Author Topic: NFL 2021 Season  (Read 174988 times)

Re: NFL 2021 Season
« Reply #600 on: October 11, 2021, 11:40:54 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Wow, the Colts literally choking.

They were up by as much as 25-9 in the 4th quarter, and now we're in OT.

Choke complete. I would've won my pick'em pool this week if the Colts could've just, you know, made a field goal.

Somebody in Indy should get fired tonight

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #601 on: October 11, 2021, 11:45:53 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
As a Ravens fan I'll take 4-1, but they have played 5 super ugly games.  Outside of Denver they could have won or lost any of the other 4 and certainly should have lost to Indy and KC (though should have beaten Vegas).  Just a weird season, but 4-1 is 4-1 and a pretty good place to be.

They also failed to reach 100 yards rushing so their NFL record tying streak ends without them getting into 1st place all alone.  Lamar threw for 442 yards though on an amazing 37 of 43 with 4 TD's.  Absolutely amazing performance throwing the ball.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #602 on: October 11, 2021, 11:58:45 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
As a Ravens fan I'll take 4-1, but they have played 5 super ugly games.  Outside of Denver they could have won or lost any of the other 4 and certainly should have lost to Indy and KC (though should have beaten Vegas).  Just a weird season, but 4-1 is 4-1 and a pretty good place to be.

They also failed to reach 100 yards rushing so their NFL record tying streak ends without them getting into 1st place all alone.  Lamar threw for 442 yards though on an amazing 37 of 43 with 4 TD's.  Absolutely amazing performance throwing the ball.

It helps that he was facing a high-school defense in the fourth quarter. (Yes, I'm bitter—the Colts cost me $30!)
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #603 on: October 11, 2021, 11:59:47 PM »

• Satch Sanders
Wow, the Colts literally choking.

They were up by as much as 25-9 in the 4th quarter, and now we're in OT.

Choke complete. I would've won my pick'em pool this week if the Colts could've just, you know, made a field goal.

Somebody in Indy should get fired tonight

Yup. Frank Reich, especially.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #604 on: October 12, 2021, 12:33:54 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Glad to see Jon Gruden gone. What a POS. Impossible for him to remain in that locker-room with dozens of African-Americans and the only active gay player in the league.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #605 on: October 12, 2021, 08:12:22 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
Glad to see Jon Gruden gone. What a POS. Impossible for him to remain in that locker-room with dozens of African-Americans and the only active gay player in the league.

I agree. Those emails read that he is, in fact, a POS.

Also, he'd have a job today if he was a good coach. He hasn't been good in 20 years.

« Reply #606 on: October 12, 2021, 08:27:51 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

It helps that he was facing a high-school defense in the fourth quarter. (Yes, I'm bitter—the Colts cost me $30!)
why would you pick the Colts?  They have been awful this year and the game was on the road at night (Ravens were something like 16-2 in night games under Harbaugh entering the game).   Yeah, they should have won as the game played out, but there is a reason they were a heavy underdog entering the game.

« Reply #607 on: October 12, 2021, 10:59:20 AM »

• Satch Sanders

why would you pick the Colts?  They have been awful this year and the game was on the road at night (Ravens were something like 16-2 in night games under Harbaugh entering the game).   Yeah, they should have won as the game played out, but there is a reason they were a heavy underdog entering the game.

I'm in a pick'em league, and one strategy that people sometimes use (especially those of us who are low in the standings and need to take more risks to catch up) is to make high-risk/high-reward moves. I was the only one in my league who picked the Colts, and if they'd have won, I'd have won the week. And let's face it, in the NFL, any team can beat any other team in any given week, regardless of the true ability of either team. Credit to the Ravens for the comeback, but the Colts straight-up choked.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #608 on: October 12, 2021, 11:47:42 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I'm in a pick'em league, and one strategy that people sometimes use (especially those of us who are low in the standings and need to take more risks to catch up) is to make high-risk/high-reward moves. I was the only one in my league who picked the Colts, and if they'd have won, I'd have won the week. And let's face it, in the NFL, any team can beat any other team in any given week, regardless of the true ability of either team. Credit to the Ravens for the comeback, but the Colts straight-up choked.
Ah.  Bonus points for upsets.  That makes sense then.  Given how the Ravens have played they are certainly prone to win or lose any game. 

