Author Topic: Not our time?  (Read 10356 times)

Re: Not our time?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2021, 05:03:38 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
This season is a condensed 72+ games without the playoffs and the top teams have 10+ season and/or injury prone veterans. Attrition will play a more prominent role in who wins the Championship this season.

Of the final 8 playoff bubble teams, which teams haven’t had a slow start or injuries to a star player? Despite the panic button being pushed for this team, it’s young and equipped for this type of season.

When healthy, this team is a title contender, but Brad has to coach this team into reaching its full potential. He has done an excellent job overall, but poorly in his player rotation management and offensive strategy, especially closing games. If he doesn’t figure it out, we will need to acquire an attainable elite floor general like Lowry or an assistant coach that can help him with it (i.e. how about creating and attacking mismatches?).

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2021, 05:24:56 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

I don’t really see how his play in the NCAA tournament is relevant at this point. From what I’ve seen this year, he typically doesn’t play well in games against quality opponents and for the most part has not performed in the critical moments of  games.

LOL from what you've seen this year as in, while he's been coming off a knee injury?

The relevance of the NCAA reference is that Kemba has been known as a late game performer for his whole career, dating back to his time in college.

Check out this from 2016:

https://www.atthehive.com/2016/1/27/10836002/kemba-walker-has-truly-earned-the-nickname-cardiac-kemba

There's a reason he's been known as "Cardiac Kemba."

Is he still able to do that, given his knee issues?  Could be the answer is no.  But that's not because of some kind of mental fragility or lack of composure on his part.  There are plenty of flaws to point out in Kemba's game.  "Folding under pressure" has never been one of them.

How long are people going to continue to use this, “well, he’s just coming off of a knee injury, so that’s why he’s missing so many shots and under performing”. He’s played 15 game’s  and we are going into month two of his return. We are being told that the knee is “pain free”.  At what point do the excuses stop? You think it’s significant at this point that he won an NCAA title and earned a nickname for playing well in college, Lol. Him being clutch 12 years ago does not matter. What has he done lately? Let’s try within the last few years.

It is like being known as a clutch hitter in baseball.  It is probably not a real thing anyway and even if it is, you are going to be a whole lot less clutch coming off injury  than you are when you are fully healthy.

Kemba can hit big shots for us if he is healthy and if he has played off all the "rust".  Kemba had good "clutch" numbers last season according to NBA.com  41.4% 3P% (12-29).  I don't think Kemba is going to shrink from the bright lights.  That is the least of my worries.

He is trending towards better and better (more back to normal).  It takes longer to recover the older you are and to get your "Clutch" back probably takes longer than getting your normal game back.

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2021, 05:48:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

How long are people going to continue to use this, “well, he’s just coming off of a knee injury, so that’s why he’s missing so many shots and under performing”.

I dunno, like, a few months at least? 

Are you a goldfish?  How far back does your memory extend?

We've seen players with zero injuries at all go through cold slumps longer than 15 games. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2021, 06:04:00 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

How long are people going to continue to use this, “well, he’s just coming off of a knee injury, so that’s why he’s missing so many shots and under performing”.

We've seen players with zero injuries at all go through cold slumps longer than 15 games.

Then when we hit the 2 month mark you will say that he needs 6 months and then so on and so fourth... Maybe he just needs the rest of the year and then by next season he will be back to being Clutch UConn Kemba.  ;)
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2021, 06:25:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Then when we hit the 2 month mark you will say that he needs 6 months and then so on and so fourth... Maybe he just needs the rest of the year and then by next season he will be back to being Clutch UConn Kemba.  ;)

Look I know it's more satisfying to have a hot take in the moment based on what you've seen in the last 5-10 games, but some things take time to fully develop.

It may be the case that Kemba is simply toast.  Or maybe by the time the playoffs come around he might be looking pretty good. 

I remember people were also writing off Gordon Hayward when he was coming off that ankle injury.  At times I was one of those people.  Now he looks pretty much as good as ever.

