Author Topic: NFL 2021 Season  (Read 174848 times)

Re: NFL 2021 Season
« Reply #645 on: October 17, 2021, 08:05:34 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Tome to consider firing Belichick and McDaniels. This is a bad football team. Today’s defense was just brutal when it mattered. The record post Bradybis bad but the way the team looks is worse. No defense. No offense. No special teams.
Hilarious overreaction for an OT loss to a good Cowboys team

I don't think it's an overreaction. This team is very clownish right now. Finding ways to lose across the board. We barely beat an abysmal Houston team last week.

Belichick is getting exposed without Brady here to cover up his mistakes.

« Reply #646 on: October 17, 2021, 08:07:39 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
Game and probably season. I do like Mac though.

He has acquitted himself well considering how pitiful the o-line is. He is getting pressured like Mahones during the TB SB. That needs to atop.

« Reply #647 on: October 17, 2021, 08:23:38 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Thought the play calling again was very conservative at the end of game, just like it was vs Tampa. I put this loss on the coach. Taking the ball out of Macs hands with all the running plays in OT and thinking your (mediocre) defense can stop arguably the most prolific offense in the NFL is just arrogance.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 11:48:35 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #648 on: October 17, 2021, 09:25:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The Pats have been playing this year with a very conservative gameplan.  them losing another close game should not be a surprise because when you coach conservatively you lose more times then you win, especially when your roster on the whole isn't very good.  That said, Bill has that job until he doesn't want that job.  McDaniels, though, I think he could start to see his seat get warm if he continues down this playing not to lose path.  He has to take the reigns off and let Mac go.  He may fail, but at least you get to see what you have in him.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #649 on: October 17, 2021, 09:26:33 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Looking like Tom Brady was responsible for 90% of the Patriots' success right now. Previously was 80% lol

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #650 on: October 17, 2021, 09:58:53 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
The Pats have been playing this year with a very conservative gameplan.  them losing another close game should not be a surprise because when you coach conservatively you lose more times then you win, especially when your roster on the whole isn't very good.  That said, Bill has that job until he doesn't want that job.  McDaniels, though, I think he could start to see his seat get warm if he continues down this playing not to lose path.  He has to take the reigns off and let Mac go.  He may fail, but at least you get to see what you have in him.

BB and McDaniels are playing Martyball.

I hope Mac Jones's career here doesn't get stifled like Drew Brees's career in San Diego.

« Reply #651 on: October 17, 2021, 10:01:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Pats have to be conservative right now. They are playing with a patchwork offensive line. They don't have receivers that can create separation that opens up the vertical game. Their best and really only receiving back is out for the season. Their best receiving options are good but not great or dominant TEs. And they have a rookie QB, that even though has played incredibly for his age and experience, needs to be managed properly for the team to win.

For the Patriots to win this year, they have to win the time of possession. They have to have a sustained running game. They have to kill it with the double TE sets during passing downs because the WRs are not explosive, fast or large and powerful.

The Pats need to walk a fine line to win versus the best teams in this league, and the are trying like hell to do it. But all it takes is splay or two and things will go sideways quick.

This is a rebuilding year, lots of money spent in free agency or not. Develop Jones the right way. That is the most important thing to do. He has been about the best rookie in the league. He will pay dividends, just not this year, so you don't ruin his confidence or get him killed or let him think he doesn't have the chance to be the difference maker in winning.

The Pats will be fine but if people are expecting long playoff runs or 10+ win season this year, they're just fooling themselves.

« Reply #652 on: October 17, 2021, 10:59:09 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Pats have to be conservative right now. They are playing with a patchwork offensive line. They don't have receivers that can create separation that opens up the vertical game. Their best and really only receiving back is out for the season. Their best receiving options are good but not great or dominant TEs. And they have a rookie QB, that even though has played incredibly for his age and experience, needs to be managed properly for the team to win.

For the Patriots to win this year, they have to win the time of possession. They have to have a sustained running game. They have to kill it with the double TE sets during passing downs because the WRs are not explosive, fast or large and powerful.

The Pats need to walk a fine line to win versus the best teams in this league, and the are trying like hell to do it. But all it takes is splay or two and things will go sideways quick.

This is a rebuilding year, lots of money spent in free agency or not. Develop Jones the right way. That is the most important thing to do. He has been about the best rookie in the league. He will pay dividends, just not this year, so you don't ruin his confidence or get him killed or let him think he doesn't have the chance to be the difference maker in winning.

The Pats will be fine but if people are expecting long playoff runs or 10+ win season this year, they're just fooling themselves.

