rehabilitating someone is the primary goal, for sure.

But you don’t, nor shouldn’t get to show such little regard for the safety of the community, killing a human and an animal, without there being something taken away from you.

That Ruggs did this, given he lost his closest friend to a car crash as a teen, indicates to me that personal experience doesn’t really impact his behaviour.

« Reply #761 on: November 05, 2021, 03:29:00 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
He'll be facing 20 years if found guilty.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #762 on: November 05, 2021, 05:59:06 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
So sad to see a 23 innocent victim killed by a drunk driver but we all see it every day..ppl will never learn bout drinking and driving but Ruggs learn the hard way
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #763 on: November 05, 2021, 06:50:25 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
So sad to see a 23 innocent victim killed by a drunk driver but we all see it every day..ppl will never learn bout drinking and driving but Ruggs learn the hard way

True. Unfortunately education around drinking and driving only goes so far.  Can’t put an end to  impulsive, thoughtless behavior when young, drunk, and the key to a fast car are involved.   It happens with older people too of course but acting  “responsibly” is mitigated by life circumstances in a free society - and youth and alcohol are big mitigating factors.  To be clear I’m talking about the reality of one’s  own sense of responsibility being mitigated.  Almost all of us who are well past our youth can look back on foolish things we did — irresponsible things we did.  Some of them risky to ourselves and some risky to others.  For that reason I hope there is a better sentence than just 20 years in prison.  Of course I don’t know what the exact combination of time, loss of license, treatment, education, community service,… is right.  The result of his actions may feel deserving of 20 years in prison, but I do question the value of it. 

« Reply #764 on: November 05, 2021, 09:15:29 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

It wasn't a mistake.  He chose to drive after drinking too much rather than calling a car service.  He chose to drive 150+ miles per hour.  Bad choices are not mistakes. 

The value of locking Ruggs up is that it holds him accountable.  If society doesn't do that, victims will be justified to seek their own accountability.  The value of locking Ruggs up is that he can't drive drunk and kill someone else while he's incarcerated.  The value of locking Ruggs up is that it will positively impact other people's choices at least temporarily.  Someone is going to call a car service or make sure to have a designated driver.