Kemba is a smaller guard past age 30 so there's less reason for optimism about his ability to get back to a high level.  But right now people are acting like he's not an NBA player anymore and never will be again.  I think it's far more likely that we'll see him get back to at least 75-80% of what he was. 

There's no way to say for sure who is right until more time has passed.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2021, 06:29:58 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Excuse me, we have the TIMELORD on this team

:laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2021, 06:30:25 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Look I know it's more satisfying to have a hot take in the moment based on what you've seen in the last 5-10 games, but some things take time to fully develop.

It may be the case that Kemba is simply toast.  Or maybe by the time the playoffs come around he might be looking pretty good. 

I remember people were also writing off Gordon Hayward when he was coming off that ankle injury.  At times I was one of those people.  Now he looks pretty much as good as ever.

Kemba is a smaller guard past age 30 so there's less reason for optimism about his ability to get back to a high level.  But right now people are acting like he's not an NBA player anymore and never will be again.  I think it's far more likely that we'll see him get back to at least 75-80% of what he was. 

This isn't a fantasy team. They are led by two young players. Kemba can come back 100% but I still maintain depending on him and Smart to be this team's backcourt isn't a good idea. They just don't compliment Tatum and Brown at all. They are ball stoppers.

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2021, 06:52:59 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

This isn't a fantasy team. They are led by two young players. Kemba can come back 100% but I still maintain depending on him and Smart to be this team's backcourt isn't a good idea. They just don't compliment Tatum and Brown at all. They are ball stoppers.

I agree with the part that whether Kemba comes back to 80/90% of himself or not, he has to go.
If Kemba is still on the team when the new season starts then I'd be very disappointed.

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2021, 06:58:06 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

He was 17-31 from 3 in the 4 games prior to the 1-12 nightmare.  He was also playing his 4th game in 6 days yesterday. 

In addition, the eye test (no stats) tells me he's been finishing better at the hoop after being blocked on almost every attempt in his first dozen (?) games.

So I'd give it more time.

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2021, 07:09:06 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Hope nobody ever has a bad knee injury like Kemba but if you ever do, feel free to go on the basketball court and expect be to the same months later. Same thoughts on Hayward after his brutal injury....so many right Hayward would never return to form as well and that took a long long time.

Sorry Kemba is not the bionic man and cannot simply just come back like before right away.

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2021, 07:11:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I don't agree at all.  I think both Kemba and Smart make decisions fairly quickly with the ball.  Smart looks to pass more than Kemba does, but I don't see either of them as a detriment to J&J. 

Maybe eventually either Jayson or Jaylen will develop enough court vision and passing acumen that they can run the offense.  In that case, it'll be better to have guys like Seth Curry and Danny Green around them rather than guards in the vein of Kemba and Smart.  That's not the current situation.

I would prefer to have a player like Malcolm Brogdon, for example.  A younger Kyle Lowry would be the perfect complement to Jay & Jay.

If you move off Kemba, though, who are you realistically getting to replace him?  Eric Bledsoe?  Ricky Rubio?  These aren't upgrades.

There's a balance to strike between talent and fit but I don't think there are any guys out there who seem like plausible targets in a trade who would be enough of an upgrade fit-wise to be worth the downgrade in talent / scoring ability -- assuming Kemba does eventually get back to 75-80%+ of what he was.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2021, 10:26:27 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
There is no trade that gets the Celtics past the Nets. Have to Play the long game. Danny knows.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2021, 10:32:22 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I remember Tatum and Brown elevating their games in the playoffs in 3 of the last four playoffs carrying us to the semifinals.  I’d like to add to the team to see them have a chance to do it again and hopefully go further.

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2021, 10:46:16 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I remember Tatum and Brown elevating their games in the playoffs in 3 of the last four playoffs carrying us to the semifinals.  I’d like to add to the team to see them have a chance to do it again and hopefully go further.

Only year we didn't make it was the Kyrie quitting on the team year.

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2021, 10:48:22 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Agree. Another solid player could make a difference. A significant player could make a big difference. Thin market for a buyer though.