And whose fault is it that the receivers added this off-season don’t have the ability to create separation to open up the vertical game? Team Spent $100M+ between Jonnu Smith, Hunter Henry and Nelson Agholor and they are massively underperforming. Agholor with 1 reception for 27 yards today and Jonnu Smith with 1 reception for 9 yards. It’s a joke. They have less than 200 yards receiving through 6 games and only 1 TD each. Could have had both Emanuel Sanders and Marvin Jones Jr for less than Agholor’s salary. Kraft should be furious with the how poorly the team is performing considering how much money he allowed Bill to spend this off-season.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 11:09:18 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #653 on: October 17, 2021, 11:04:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I actually disagree with your conclusion.  When your OL isn't that good, you need to create big explosive plays.  You can't play the conservative game, because they aren't going to be able to hang on long enough.  The Pats need to score fast and get the OL off the field.  They need to let Mac go and see if he really can be the long term guy. 

I do agree it is a rebuilding year, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't try to win games.  They are playing not to lose and not playing to win.  They should have beaten Miami, Tampa, and Dallas, but failed because they didn't trust Mac to go out and win the game. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #654 on: October 17, 2021, 11:38:05 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I find it very suspicious that now that Patricia is back, our defense is horrible again, just as it was in 2017 (the year before Patricia left to become the Lions coach). We won the Super Bowl that year but man our defense was bad that year. I suppose it's just an amazing coincidence.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #655 on: October 17, 2021, 11:44:13 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
When did McDaniels and Bill become such pansy playcallers? That punt at the end of the half was such a cowardly move, and that punt in OT was practically giving the Cowboys the game. I'm starting to think Brady filtered out most of McDaniels' dumb ideas. Give Mac the keys and let him cook, for god's sake.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #656 on: October 17, 2021, 11:48:23 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I find it very suspicious that now that Patricia is back, our defense is horrible again, just as it was in 2017 (the year before Patricia left to become the Lions coach). We won the Super Bowl that year but man our defense was bad that year. I suppose it's just an amazing coincidence.
It really does feel like we're bring back the patented Patricia "bend, but don't break" defense. Just let the other team go up and down the field, that'll totally work against any team that isn't awful.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #657 on: October 18, 2021, 12:21:26 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
The playcalling sucks and they are overly conservative, but I think they punched above their weight against top teams like Dallas and TB while underachieving against less talented teams like Miami and Houston.

I’d give Belichick more than 6 games with a QB other than Cam to establish himself post-Brady, though I think it’s clear who was the biggest driver of the teams success (and always has been).
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #658 on: October 18, 2021, 12:57:34 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I actually disagree with your conclusion.  When your OL isn't that good, you need to create big explosive plays.  You can't play the conservative game, because they aren't going to be able to hang on long enough.  The Pats need to score fast and get the OL off the field.  They need to let Mac go and see if he really can be the long term guy. 

I do agree it is a rebuilding year, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't try to win games.  They are playing not to lose and not playing to win.  They should have beaten Miami, Tampa, and Dallas, but failed because they didn't trust Mac to go out and win the game.
Absolutely ridiculous.

To develop the vertical passing game you need an O-line to give the QB and receivers time to make the play develop, unless the WRs are super fast and able to create separation on a regular basis. And that's if the defense is playing man and not hanging coverage 2 on the backside.

And....at this point, the best interest of the team as a whole is to have long sustained drives to keep the defense off the field. That means running the ball with high percentage completion passing game mixed in.

Your idea of developing a QB is asinine. You bring them along at a slower pace and manage them. You don't hang them out to dry and get them pulverized because they are sitting back there waiting for plays to develop. You don't kill their confidence. You don't make them feel like they have to be a hero for the team to win.

Given the injuries and personnel, Belichick is handling Jones perfectly. Mac is getting better every week. They are adding new wrinkles in every week. When Jones can go up to the line of scrimmage and be able to audible into anything he wants and pull it off with success, the will let him loose. Mac ain't there yet so you manage him and the game until you don't have to. They aren't there yet.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 02:35:19 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #659 on: October 18, 2021, 05:19:09 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
When did McDaniels and Bill become such pansy playcallers? That punt at the end of the half was such a cowardly move, and that punt in OT was practically giving the Cowboys the game. I'm starting to think Brady filtered out most of McDaniels' dumb ideas. Give Mac the keys and let him cook, for god's sake.
I've long publicly thought that McDaniels has sucked for a long time. Was praying some team would be able to lure him away, but it seems like him being a jerk to teams trying to hire him has made those opportunities dry up.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)