« Reply #609 on: October 12, 2021, 11:53:04 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I'm in my mid 30s. In my college years and shortly after I was definitely still using what would be considered homophobic slurs today, but as the culture shifted and I became more aware, I stopped. Should my actions from back then result in termination from my job today?

I'm not saying its right. I'm certainly not defending Gruden or the remarks, and I'm definitely not arguing that they should be acceptable language in our culture. Kindness and sensitivity in language is a good virtue.

But I have a certain sympathy and sensitivity toward Gruden too, because there has to be a social and cultural statute of limitations on something like this, especially due to the speed at which our culture gained sensitivity toward it.

Guess I could pontificate more on social morality and how those things can change quickly, and how easy it is too judge how things were when they have changed, or how there are things we do today that could easily be frowned upon or maligned in 10-15 years as well, and how we may be setting precedents for our own downfall later.

« Reply #610 on: October 12, 2021, 11:59:24 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I'm in my mid 30s. In my college years and shortly after I was definitely still using what would be considered homophobic slurs today, but as the culture shifted and I became more aware, I stopped. Should my actions from back then result in termination from my job today?

I'm not saying its right. I'm certainly not defending Gruden or the remarks, and I'm definitely not arguing that they should be acceptable language in our culture. Kindness and sensitivity in language is a good virtue.

But I have a certain sympathy and sensitivity toward Gruden too, because there has to be a social and cultural statute of limitations on something like this, especially due to the speed at which our culture gained sensitivity toward it.

Guess I could pontificate more on social morality and how those things can change quickly, and how easy it is too judge how things were when they have changed, or how there are things we do today that could easily be frowned upon or maligned in 10-15 years as well, and how we may be setting precedents for our own downfall later.
These weren't from his college days.  They were over a span of 7 years when he was in his 40's and 50's ending 3 years ago.  They were to executives at NFL teams.  And they were abhorrent not just because he used the terms, but how he used the terms, who he was talking about, etc.  What Gruden did was indefensible and he should have just stepped down when the first email was released on Friday because Gruden knew what else was going to come out. 

« Reply #611 on: October 12, 2021, 12:11:24 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59

If this were Belichick, he'd still have a job. Gruden stinks (and he's a jerk).

« Reply #612 on: October 12, 2021, 01:24:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

No he wouldn't.  no coach could survive those emails. 

« Reply #613 on: October 12, 2021, 01:51:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Yeah, when you put fingers to keyboard and starting writing horrible stuff  that can't be deleted, you're cooked, no matter who you are.

Gruden dropped the homophobic f-word bomb, the mysogynistic p-word bomb and made fun of a black guys big lips, a terrible racist trope.

No coach survives digital proof of that type of communication.

As an aside, Belichick's cool, emotionless demeanor certainly makes it seem he would never be caught saying or writing such garbage. He also doesn't seem like a guy that judges people in the ways Gruden obviously does.

« Reply #614 on: October 12, 2021, 02:18:05 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Yeah, when you put fingers to keyboard and starting writing horrible stuff  that can't be deleted, you're cooked, no matter who you are.

Gruden dropped the homophobic f-word bomb, the mysogynistic p-word bomb and made fun of a black guys big lips, a terrible racist trope.

No coach survives digital proof of that type of communication.

As an aside, Belichick's cool, emotionless demeanor certainly makes it seem he would never be caught saying or writing such garbage. He also doesn't seem like a guy that judges people in the ways Gruden obviously does.
Yeah.  I want to be clear, I don't think Bill thinks that way and certainly is smart enough to never put that sort of thing in writing even if he did, I was just commenting on the point that Bill would have kept his job had he sent those emails.  I think he pretty clearly would not have.  Those are awful emails from a man that has no business being in the sport.

It also pretty apparent that Gruden kept sending those type of emails to guys like Bruce Allen, because Bruce Allen never objected to him doing so.  So Gruden is pretty clearly not alone in his awful and clearly outdated homophobic, mysogynistic, and racist ways.